Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Transmute and Duchess: SUPER COMBO  (Read 3505 times)

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
Transmute and Duchess: SUPER COMBO
« on: January 31, 2012, 11:46:28 pm »

Okay, okay, just saying "Transmute and Duchess can make beautiful music together" is perhaps not telling the full story.  But I just played a game where these two normally-horrible cards worked together quite well, or rather I should say they both worked well with something else that's normally a horrible idea: the first-turn Mint.

Setup: Chancellor, Conspirator, Duchess, Hoard, Island, Jester, Mint, Potion, Scrying Pool, Talisman, and Transmute

Duchess is actually a good companion to the first-turn Mint, because its $2 makes it highly likely that you can actually buy something useful in a deck that's over half dead cards.  And with all those Coppers gone, the Transmute is likely to actually be able to hook up with Estates and make Gold.  Now, normally I'd be all over the Scrying Pools and Conspirators, especially with Jester as a payload attack which is made better with Scrying, but lack of +Buy is an issue, and hey Hoard is around to further give incentives to go Gold instead.  So I buy the Potion on turn 3 with an eye towards the Transmutes, and spend $2P on a Transmute!  (I only want one, though, so I get a Pool at some point because I can't buy anything better).  My opponent does a good job of gunking up my deck with a flood of Jester-given Potions and Curses, taking the Pool-Conspirator route, but there was enough Gold to grab six Provinces anyway.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201201/31/game-20120131-201942-bd1c8c37.html

...Actually, given the lack of +Buy, I seriously wonder whether the right move on 4/3 would have been to open Chancellor with an eye toward Hoard-BM?  But targeted Jester is hard to pass up, if it starts routinely giving out Curses.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 12:52:10 am by chwhite »
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

kn1tt3r

• Minion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
Re: Transmute and Duchess: SUPER COMBO
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 12:46:06 am »

This sounds very nice, but you have to get very lucky to draw $4 soon enough to really make this work. Often you even have trouble hitting $3. But if this works, it's great of course. Maybe even better with Embargo, to embargo the Golds early.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 12:48:21 am by kn1tt3r »

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 03:47:04 am »

An Embargo on the Conspirators would've made a weird game. Nice strategy though.

Asklepios

• Duke
  • Respect: +116
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 04:05:02 am »

Looks good.

My only comment is that likely the bulk of your speed came from a 5/2 split using Mint and a $2 card that gives +$2, which is always a fast opening. Also, I can't help but think that if your initial potion had been a silver, you'd have been hitting hoards then provinces even sooner.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 07:09:41 am »
+2

I thought you were going to transmute your duchess into a duchy and gain another duchess, which might be interesting in its own way.

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 11:11:17 am »

Looks good.

My only comment is that likely the bulk of your speed came from a 5/2 split using Mint and a $2 card that gives +$2, which is always a fast opening. Also, I can't help but think that if your initial potion had been a silver, you'd have been hitting hoards then provinces even sooner.

That's definitely possible.  FWIW had I drawn $3 instead of $4 on turn 3 I would've just bought the Silver for sure and ignored Transmutes.
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 11:50:26 am »

This is one of those situations where mandarin/mint is good. While Duchess might stick you with $3, mandarin will almost always get you $4.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 21 queries.