Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Crowd-sourcing: Bragging contest  (Read 1788 times)

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
Crowd-sourcing: Bragging contest
« on: October 06, 2016, 03:48:46 pm »
+1

I'm figuring out how to run a bragging contest at an upcoming convention, and I figure why do this by myself? I can tap the hive mind.

I'm thinking of written boasts. The nature is up to the participant, but it's a gaming convention, so boasts geared toward outrageous things done or not done as an RPG would be pretty cool. But you know, if you can pull off an epic boast about accounting, go for it, man.

The logistics I have in my head is that submissions are accepted on Thursday and Friday. I may even keep it open Saturday morning until noon so that late arrivals have a chance to submit a boast. The boast must be within X words (50 or 100, probably). If I do this using Google Forms, then maybe a character count instead.

You submit your boast electronically. If you do not have a phone/tablet, then a computer will be available at the registration desk.

When the submissions are done, the boasts are available online to read anonymously (mostly, may track and vote by badge number). Attendees vote for their favorite three boasts. This part may just be done with paper ballots unless I want to figure out a way to prevent digital ballot stuffing. In meatspace, ballot-stuffing is more awkward to pull off since you have to endure the judgmental eyes of con staff.

Winner is announced/posted Saturday night or Sunday morning.

Any thoughts on a better way to run this? Any challenges you see that could bite me in the butt?
A man has no signature

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
Re: Crowd-sourcing: Bragging contest
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 03:56:28 pm »
+2

I'm figuring out how to run a bragging contest at an upcoming convention, and I figure why do this by myself? I can tap the hive mind.

I'm thinking of written boasts. The nature is up to the participant, but it's a gaming convention, so boasts geared toward outrageous things done or not done as an RPG would be pretty cool. But you know, if you can pull off an epic boast about accounting, go for it, man.

The logistics I have in my head is that submissions are accepted on Thursday and Friday. I may even keep it open Saturday morning until noon so that late arrivals have a chance to submit a boast. The boast must be within X words (50 or 100, probably). If I do this using Google Forms, then maybe a character count instead.

You submit your boast electronically. If you do not have a phone/tablet, then a computer will be available at the registration desk.

When the submissions are done, the boasts are available online to read anonymously (mostly, may track and vote by badge number). Attendees vote for their favorite three boasts. This part may just be done with paper ballots unless I want to figure out a way to prevent digital ballot stuffing. In meatspace, ballot-stuffing is more awkward to pull off since you have to endure the judgmental eyes of con staff.

Winner is announced/posted Saturday night or Sunday morning.

Any thoughts on a better way to run this? Any challenges you see that could bite me in the butt?

If you win, are you allowed to submit your winning of this contest in the next bragging contest?

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 04:22:38 pm »

Oh man, wouldn't doing this as a live game be so much cooler?  Take the top, say, five vote-getters and have them out-boast each other live?

Also, for the record, these aren't expected to be true stories, right?  The whole point of competitive boasting is to tell the biggest barely-believable whopper you can.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 08:13:33 pm »
+4

grumble grumble college application essays
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2016, 12:09:44 am »
+3

I've created and hosted the best bragging contest there ever was.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2016, 08:24:53 am »
+2

why not just cut out the middleman and have a rap battle
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2016, 08:28:03 am »

... standing on one leg and with my arms tied behind my back.

thespaceinvader

• Minion
  • Respect: +120
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2016, 09:01:07 am »

And I won it, by saying only a SINGLE WORD.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 20 queries.