Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Is the card from Secret Passage really secret?  (Read 7708 times)

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
Is the card from Secret Passage really secret?
« on: October 06, 2016, 10:12:40 am »
+3

Is it common knowledge to my opponent where I have put my card? I mean he obviously sees if I have put it on top or on the bottom, but how about if I count the cards and put it as the 6th card. Does my opponent know that or can I count in secret?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Re: Is the card from Secret Passage really secret?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 10:49:07 am »

I imagine that you can secretly put it anywhere. I base this off the fact that in order to put it 6th from the top, the most natural way to do it would be to take your deck in your hand and count out the 6 cards; which is a process that pretty naturally hides itself from your opponent.

Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 11:58:04 am »
+2

On the other hand, having one player manipulate their deck in secret is not great for accountability.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 12:13:13 pm »

Can't your opponent ask you to count your deck?  I feel like this implies your deck is always 'visible' to your opponent.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 12:16:27 pm »
+2

On the other hand, having one player manipulate their deck in secret is not great for accountability.

This makes me change my mind completely.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2016, 01:05:03 pm »

Can't your opponent ask you to count your deck?  I feel like this implies your deck is always 'visible' to your opponent.
Not sure about the new edition, but you used to only be allowed to count your own draw pile.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 01:06:24 pm by Watno »

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2016, 01:05:58 pm »

Not sure about the new edition, but you used to onyl be allowed to count your own draw pile.

Oh, maybe I'm wrong then.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2016, 01:09:51 pm »
+1

Not sure about the new edition, but you used to only be allowed to count your own draw pile.

Dominion online allows both your own and the opponent's deck pile count

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2016, 02:29:36 pm »

Dominion online allows both your own and the opponent's deck pile count

But IRL, you may only count your own deck.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2016, 02:30:38 pm »

You don't count another man's deck.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2016, 05:33:07 pm »

You don't count another man's deck.

You can count your deck
You can count your friends
But you can't count your friends' Moat
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2016, 05:36:39 pm »
+7

Is it common knowledge to my opponent where I have put my card? I mean he obviously sees if I have put it on top or on the bottom, but how about if I count the cards and put it as the 6th card. Does my opponent know that or can I count in secret?
I am going to broadly rule that you can't hide your deck while doing things with it.

I assume the situation is Swindler; I can e.g. put Province there to push the end of the game, take that, or a Curse that now will turn into Copper; but maybe I didn't draw the Province or whatever I wanted so I put a Copper 5th and hope you think it was a Province 6th and don't play Swindler, which might nuke a Duchy, which you might call me on so man why not put something 6th and be safe, but there's what's my hand, oh it was all Coppers and I'd rather risk the -3 VP than guarantee the -1 VP as it turns out this particular time.

In general I don't keep information private unless it's naturally private. I specify in the rulebooks; money and number of cards in hand (for whatever game) are public. People look it up, a rare actual use of rulebooks. It's the classic case of, you could just keep track; let's not add tracking that to the game.

In that spirit, you do not get to hide where the card goes, if they care, which they mostly shouldn't. Since you can't hide your deck, it would be possible to visually tell, and let's not make this a vision contest. If you just kind of randomly stick the card in there, that's also public, not the exact position but that you did it kind of randomly. If you are trying to make it look random while counting down 6 I will ban you from the tournaments I run (I do not run tournaments).

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2016, 05:43:10 pm »

You can count your deck
You can count your friends
But you can't count your friends' Moat
But you can't place your friends' bets on a nameless grace

Game Theory - Last Day That We're Young

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2016, 06:17:51 pm »

I am going to broadly rule that you can't hide your deck while doing things with it.

I assume the situation is Swindler; I can e.g. put Province there to push the end of the game, take that, or a Curse that now will turn into Copper; but maybe I didn't draw the Province or whatever I wanted so I put a Copper 5th and hope you think it was a Province 6th and don't play Swindler, which might nuke a Duchy, which you might call me on so man why not put something 6th and be safe, but there's what's my hand, oh it was all Coppers and I'd rather risk the -3 VP than guarantee the -1 VP as it turns out this particular time.

In general I don't keep information private unless it's naturally private. I specify in the rulebooks; money and number of cards in hand (for whatever game) are public. People look it up, a rare actual use of rulebooks. It's the classic case of, you could just keep track; let's not add tracking that to the game.

In that spirit, you do not get to hide where the card goes, if they care, which they mostly shouldn't. Since you can't hide your deck, it would be possible to visually tell, and let's not make this a vision contest. If you just kind of randomly stick the card in there, that's also public, not the exact position but that you did it kind of randomly. If you are trying to make it look random while counting down 6 I will ban you from the tournaments I run (I do not run tournaments).

So to confirm, this also gives us another ruling, that "anywhere in your deck" includes "generally somewhere in the middle", and doesn't have to be an exact number of cards from the top that you decide on.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2016, 06:24:49 pm »
+3

So to confirm, this also gives us another ruling, that "anywhere in your deck" includes "generally somewhere in the middle", and doesn't have to be an exact number of cards from the top that you decide on.
If what you're asking is, can you choose to not know where exactly you're putting the card, then yes.

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2016, 07:24:45 am »

Does this also imply that when I'm counting my draw pile, I have to tell everyone hwo many cards are in it?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 07:29:54 am by Watno »

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2016, 07:45:59 am »
+1

I'm just disappointed the card wasn't named "Secret Tunnel"
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2016, 07:00:30 pm »
+2

I'm just disappointed the card wasn't named "Secret Tunnel"
Great, now every time I play with it I'm going to sing the song.

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2016, 08:12:33 am »

Does this also imply that when I'm counting my draw pile, I have to tell everyone hwo many cards are in it?

Anything on this?

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2016, 09:38:13 am »

Anything on this?

Unofficial obviously: I would just tell them whatever you learn about it at the time of Secret Passage. Like if you put it six cards from the top say "I'm putting it six cards from the top". If you put it on the bottom without counting just say that. If you count your whole deck then decide, say "my deck is 17 cards and I am putting it such that four cards are below the inserted card".

Or just answer questions if people ask them and not really announce anything.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2016, 05:48:26 pm »
+8

Anything on this?
It's hard to take the question seriously. Mostly I just think, why play with people who want to make the game suck.

Is it for a tournament? Ask whoever's running it. Are you running one? You're in luck, you get to make all kinds of decisions.

For casual games, try to have fun. Try not to think that the other players owe you tiny strategic advantages. If they blow it on something and haven't looked at any new cards, let them take it back. And so on.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 21 queries.