Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Lurker  (Read 11925 times)

Jacob marley

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jacob Marley
  • Respect: +139
    • View Profile
Re: Lurker
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2017, 07:06:10 pm »

What has not been mentioned yet is end-game pile control  Lurkers can drain a pile when you want to trigger a 3 pile but lack the coins or buys to empty it in the buy phase.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2017, 07:12:10 pm »

What has not been mentioned yet is end-game pile control  Lurkers can drain a pile when you want to trigger a 3 pile but lack the coins or buys to empty it in the buy phase.

It can help empty out the Scout pile without contaminating your deck
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2017, 11:25:59 pm »
+2

If only they exsited in the same universe

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5459
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2017, 01:24:44 am »
+2

If only they exsited in the same universe

Donald had probably avoided making Lurker previously because the interaction with Scout was too OP.
Well you *do* need a signature...

assemble_me

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: assemble me
  • Dominion stream/yt junkie
  • Respect: +807
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2017, 10:35:45 am »

I'm glad it only works with Action cards, otherwise it would combo with Rebuild :|
Join the f.ds Dominion league | My Twitch channel

... and none of his posts shall remain unedited

MatthewCA

• Thief
  • Respect: +86
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2017, 12:21:46 pm »

I feel like the addition of lurker adds another sub-theme to intrigue, self synergy. Minion, nobles, and now lurker work best when you have several copies, and or throne room/kings court.

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2017, 03:01:09 pm »
+4

Lurker has a fun interaction with Castles, since Small Castle and Opulent Castle are both Action-Victory cards.  You can play and trash your Small Castle to gain another Castle and then regain it with Lurker--just don't leave it in the trash too long or your opponent might nab it with their own Lurker! 

Opulent Castle can also be trashed and gained with Lurker, which is helpful for getting it for the first time, and in rare cases can also make it a nice reusable target for TfB cards (TfB in general tends to make Lurker much stronger).  For example, in a recent game, trashing Opulent Castle with Apprentice became my main source of draw (+7 cards!), and then I'd just make sure to pick it back up with Lurker to use again next turn. 

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2017, 03:28:10 pm »

What other ways are there to get cards without gaining them?
Summoning Island?

EDIT: nevermind, just read the first word on Summon

biomathics

• Herbalist
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2017, 03:52:57 pm »

My experience with this is that it's very risky and probably not a good opening plan. Your opponent can also open Lurker and steal the Possession you put in the trash. If your lurkers don't cooperate and collide, you can end up with effectively dead hands.

Of course, once you have a deck that is drawing well, playing two Lurkers in a turn makes for a nice strategy.

Agreed, it is not a good opening plan for some cards (Scrying Pool being the main exception, providing non-terminal draw + loving actions + attacking opponent, I still think that is a rush), but depending on the actions and if my opponent opened first indicating a different strategy (or Potion indicating they wanted Alchemy cards themselves), I might still have my first buy be Lurker to see if they use their second turn to get one also.  Definitely a card that benefits the second player in terms of being able to see strategy and respond.  If there are only one or two Alchemy cards on the board, I might open Lurker over Potion as first player though, for its greater flexibility, not committing to the strategy and getting to see how my opponent responded--Kingdom dependent of course.

Lurker has a fun interaction with Castles, since Small Castle and Opulent Castle are both Action-Victory cards.  You can play and trash your Small Castle to gain another Castle and then regain it with Lurker--just don't leave it in the trash too long or your opponent might nab it with their own Lurker! 

Opulent Castle can also be trashed and gained with Lurker, which is helpful for getting it for the first time, and in rare cases can also make it a nice reusable target for TfB cards (TfB in general tends to make Lurker much stronger).  For example, in a recent game, trashing Opulent Castle with Apprentice became my main source of draw (+7 cards!), and then I'd just make sure to pick it back up with Lurker to use again next turn. 

That is...pretty cool actually.  Just need Apprentice to draw one Lurker to keep the Castle away from anyone else too.  And now I want to get enough Lurkers + Small Castle + draw to nab the last 2 Castles in one turn without having to buy them.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 03:54:49 pm by biomathics »
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 21 queries.