Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Lurker  (Read 11922 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Lurker
« on: September 29, 2016, 03:47:21 pm »
+7

I want to talk about Lurker, because it seems awesome.

In a Solitaire game, Lurker sounds like it becomes ridiculously strong. Like, there's not very many Kingdoms where I wouldn't open double-Lurker.

So in a 2 player game, it becomes a weird thing where if you open one, your opponent almost has to also open one. But you almost never want to be the first person to play it, so what do you do if you draw it before your opponent? You can trash a Ruins with it, that sounds like fun.

So as long as your opponent has a Lurker remaining in his shuffle, it sounds like the right play is to treat it as a Treasure Map; never play one unless you have 2. I'm assuming of course a situation where there's not currently an action card in the trash.

And hey, what do you do when you draw King's Court + Lurker? Of course you pretty much always play it, because worst-case you're just breaking even. Unless you think your opponent also has a King's Court + Lurker.

So anyway, I'm guessing that Lurker looks a lot stronger than it is, simply because it's its own "bane". But the fact that you have to buy one if your opponent does means that it is strong in that way at least.

Or, am I wrong about everything, and a simple journey-token version where you gain an action every-other-play isn't as strong as it sounds? Of course I'm assuming the presence of good action cards also. Especially with things like King's Court, Goons, and Grand Market. But even for good s, it still sounds great.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 03:48:29 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
Re: Lurker
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 04:13:40 am »
+7

Just trash Fortresses from the supply, gaining them to your hand. :)

I think you can compare it to Rogue. It's a bit of a gamble, but it can certainly pay off.
It can be good in games where cards already get trashed anyway, such as Knights, Swindler, Graverobber and other TfBs.

Meaning you won't use Lurker for the trashing but rather the gaining. If you can gain anything you didn't have to trash, it's pretty strong.

It's funny when Rats is in the kingdom as this makes it essentially a cantrip until 20 Rats are in the trash. So you can just wait until something good hits the trash and keep trashing Rats otherwise.

I like the card a lot for its unique design.

You don't necessarily have to wait for something to hit the trash, you can do a bit of deck tracking and cycling to make it work.
If you have Lurker in hand with an empty deck and your opponent has a full deck and has just played his, you can risk it that you can play it twice.
Cartographer/Lurker seems like a decent opening maybe?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 04:19:47 am by Davio »

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 05:56:59 am »

Trashing Squire is also interesting. The presence of Squire on the board means that, as long as there are still Squires left, Lurker becomes a nonterminal gainer of any Attack, including stuff like Familiar and Goons (but thankfully excluding Possession).

There's also +3 Cards if you trash a Cultist, making it easier to buy more Cultists and possibly denying some to your opponent.
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 08:15:06 am »

Lurker is definitely really strong and a tricky card to work with.

The particular synergy I like with it are with Knights / Warrior, where you can scoop up actions from the trash. And unlike Rogue this isn't a compulsory thing! It's exciting stuff.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 08:22:51 am »

I think Lurker/Knights will make for awful games. The nice thing about Knights is they can trash each other and the other two DA trash-gaining cards, so eventually they'll just be gone and you can play the rest of your game. I once had a 40 turn game with knights and rogue that made me late for class. With Lurker, those games could go on forever, with no player able to build past the Knights. Otherwise it seems like a cool card.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2016, 09:02:16 am »
+1

There's also +3 Cards if you trash a Cultist, making it easier to buy more Cultists and possibly denying some to your opponent.

(It wouldn't deny Cultists to your opponent; they can just pull them out of the trash with their own Lurker)

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2016, 09:52:43 am »
+1

(It wouldn't deny Cultists to your opponent; they can just pull them out of the trash with their own Lurker)

Oh yeah. Oops. So much for that idea.

I guess you can just pick them up yourself instead.

JThorne

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +604
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2016, 10:14:40 am »
+1

King's Court + Lurker seems easy: Trash something you want, take it, then trash something that's not all that great, or a terminal that your opponent already has and really doesn't want another copy of (something Messenger frequently does.)

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2016, 10:18:11 am »
+2

Can you choose to gain something if there's nothing in the trash, gaining nothing?
I think so, Torturer also allows this.

So with KC, you can just trash-gain-nothing.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2016, 10:47:55 am »
+3

Man I didn't even think of the Dark Ages when-trash cards. So if Cultist is in the Supply, Lurker is +3 Cards, +1 Action, for !! For the first 10 times it gets played anyway.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2016, 10:52:54 am »

Man I didn't even think of the Dark Ages when-trash cards. So if Cultist is in the Supply, Lurker is +3 Cards, +1 Action, for !! For the first 10 times it gets played anyway.

The Wiki thought of it~!

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1606
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2016, 10:53:23 am »
+3

Lurker can be used to deplete the top half of a split pile so you can get to the cards underneath.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2016, 06:36:03 pm »

I wonder how good Feodum Lurker would be

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2016, 06:39:06 pm »
+4

Sounds really bad, Lurker can't trash Feodums.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2016, 06:40:19 pm »
+1

Sounds really bad, Lurker can't trash Feodums.

Oh yah. Duh

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1606
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2016, 11:34:39 pm »
+1

Lurker+Catacombs is basically an Ironworks that gives +Action every time.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 11:40:15 pm by singletee »

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2016, 11:59:40 pm »

It is even better than that. You can also gain catacombs if you want too.

aku_chi

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: aku chi
  • Respect: +1435
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2016, 10:15:15 am »
+1

It is even better than that. You can also gain catacombs if you want too.
Yep.  Lurker + Catacombs should be great with any village costing $4 or less.

Lurker with...
Cultist - activated Menagerie
Fortress - non-terminal gain Fortress to hand!
Squire - non-terminal attack gainer
Catacombs - non-terminal Workshop
Hunting Grounds - non-terminal Duchy (or triple Estate) gainer
Sir Vander - non-terminal Gold gainer
Rats- cantrip (situationally useful)

Am I missing anything?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 10:17:46 am by aku_chi »

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2016, 11:03:37 am »
+5

Interestingly, Fortresses obtained with Lurker don't count for Watchtower, Trader, Smugglers and Treasure Hunter, because you never gained them.

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2016, 11:48:02 am »
+1

Interestingly, Fortresses obtained with Lurker don't count for Watchtower, Trader, Smugglers and Treasure Hunter, because you never gained them.

That's cool and weird. What other ways are there to get cards without gaining them? The only ones I can think of are Masquerade and exchanging Travellers.

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2016, 12:10:31 pm »
+5

That's cool and weird. What other ways are there to get cards without gaining them? The only ones I can think of are Masquerade and exchanging Travellers.
Starting with them?

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2016, 12:59:54 pm »
+2

Technically the card set aside by Inheritance belongs to you. I mean it never gets into your deck but it counts towards the value of your Gardens and so on.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2016, 07:26:47 pm »

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13116.0

Indeed, Lurker/Fortress is a new addition to the list!

biomathics

• Herbalist
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2017, 06:31:54 pm »

I felt the need to resurrect this old thread because it is lacking a combination I found important: Alchemy cards.

The ability to gain Possession, for example, without doing anything other than opening Lurker-Lurker, is a game-changer; you can possess your opponent on turn 5!  No potion necessary (for anything other than Philosopher's stone and Vineyard), not much lost and so much gained.  Given that cards with a potion cost are made to be so good that a potion buy (that does nothing else for you) might actually be worth it even if only 2-3 are on the board, being able to get those cards without that otherwise worthless treasure is pretty awesome.  (For Alchemist you may want a potion to topdeck them, but really they are gained just as easily as Labs, so you lose nothing in comparison by not having that extra ability.  Also, you do not have to curse your luck when you draw 3P aiming for Golem while there are nice 5's you could have bought if you had gone silver instead.)

Side note on a power combo: Lurker+Scrying Pool.  Open double Lurker, then trash/gain SPs while buying more Lurkers each turn.  Your SPs draw your Lurkers to gain more SPs (and avoid tripping on that extra potion card), and you quickly draw your deck while winning both piles unless your opponent is mirroring.  You should by then have 4-6 Lurkers to gain 2-3 action cards each turn that can usually be drawn and played the same turn you buy them, which can easily lead to a three-pile ending in your favour.  I would love to see this simulated, not sure how to get the log from my last game with it.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2017, 06:39:13 pm »

I felt the need to resurrect this old thread because it is lacking a combination I found important: Alchemy cards.

The ability to gain Possession, for example, without doing anything other than opening Lurker-Lurker, is a game-changer; you can possess your opponent on turn 5!  No potion necessary (for anything other than Philosopher's stone and Vineyard), not much lost and so much gained.  Given that cards with a potion cost are made to be so good that a potion buy (that does nothing else for you) might actually be worth it even if only 2-3 are on the board, being able to get those cards without that otherwise worthless treasure is pretty awesome.  (For Alchemist you may want a potion to topdeck them, but really they are gained just as easily as Labs, so you lose nothing in comparison by not having that extra ability.  Also, you do not have to curse your luck when you draw 3P aiming for Golem while there are nice 5's you could have bought if you had gone silver instead.)

Side note on a power combo: Lurker+Scrying Pool.  Open double Lurker, then trash/gain SPs while buying more Lurkers each turn.  Your SPs draw your Lurkers to gain more SPs (and avoid tripping on that extra potion card), and you quickly draw your deck while winning both piles unless your opponent is mirroring.  You should by then have 4-6 Lurkers to gain 2-3 action cards each turn that can usually be drawn and played the same turn you buy them, which can easily lead to a three-pile ending in your favour.  I would love to see this simulated, not sure how to get the log from my last game with it.

My experience with this is that it's very risky and probably not a good opening plan. Your opponent can also open Lurker and steal the Possession you put in the trash. If your lurkers don't cooperate and collide, you can end up with effectively dead hands.

Of course, once you have a deck that is drawing well, playing two Lurkers in a turn makes for a nice strategy.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 21 queries.