Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Sauna, or Avanto?  (Read 3828 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
Sauna, or Avanto?
« on: September 27, 2016, 11:05:52 pm »

If you have both Sauna and Avanto in your hand, and you know you have at least one other copy of each in your deck, which should you play first?  Does it matter?

I don't know the answer to this, but it seems like something that can be solved with math.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
Re: Sauna, or Avanto?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 11:13:44 pm »

I don't think it matters.  It doesn't matter if you draw one with either of the cards in your hand, because you know you'll play both.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 11:27:27 pm »

If you only have 1 action (and no easy way to get more) then the answer has to be play Avanto first so that if you draw another Avanto as one of your 4 cards but no Sauna you can play it without spending an action and running out.

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1606
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 11:28:12 pm »

If you have both Sauna and Avanto in your hand, and you know you have at least one other copy of each in your deck, which should you play first?  Does it matter?

I don't know the answer to this, but it seems like something that can be solved with math.

Depends what you are trying to do. If you are just trying to maximize the chance of chaining all four cards together, then you should play Avanto first. Why? Let's assume your deck size is x >= 7.

Suppose you play Sauna, then Avanto.
The chance of finding your other Sauna is 4/x. Given you find it, the chance of having drawn the second Avanto already or of drawing it from the second Sauna is 4/(x-1). (Why? You have drawn 5 cards so far, one of which is Sauna (and thus not Avanto).) So the chance of chaining all four cards is 16/(x2-x).

Now suppose you play Avanto, then Sauna.
The chance of finding your other Avanto is 4/x. Given you find it, the chance of having drawn the second Sauna already or of drawing it from the second Avanto is 6/(x-1). (Why? You have drawn 7 cards so far, one of which is Avanto (and thus not Sauna).) So the chance of chaining all four cards is 24/(x2-x).

Hmm I just noticed you said at least one other copy. That complicates things enough that the math gets hard.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 11:38:55 pm by singletee »

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 11:42:38 pm »

Actually I think the answer's generally Avanto since it's much more advantageous to be able to play an Avanto for free than to be able to play a Sauna for free. I guess the exception for this is if you have significantly more Saunas than Avantos in your draw pile and/or you'd benefit much more from an extra action than extra draw. Still, you'll probably rue playing Sauna first if you only draw an Avanto much more than the other way around.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 02:58:31 am »

Either way you'll have an action left to play the one that pops up if you picked the wrong one to play first, so no biggie.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2016, 03:51:38 am »

Either way you'll have an action left to play the one that pops up if you picked the wrong one to play first, so no biggie.

But if it's an Avanto it could be a biggie since it's terminal draw.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2016, 08:18:27 am »
+1

This is entirely a function of which of the two you are more likely to draw. Are you more likely to get your next Avanto in the next four cards, or your next Sauna? So it depends on the number of cards in your deck, your shuffle tracking, etc.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2016, 08:27:01 am »
+4

guys cmon

Of course you go to sauna first! jeez

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2016, 09:30:42 am »

Related question: how mad will you be if you grab all the Saunas, but your opponent snags all the Avantos?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2016, 09:42:34 am »
+1

He has a $5 smithy and I have a bunch of trashers?

It'll be frustrating, but not unbeatable.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 20 queries.