Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: New first game engine?  (Read 4657 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
New first game engine?
« on: September 27, 2016, 03:39:16 pm »

So the "first game" setup has changed; it has Merchant instead of Woodcutter. The first game engine strategy ignores Woodcutter. But with Merchant available, could there be a stronger strategy?

My guess is no, because the first game engine only buys a single Silver I think. Merchant is a Peddler whenever it collides with Silver, but you'd probably have to buy more Silver than you want to make it worth it.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
Re: New first game engine?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 03:41:10 pm »

Well, by mid-game you want to start drawing your entire deck.  If you keep at least one Silver from your Mining, it might be worth it to start picking up Merchants with extra buys instead of more Markets.  They're cheaper, at any rate.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 03:47:51 pm »

The first game engine strategy is only optimized against Smithy BM though, right? Surely the mirror plays out differently.

I don't think Merchant ends up being much of a factor, but maybe Workshop can gain it at some point, if it isn't too busy gaining everything else you need.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 04:01:08 pm »

Wait, Merchants stack? So 2 Merchants + Silver = $4? I didn't know that. Suddenly Merchant looks a lot better and more worthy of a card slot.

But it's still not going to be a key card in the first game engine, I think. Just something that's worth picking up on a spare buy/gain.
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)

SettingFraming

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: breppert
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 04:04:15 pm »

Wait, Merchants stack? So 2 Merchants + Silver = $4? I didn't know that. Suddenly Merchant looks a lot better and more worthy of a card slot.

But it's still not going to be a key card in the first game engine, I think. Just something that's worth picking up on a spare buy/gain.

Merchants do not stack.

"Playing Throne Room on Merchant will give you +2 when you play your first Silver."
There are no masters, only those who have spent longer in the depths.

Orange

• 2012 WBC Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Orange
  • 2012 WBC Champion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 04:07:24 pm »

Wait, Merchants stack? So 2 Merchants + Silver = $4?

Sure, just like two Coppersmiths made each Copper worth $3.

kieranmillar

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: kieranmillar
  • Respect: +352
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 04:07:52 pm »
+3

To clear all doubt, official FAQ says:

If you play more than one Merchant, each gives you +$1 when you play that first Silver; but if you play more than one Silver, you only get the +$1 for the first Silver.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2016, 04:17:03 pm »

Merchants do not stack.

"Playing Throne Room on Merchant will give you +2 when you play your first Silver."

That makes it sound like they do stack. Playing one silver activates all instances of Merchant being played. Playing additional Silvers does nothing, but that was well understood.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2016, 04:40:42 pm »

Merchants do not stack.

Your quote contradicts your first sentence...
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2016, 04:46:49 pm »

Merchant's don't need to collide with your silver. If you are drawing a deck with one silver in it all your merchants are peddlers.

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2016, 06:03:12 pm »
+3

Wait, Merchants stack? So 2 Merchants + Silver = $4?

Sure, just like two Coppersmiths made each Copper worth $3.

Too soon. :(
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2016, 06:06:16 pm »

Merchant's don't need to collide with your silver. If you are drawing a deck with one silver in it all your merchants are peddlers.

Not sure what you mean... if you are drawing a deck with one Silver in it, then your merchants will collide with your Silver. I mean, the Silver could be drawn later, or by the Merchant itself, but they still need to collide.

NolanA

• Salvager
  • Respect: +53
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2016, 07:03:13 pm »

I ran some simulations of this case.  In my sims, Merchants did not significantly help.   Silvers were often remodeled to other cards, so Merchants could not reliably get a Silver +x$ when drawing full deck.   This led to other $3 cards generally being more useful.   If strategy is changed to always keep at least 1 Silver in the deck, then buying Merchants is much better than not buying.  However, forcing always 1 Silver to remain in deck hurts you more than the benefit of the Merchants.  There are some corner cases of hand combinations where Merchants could be useful, but they were too rare to increase the overall win rate significantly.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 08:54:24 pm by NolanA »

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2016, 12:37:17 am »

Not sure what you mean... if you are drawing a deck with one Silver in it, then your merchants will collide with your Silver. I mean, the Silver could be drawn later, or by the Merchant itself, but they still need to collide.

I feel like "collide" it's used pretty exclusively around here to refer to getting two cards in your hands at the same time. Using it for this situation with Merchant will probably cause confusion (as it appears to have here). I would just say your Merchants are worthless if you fail to find a Silver.

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2113
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2016, 01:00:48 am »

The first game engine strategy is only optimized against Smithy BM though, right? Surely the mirror plays out differently.

IIRC the bot I made (that had the highest win % in Geronimo's article) was only optimized against straight BMU.

edit: heh, apparently my memory is not very trustworthy.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 02:38:52 pm by michaeljb »
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2016, 10:09:53 am »

I feel like "collide" it's used pretty exclusively around here to refer to getting two cards in your hands at the same time. Using it for this situation with Merchant will probably cause confusion (as it appears to have here). I would just say your Merchants are worthless if you fail to find a Silver.

I dunno, I feel like if you hand is Upgrade and 4 Provinces, and you play the Upgrade, drawing a Curse, then you'd say that your Upgrade and Curse collided.

But either way, what I meant by collide was simply that you have to be able to play them both on the same turn.

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +558
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2016, 10:17:46 am »
+3

I dunno, I feel like if you hand is Upgrade and 4 Provinces, and you play the Upgrade, drawing a Curse, then you'd say that your Upgrade and Curse collided.
You'd also say: "You got some stones, buddy."
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2016, 10:37:34 am »
+1

You'd also say: "You got some stones, buddy."

Not really, my entire deck was an Upgrade, 4 Provinces, and 10 Curses.

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 21 queries.