Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: RIP Adventurer  (Read 15224 times)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12849
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: RIP Adventurer
« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2016, 01:27:34 pm »
+5

Pre-shuffling is something I do as often as possible. I do this even when my opponent might play a Witch,

So, you would shuffle your deck minus curses gained this turn before starting your next turn? I would call foul. My hope would be curses I gave you this turn get shuffled into your next turn.

The "Let's take things completely out of context" thread is over here: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=5896.0
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2016, 01:42:06 pm »
+2

Pre-shuffling is something I do as often as possible. I do this even when my opponent might play a Witch,

So, you would shuffle your deck minus curses gained this turn before starting your next turn? I would call foul. My hope would be curses I gave you this turn get shuffled into your next turn.

If you give me a Curse, it will get added into the cards I am shuffling and I will continue to shuffle them. (I mean, I think I thoroughly explained that part, but that sentence out of context certainly makes it sound like I am cheating.)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2016, 02:38:06 pm »

In no way does the new rule allow you to shuffle when it's not your turn (unless you need cards from your deck outside your turn, obviously).

Of course not. But I'm saying that I was pre-shuffling in anticipation of needing to shuffle after I played my first card of the turn; which while not allowed by the rules is a perfectly fine thing to do when the game doesn't include anything that would make it problematic  (which is why I mentioned that there were no attacks).
If you're not following the rules as written anyway, but only something functionally equivant, nothing changes with the new rules.

My point was that in the case of pre-shuffling to save time; what I naturally did/do happens to be in line with the new rule (in terms of the way I shuffled before looking at my partial draw; and in the way I put my shuffled cards under the un-drawn deck). But when not pre-shuffling, and waiting until I actually play the draw card; I would have always followed the old instructions, not the new.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 10, 2016, 02:59:48 pm »
+3

Pre-shuffling is something I do as often as possible. I do this even when my opponent might play a Witch, or Militia, or any of the other possible situations. It is always worth saving some if possible. No one wants to sit and watch people shuffle all night... we want to play Dominion.

Worst case scenario, something happens that changes your discard, and... Oh No!... you have to shuffle some more. The only thing you lost was some time when you could have been sitting there watching your opponents turn while not shuffling.

Sure, you need to be careful with inexperienced players, and make sure they know what the proper timing of shuffles are so they don't inadvertently break the rules, but when everyone knows what they are doing, you might as well speed things along.

There is an argument in here somewhere that your opponent should have vision of the top card of your discard or something, but I am willing to sacrifice that piece of information to speed things along a bit.

Yes, this is how I've always been playing Dominion. I'll pre-shuffle when I know that cards will need to be drawn.

Simplest scenario: I conclude my turn and draw five cards. There is one card left in the deck. I have a Smithy in hand. I will immediately shuffle my discard pile and keep on shuffling until it's my turn. If someone plays Militia or Witch along the way, then I add those cards to my discard and keep on shuffling. On my turn, I put that under my one card and resume my play.

I don't see why that would be a big deal, and it benefits my score not at all, so calling it cheating is really strange.

The only issue with that scenario is that it telegraphs to the rest of the group that I have a Smithy in my hand. Unless I'm trying to be sneaky, I don't mind that one bit.
A man has no signature

JThorne

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +604
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 10, 2016, 04:53:56 pm »

If someone plays Militia or Witch along the way, then I add those cards to my discard and keep on shuffling. On my turn, I put that under my one card and resume my play.

That's perfectly fine; no harm, no foul. The sticky wicket is the players who pre-shuffle, then immediately put the pre-shuffled cards under the one remaining deck card while it's still other players' turns. That's where you have to draw the line.

I guess that for IRL play, shuffling the discard at any time could be allowed, but putting those shuffled cards under the small number of cards left in your deck would have to wait until it was your turn and were needed for drawing/revealing.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 10, 2016, 08:20:25 pm »

If someone plays Militia or Witch along the way, then I add those cards to my discard and keep on shuffling. On my turn, I put that under my one card and resume my play.

That's perfectly fine; no harm, no foul. The sticky wicket is the players who pre-shuffle, then immediately put the pre-shuffled cards under the one remaining deck card while it's still other players' turns. That's where you have to draw the line.

I guess that for IRL play, shuffling the discard at any time could be allowed, but putting those shuffled cards under the small number of cards left in your deck would have to wait until it was your turn and were needed for drawing/revealing.

Well in my situation, there was no chance of anything happening to my discard pile before my turn, (and no chance that an action taken by an opponent would change my mind about my first action), so putting it under the draw pile made sense.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2016, 10:14:39 am »

Ah, I wasn't aware that people other than newbies did this. Perhaps I should be more watchful with unfamiliar players to make sure that update the preshuffle if funny things happen.

I have seen some newer players who preshuffle because they're used to that in other card games. I explain the technicality of the shuffle so they understand it. If they feel comfortable enough with the game, then they will know when a pre-shuffle works out (and to not accept it as set in stone if there are some heavy interaction cards in play).
A man has no signature
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 20 queries.