Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Standalone  (Read 2424 times)

love

• Baron
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
Standalone
« on: September 25, 2016, 01:44:03 am »

Are standalone dominion sets (Base, Intrigue) sold more often than expansions?
Why are there not more Expansions shipped with the base material (Copper,..., Gold, Estates, ..., Provinces)?

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
Re: Standalone
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 01:47:28 am »
+1

Why are there not more Expansions shipped with the base material (Copper,..., Gold, Estates, ..., Provinces)?

According to Amazon, Base sells the best and Intrigue second best. Intrigue will no longer have the base cards, but regular Dominion will. 2nd Editions are coming out soon.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 02:36:56 am »
+3

The initial plan - of RGG's - was to have all expansions standalone, every set coming with base cards (there were no small expansions).

But when Intrigue (way back when) was announced as coming with base cards, a lot of people on BGG complained. Well Intrigue having base cards lets you go up to 6 players, so there was that to defend it. But RGG announced, okay, the other expansions will not come with base cards. And they haven't.

There's no good way to evaluate impact on sales; we would need a set in the middle there that was a standalone, and don't have one. Mostly the earlier sets sell better than later ones, and large sets sell better than small ones. I could speculate as to why but so could anyone.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 08:41:03 am »
+1

Doing that would really upset a lot of people who don't want to pay 11 separate times for the same set of base cards when they only need 1 set.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2016, 08:51:08 am »

Doing that would really upset a lot of people who don't want to pay 11 separate times for the same set of base cards when they only need 1 set.

Lol yeah there was that one guy that was hilarious
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2016, 10:09:17 am »

?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2016, 10:28:50 am »

?

It was probably on reddit.  Some guy got a copy of the Base Cards for each of his expansions.  He didn't seem to realize what a waste of money that was.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2016, 01:22:16 pm »

?

It was probably on reddit.  Some guy got a copy of the Base Cards for each of his expansions.  He didn't seem to realize what a waste of money that was.
Oh, it has its uses. You can run tournaments if you do that.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 20 queries.