Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: What the world needs is another Dominion randomizer!!  (Read 4614 times)

Borsukrates

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
What the world needs is another Dominion randomizer!!
« on: September 23, 2016, 11:24:06 am »
+7

Dominion.html (beta / 0.9)
Highlights:
+ doesn't require a server to run on.
+ comes in a single file (for ease of use) and multi file (for ease of development) versions
+ no card images, I wanted to see how far I can push HTML, CSS and Javascript.
+ built with different displays in mind (responsive design)
+ compact interface, tries to strike balance between power and screen space. I know an otherwise very good randomizer which looks like Minesweeper with all those checkboxes and drop-downs!
+ currently includes all expansions up to and including Empires, plus 7 promos.
+ innovative option for countered attacks. I thought pairing every attack with Moat/Lighthouse was a lazy way out, so instead it pairs attacks with card which can - at least nominally - counter it. For example Witch gets paired with trashers and Ambassador, handsize attacks get countered by Library and other draw_to_x cards. It's based on a system of tags.
+ ALL cards, events etc have full tooltip text.

- no card images (by design)
- needs a few days of polish work before I feel confident enough to provide a github link. Will post before Monday. In these days, I will make: tools for making card tagging easier, documentation, optimization of the 2nd and 3rd text input, fix a few minor bugs, tweak the interface a little, clean up the code...
- I know it scales very well with window size, but in current version it might not work in browsers like Dolphin (I know Konqueror can't take it).

https://www.sendspace.com/file/gj71ek
Click on the blue DOWNLOAD button, save and/or open in a browser. Tested in Firefox and Chromium (Chrome). More browsers will come, especially Dolphin.
You can press the "randomize" button as soon as it loads, then play around with it.

Feedback appreciated!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 11:27:40 am by Borsukrates »

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
Re: What the world needs is another Dominion randomizer!!
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2016, 12:09:41 pm »
+7

[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2016, 12:36:17 pm »

Can't someone finally make an iOS randomizer that doesn't suck? Randominion was 90% of the way there but then it didn't update for Empires.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1492
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2016, 12:38:34 pm »
+5

Can't someone finally make an iOS randomizer that doesn't suck? Randominion was 90% of the way there but then it didn't update for Empires.

Actually I know a really good way to get a good randomizer if you have an iPhone. First you have to go to the apple store and give them your phone. Then you go to another phone store and get an Android phone and download jack of all dominion.

SirClemens

• Navigator
  • A very creative personal text
  • Respect: +484
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2016, 12:45:26 pm »

I use Dominion DB from Obsidian Arts. It does have ads, but only if you are connected to the internet.
Too bad Dominion doesn't have Gunpowder.

Borsukrates

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2016, 12:50:54 pm »

It's hard to make an iOS randomizer that doesn't suck when its users can't communicate. What parts of my randomizer you don't like ? If you tell me, I can improve it. Otherwise I won't. This randomizer is technically a (local) website so it's device-agnostic. I suppose most iOS devices let you copy a .html file to the device and open it in a browser.

SirClemens

• Navigator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2016, 12:53:35 pm »

It's hard to make an iOS randomizer that doesn't suck when its users can't communicate. What parts of my randomizer you don't like ? If you tell me, I can improve it. Otherwise I won't. This randomizer is technically a (local) website so it's device-agnostic. I suppose most iOS devices let you copy a .html file to the device and open it in a browser.

The problem is that it is not that simple to copy a .html file to an iOS Device.

Borsukrates

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2016, 01:00:20 pm »

I see. For me it's another kind of chastity belt.

One of reasons I made this, is I own two Samsung Galaxy SII phones. It's pretty much impossible to install any app on them (I wanted to try Hoplite). BUT one of them can open local .html files! So I wrote a tiny "website app" which lets you play Codenames with Dixit cards.

BTW HOMM2 is better than HOMM3.

Chris is me

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2016, 01:28:13 pm »

I use Dominion DB from Obsidian Arts. It does have ads, but only if you are connected to the internet.

It's functional, but the events and landmarks randomizer is busted (can't do both at once or at the same time as a kingdom) and I'm not sure you can swipe out cards.

bug me on discord

they/them

SirClemens

• Navigator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2016, 01:36:49 pm »

It's functional, but the events and landmarks randomizer is busted (can't do both at once or at the same time as a kingdom) and I'm not sure you can swipe out cards.

I just tested it with Landmarks and Events turned to "Random" and got a kingdom with one landmark and two events. You can exclude specific cards if that is what you mean by swipe out.

Chris is me

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2016, 01:45:52 pm »

I just tested it with Landmarks and Events turned to "Random" and got a kingdom with one landmark and two events. You can exclude specific cards if that is what you mean by swipe out.

I was mixing up Dominion DB and Dominion CR, whoops.

By swipe out I mean, you generate a kingdom, it looks great but you see one card you normally like but ruins the kingdom, you swipe to replace it with another.

bug me on discord

they/them

Destry

• Navigator
  • Respect: +75
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2016, 12:37:28 am »

Minor point - When you have Young Witch, the Bane card is not explicitly marked (I assume it's the extra card under the top two rows.

Also would be nice to specify which expansion each card is from for those who store their cards by expansion.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 12:38:32 am by Destry »

Destry

• Navigator
  • Respect: +75
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2016, 12:41:19 am »

Nice bare bones generator. Keep up the good work.

Borsukrates

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2016, 02:03:01 pm »
+1

What the Dominion randomizer needs is an update!

Dominion.html v0.95
Changes:
+ new layout, meant to fit on a single screen of desktop computers, and adapt to smaller screens as well
+ card expansion is now marked by an outline
+ you can no longer mistake bane for another card
+ for extreme completionists, promos are now treated like a separate expansion. You can request a set with exactly 2 promos, etc. In addition to the old way.
+ events, landmarks now look much more like their paper versions.
+ the development version comes with dynamically generated tag and counter documentation. Tagging cards is more convenient now.
+ you can click on a card you don't like to replace it - a.k.a. "swipe" . It won't show up again until the next click on "Randomize". (Current limitations: you can't replace bane, events or landmarks; doesn't respect requested cost/set counts but DOES keep attacks countered).
+ much optimized card selection involving specific number of sets/costs. Last version would often fail to produce a set in 1000 runs if you had several expansions.
+ in the "per cost" input, you can also type "p" or "DD" to request potion(s) or debts.
+ a bunch of bugfixes. Should be bug-free this time.

DOWNLOAD
https://www.sendspace.com/file/tdi7ke <--- The single file version. Tested in Firefox 38.8.0 (Iceweasel) and Chrome 53.0.2785.143 (Chromium).
https://github.com/monuszko/dominion-html/tree/chosen <--- This is for developers willing to poke around. Written in ES2015 (Javascript), HTML, CSS, no external libraries. Build script in Python.

So... What do you think ?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 02:13:58 pm by Borsukrates »

Borsukrates

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2016, 01:12:38 pm »

New version, let's call it v0.99

Highlights:
+ Uses modern Javascript - ES2015. WILL NOT WORK IN OLDER BROWSERS. Use Firefox, Chrome, Edge (not tested, but it's standards friendly), Opera (not tested)... Safari will probably get there eventually.
+ You can now swipe cards from keyboard, too. Swipe respects requirements like card costs, sets. For example if you wanted exactly 3 Hinterlands cards, and try to replace one of them, it will roll you another Hinterlands card to make sure the set is still valid. If you swipe a bane, another bane shows up. Swipe an event - an event or landmark takes its place. To swipe cards past 10, enter a, b... (hexadecimal)
+Tweaked focus and keyboard controls to make the app convenient. Everything should work as you would expect. If you press Enter, it will give you another card set (unless focus was in the "to swipe" field, then it swipes). If you click on a card to swipe it, focus will be restored to the last focused input. Pasting text works as it should.
+ Black market support. Hover mouse on Black Market to see the Black Market deck. You can specify how many cards you want in the deck.
  + If Young Witch is in the Black Market deck, Bane pile is added
+ Better Bane selection algorithm - respects more conditions
+ Lots and lots of internal changes, cleanups, refactoring. There's still work to do.
+ A README file worth your time.

(Single file version)
https://www.sendspace.com/file/5782xm

(Multi file for development, scroll down for README)
https://github.com/monuszko/dominion-html

By the way the reason is I abandoned old browsers and Internet Explorer is because it's my hobby project, done in free time. Modern Javascript features make programming in it a lot more convenient. No more clunky code. Clean, pleasant code makes it easier to fix bugs and add features. And in any case even the last version used enough new features to make Konqueror, Internet Explorer etc choke, so it's just me being honest with myself.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2016, 02:44:28 pm »

BTW HOMM2 is better than HOMM3.

Sorry for jacking the thread. But no. Just no.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 21 queries.