Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Fun Recipes  (Read 9437 times)

gkrieg13

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
  • Respect: +463
    • View Profile
Fun Recipes
« on: September 21, 2016, 09:49:09 pm »
+2

So my wife and I are looking for some good new recipes to add to our collection. We're pretty open to any kind of food. We like Indian food and also have cooked some Thai food and some Chinese food. We also like Italian food and most American food.

The only catch is the recipes have to only have ingredients that we can buy at most grocery stores (so no crazy ingredients) and they have to not be too expensive (no expensive cuts of meat), relatively easy and quick to make and not involve alcohol.

Any suggestions?

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
Re: Fun Recipes
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 10:24:16 pm »

Pasta with mushroom-cream sauce is my favorite dish.

I make it by taking normal mushrooms and frying them, adding thyme and pepper. After that, you make 1 cup of broth using stock, and slowly add either cream or sour cream to it. Make sure to mix them in small quantities to prevent curdling. After that, add the cream broth to the mushrooms and cook them for a while, adding flour if you want to thicken the sauce. Then put it over your favorite pasta with parmesan.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 10:27:44 pm by McGarnacle »
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

gkrieg13

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 11:05:04 pm »

Pasta with mushroom-cream sauce is my favorite dish.

I make it by taking normal mushrooms and frying them, adding thyme and pepper. After that, you make 1 cup of broth using stock, and slowly add either cream or sour cream to it. Make sure to mix them in small quantities to prevent curdling. After that, add the cream broth to the mushrooms and cook them for a while, adding flour if you want to thicken the sauce. Then put it over your favorite pasta with parmesan.

Thanks!  My wife is pretty much obsessed with mushrooms so I'm sure she would love that

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 12:05:26 am »
+2

Sometimes it's hard for me to remember this is a forum for a card game.

All I know how to make is toast, but I make some damn good toast
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 12:44:32 am »

One of my favorites is tuna fish casserole.  Just a packet of tuna, a can of cream of mushroom soup (there's your mushrooms), and a bag of egg noodles and you're good to go.  I know some families make this all the time and some think it's weird, so I don't know which boat you're in.  You can add Swiss cheese if you want, but I personally don't like it.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2016, 01:06:26 am »
+1

All I know how to make is toast frozen pizza, but I make some dang good toast frozen pizza
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

ignorentmen

• Bishop
  • Respect: +51
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2016, 01:08:23 pm »

Going into my bookmarks for these:

Risotto of any kind is going to be good - it does involve cooking wine, but all the alcohol cooks out: http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1013639-fresh-fava-bean-and-shrimp-risotto

Risotto can be bought at any store, it will be with the rice. It is a little bit extra, but not that much more expensive. Fava beans can be hard to come by, but you can sub in any green veggie like asparagus, just probably cook for a little bit longer.

Lamb is my favorite meat. We don't eat it a lot as we don't eat a lot of meat, but when we do, this is the recipe. It is amazing: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/irish-lamb-stew/?scale=6&ismetric=0

You can generally get a good cut of lamb from a neighborhood butcher for pretty cheap. I like this receipe because it uses the meat sparingly.

Find a good gumbo or jambalaya recipe and you will be happy. Some of the spices might be hard to find for some recipes, but I think any major grocery store will have most of them.

and some good side veggie dishes:
http://www.stltoday.com/lifestyles/food-and-cooking/recipes/peanut-garlic-green-beans/article_30c2c41e-6f99-581d-93a0-866d0f34f207.html

Easy side recipe.

The only way I eat Brussel Sprouts, from the famous Copper Onion restraunt in SLC: https://www.yelp.com/menu/the-copper-onion-salt-lake-city/item/brussels-sprouts

Really easy and really good side. We make it every year for thanksgiving.

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 12:23:24 pm »
+2

My wife and I are hard-core foodies so this thread is right up my alley.  My first suggestion is Mac & Cheese. You will never want to buy the box again.

1.)  Get water boiling for your noodles.  Shells, macaroni, penne, whatever floats your boat.

2.)  Dice 1 Medium onion and saute with 3 tablespoons in a large cast iron (preferable) or dutch oven over medium/high heat until fully translucent. 
      (a)  <OPTIONAL>  When onions are cooked and starting to get translucent add 2-3 hot chili peppers (diced).  Cook for another couple of minutes.

3.)  Add another 3 tablespoons of butter to the pan and melt.  Then add roughly 1/4 cup all purpose flour and stir in until smooth.  Add 1 1/2 cup heavy cream or whole milk depending on how sinful you desire your final product to be.  I prefer the heavy cream.  Stir in heavy cream and cook until you get a slight simmer (should be just about a minute).  At this point add in salt and pepper to taste (about a teaspoon each).  I also like to add about a teaspoon or two of ground mustard.

4.)  Add 1-2 cups of grated cheese.  Your cheese matters.  Yes you could used pre-grated Kraft or Sargentos but it won't be as good.  This past week my wife and I used a combination of smoked Gouda and goat cheese.  As a ROT, your mac and cheese will only ever be as good as the cheese you put in it.  Spend the couple of extra dollars here.  Even with a nicer cheese this recipe will not break the bank.  A good cheddar would also be a great choice.  Stir in you cheese until melted.

5.)  Drain your cooked pasta and add to your cheesy sauce.  You can mix everything together in your cast iron skillet or dutch oven.

6.)  Top with bread crumbs or crushed cracker.

7.)  Put in oven for 10 minutes in order to slightly brown.

This whole process from start to finish should take 30-45 minutes.  You can do all sorts of great things to modify this and create different flavor profiles depending on what add ins and cheese types you use.  My suggestion if you are voracious bacon lovers, then cube some bacon and start by first cooking it in your skillet before the other steps.  Seriously some good eats right there.  All of the juicy bacon fat mixed in with butter and cheese is a delicacy for the angels.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2016, 02:03:54 pm »

/tag
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2016, 02:57:39 pm »
+1

You will never want to buy the box again.

...pretty sure people from anywhere else than North America won't ever want to buy a box of huh that, period. The only thing Mac&cheese has in common with actual food is the name.

I've added baked eggplant to my diet lately. It's better than I remembered it.

Quinoa is an easy way to get your nutrients in, especially fiber.

Liver seems to be a lot cheaper than any other meat in North America, and it's really tasty, if you are not grossed out by it for some reason.

Squid is also good, although I have trouble finding good one.

Avocados! Getting them to be just ripe enough is tricky though.

I huh don't really cook fancy stuff lately, usually I buy the ingredients, and then decide what I want to do with them (thanks google). Mostly when I want to go a bit further, I add onions, mushrooms, and/or roasted peppers, go well with pretty much anything.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2016, 04:34:47 pm »
+2

I don't know what you normally cook, but here's some suggestions based on my cooking habits. I value food that looks and/or tastes impressive, but is actually easy to prep and cook. I also stick to cooking things close to what I already know; I go out to restaurants to be adventurous. 

Regular fare:

Crock-pot chuck roast with potatoes, carrots, onion, and celery (veggies all diced). Salt, pepper, oregano, can of diced tomatoes, half can of water. Season and brown chuck roast in the morning in a cast-iron pan; place meat on bottom of crock pot, add water; veggies on top; season veggies; diced tomatoes on top of that. Set on low all day and it's ready when you're home from work. Makes a pseudo-stew. Just don't fill the crock-pot more than 3/4 or so full. You can also do this in a Dutch oven with a more abbreviated cooking time.

Oven roasted vegetables (seasonal). Roughly chop vegetables. Salt, pepper, olive oil, dried herbs (e.g. oregano, rosemary, sage). 400 degrees on aluminum foil-lined baking sheet until done (15-40 minutes depending on produce). Favorites: Brussels sprouts, butternut squash, asparagus, a mix of carrots/parsnips/potatoes.

Pan-fried white fish (Tilapia, etc.). Oil in pan over medium heat, Old Bay seasoning on fish. When fish is done (about 4 min a side), melt a tab or two of butter in the pan and add a handful of capers (drained) for about 30 seconds. Add a splash of lemon juice. Pour sauce over fish. Or skip the sauce and serve with a side of mayo mixed with Old Bay. Great with steamed veggies or a side salad.

Special occasion:

Cast iron pan-seared scallops. Oil, salt, pepper, butter. Get them frozen at Costco or when they are on sale at your grocer. They take only 10 minutes or so to thaw. Do not crowd in pan; do not overcook! Serve with a side of quinoa and some arugula dressed with olive oil, lemon juice, and salt. Scallops are so easy to cook and so impressive. They are actually easier than most fish because of their uniform thickness, they are just too expensive for every day fare. But, they are cheap relative to comparable restaurant dishes.

Alton Brown's Pork Wellington. You can guestimate this, but I use a meat thermometer to make sure the pork's actually done. This is my favorite thing to cook to impress someone.

America's Test Kitchen Apple Pie (the cook book is worth buying). Sometimes I use store-bought dough (but not the pre-formed pie crusts with tin pans). It's almost as good, still looks homemade, and cuts the prep time down significantly.

shark_bait

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2016, 05:25:00 pm »
+1

Quote from: ignorentmen link=topic=1626
Risotto of any kind is going to be good - it does involve cooking wine, but all the alcohol cooks out: http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1013639-fresh-fava-bean-and-shrimp-risotto

Risotto can be bought at any store, it will be with the rice. It is a little bit extra, but not that much more expensive. Fava beans can be hard to come by, but you can sub in any green veggie like asparagus, just probably cook for a little bit longer.

With fall coming, my go to risotto is a Butternut Squash Risotto.

Dice onions and cook over medium heat with a few tablespoons olive oil in a large dutch oven.  Get a quart of veggie stock warming in a separate pan.  In the same pan as onions, add Arborio rice and cook until grains are starting to get translucent (just a minute or two).  Deglaze your pan with some white wine (fancy way of saying, pour some wine into the pot and stir everything off the bottom.  Cook the wine off and then start ladling your warm stock into the pot.  Ladle your stock into the pot in 1 cup increments until the rice is cooked.  General procedure is add stock, let it absorb, add more stock, etc....  Season your Risotto with some salt, pepper and sage.

As you start your Risotto rice prep, you will want to be prepping the butternut squash.  Cut in half lengthwise, scoop out seeds, turn upside down and roast in the oven at 400F until flesh and tender and easily pierced with a fork or knife.  Scoop out flesh and puree in blender or food processor with a small amount of butter, heavy cream or milk to help it mix. 

When your risotto rice is cooked, stir in your butternut squash and around a cup of Parmigiano cheese.  When serving, drizzle with a maple-balsamic glaze which is made by putting maple syrup and balsamic vinegar in a pan and heating until volume is reduced by about 1/2.  Try to make the glaze a bit early in the cooking process as the extra cooling gives it the proper viscosity.

I know this sounds like a lot, but proper multi-tasking and organization make things flow pretty seamlessly.  I
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2016, 05:26:46 pm »
+2

I like eggplant lasagne. My recipe goes like this (roughly; I don't go strictly by recipe usually).

Take 2 medium-sized eggplants, cut them into roughly 0.5cm thick slices. Mix a bit of flour with some salt and pepper. Make sure this slices are covered with this mixture from each side, then fry them.

In the meantime, prepare tomato sauce. Depending on our cooking skills, you may know what to do; nothing fancy happens here. Cut 2 onions and 2 cloves of garlic into pieces, fry them with salt and a bit of sugar. If available, add some red wine after. Then add around 600g of sieved tomatoes (no cup measurements here, sorry; it's the German way) along with basil, oregano, pepper and paprika spice. The more fresh ingredients, the better of course.

Then comes the layering. Take a casserole, start with a layer of sliced, fried eggplants, then cover with tomato sauce, then a layer of lasagne plates. Finally, cover these with sour cream/creme fraiche and start over. Make sure to end the final layer on tomato sauce, and cover the whole thing with your favorite kind of cheese. The put it all in the over at medium heat and wait until the cheese gets cross.

This should serve 4 people. Takes a while, especially the frying eggplants part, but the result is always satisfying.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

shark_bait

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2016, 09:12:33 am »
+1

(no cup measurements here, sorry; it's the German way)

The more fresh ingredients, the better of course.

If all cooking was in metric volume / mass the world would be a better place. 

Can't say enough about fresh ingredients.  My wife and I pick up most all of our produce on a biweekly basis from a local farm.  Everything is by far more flavorful and rich than anything in the supermarket.

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: SpaceAnemone
  • Correct Horse Battery Staple
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2016, 06:41:04 am »

(no cup measurements here, sorry; it's the German way)

... and yet you use the American "Eggplant" rather than our more European "Aubergine" :-P
Congratulations! Your SpaceAnemone evolved into UniverseAnemone!
Town games: M84(L), M85(W), M86(L), M87(W), M88(L), M90(L), M92(W), M94(L), M97(L), M99(W), M100(L), M104(W), M107(W), M110(L), M112(L), RMM37(L), RMM40(D), RMM41(L), RMM43(L), RMM47(W), ZM23(W).
Scum games: M89(D), M108(L), NM8(W&MVP), NM10(L)   Mod: NM9, RMM38, RMM42.   Pronouns: they/them

thespaceinvader

• Minion
  • Respect: +120
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2016, 06:49:30 am »
+2

Take equal weights of margarine, granulated sugar, eggs and self raising flour (I usually use 8oz (200g I think, ask google for unit conversions) of each and 4 large eggs, but the recipe scales linearly).

Beat the margarine and sugar together, then add the eggs and beat together, then the flour and beat together.  Also add cocoa powder at this point if you want, I usually use about 3 to 4 ounces, but I do it by eye.

Separate into two 8-inch round tins and bake for around 25 minutes at 160c until the cake springs back when you press on the top gently.

For the icing, take about 10 ounces of butter, let it soften, add about 5 ounces of icing sugar, and a dash of boiling water (about 15ml is usually enough) and cocoa powder if desired (I usually seive them in but it's by no means essential), then beat together until smooth, adding more water if you want it to be less stiff.

Put the icing between the two cakes and on top.

Cake baking is a science.  I've baked this recipe hundreds if not thousands of times, it's good and simple and easy to remember.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 06:51:03 am by thespaceinvader »

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2016, 06:58:46 am »
+2

I made a delicious dinner last night using only cheap ingredients already in my cupboards :-) Mostly I was feeling like trying to empty out some of the almost-empty jars of things I have, since I hate food waste.

Carrot and butterbean cutlets:

2 large carrots
2 medium onions
2 cans butterbeans (drained [1])
some plain/wholemeal flour
seasonings
golden breadcrumbs (the sort for coating food, rather than the sort made out of real bread).

1) Grate the carrots and onions (I used a food processor), place in a bowl. This is better if you can find onions that don't make you want to claw your eyes out.

2) Use the food processor to reduce the beans to thick coarse gloop, adding seasonings. I threw in the end of a jar of curry paste, some of the oil from a jar of sun-dried tomatoes, and a good glug of nice soy sauce. Pretty much anything goes (herbs, garlic, nuts, seeds etc would all have been good), as long as it's not too runny. Add gloop to bowl.

3) Mix the stuff with just enough flour (150g maybe?) to get it to a consistency that can be shaped into patties.

4) Shape patties, dip in bread crumbs, and bake for ~35mins in a hot oven (mine was a fan oven at 200 deg C), turning once.

I served it with heaps garlic-sauteed broccoli, and a little bit of couscous (the end of a packet!) that was cooked with bell peppers and olive brine (from yet another jar in my fridge I was trying to empty).

[1] If you reserve the liquid from cans of beans, you can use it to make things vegan meringues or mayo, which is also pretty cool.
Town games: M84(L), M85(W), M86(L), M87(W), M88(L), M90(L), M92(W), M94(L), M97(L), M99(W), M100(L), M104(W), M107(W), M110(L), M112(L), RMM37(L), RMM40(D), RMM41(L), RMM43(L), RMM47(W), ZM23(W).
Scum games: M89(D), M108(L), NM8(W&MVP), NM10(L)   Mod: NM9, RMM38, RMM42.   Pronouns: they/them

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2016, 07:07:32 am »
+1

Incidentally, I recently discovered pomegranate molasses. It's not horrible or terribly sweet like I feared it would be, and it's not got alcohol in it, so I guess it's maybe a suitable wine replacement in the recipes above, given that the original recipe remit specified no alcohol.

Of course, it might not be available in "most grocery stores", so maybe my attempt fails on that count, but it's available in the "cooks' ingredients" section of the up-market supermarket near my house :-)

shark_bait

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2016, 09:19:42 am »

Incidentally, I recently discovered pomegranate molasses. It's not horrible or terribly sweet like I feared it would be, and it's not got alcohol in it, so I guess it's maybe a suitable wine replacement in the recipes above, given that the original recipe remit specified no alcohol.

Of course, it might not be available in "most grocery stores", so maybe my attempt fails on that count, but it's available in the "cooks' ingredients" section of the up-market supermarket near my house :-)

Pomegranate molasses makes a great add in to salad dressings or in conjunction with a vinegar when sautéing fresh vegetables or greens!

My favorite chef, Yotam Ottalengi, uses this a ton in his recipes. His cookbooks are fantastic. The dishes are all Mediterranean and delicious. On paper they seem a bit complex by when you actually get cooking they are very accessible.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2016, 08:19:37 pm »

I am curious, are you avoiding alcohol for religious reasons? Because personally I hate the taste, but some of the best meals I've ever had involved cooking in it (risotto with wine and crepes with rhum)
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

gkrieg13

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2016, 08:30:10 pm »
+1

I am curious, are you avoiding alcohol for religious reasons? Because personally I hate the taste, but some of the best meals I've ever had involved cooking in it (risotto with wine and crepes with rhum)

Yes and no. I also just don't want to cook with it especially. I understand that it all cooks out if that is what you're asking

kkrieg

• Pawn
  • Shuffle iT Username: kkrieg
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2017, 09:27:43 pm »
+4

100% win rate at RLM

inquiety

• Pawn
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2017, 12:56:57 pm »
+2

I like making pancakes! They're generally pretty forgiving, and you can pretty much make them as healthy/unhealthy as you want. The secret to a fluffy pancake, I find, is separating the egg whites from the egg yolks, and beating them separately (beat the whites until they're stiff-ish, and then fold it in with the rest of the ingredients as the last step before mixing them.) A chef named Matty Matheson has a pretty great recipe (the youtube video is also fun to watch, if a bit vulgar).

Dylan32

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dylan32
  • Respect: +145
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2017, 02:30:04 pm »

All I know how to make is toast frozen pizza cheese quesadillas, but I make some dang good toast frozen pizza cheese quesadillas
Forum Mafia Record - Wins: 14 - NM9, M97, RMM41, M99, M102, M104, M119, M126, RMM56, M133, M134, RMM58, RMM59, RMM61, RMM60; Losses 15 - RMM37, M89, M94, M95, M96, M100, RMM47 M109, M110, M120, M127, M129, M131, M132, M136; MVPs: 1 - NM9

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 21 queries.