Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25  All

Author Topic: Dominion and Intrigue second editions  (Read 240889 times)

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion and Intrigue second editions
« Reply #575 on: November 06, 2016, 02:44:39 pm »

Why on earth would you get Sentry late? It's good for the same reason Junk Dealer is good, in that it trashes quickly and efficiently. You don't use JD later, and you don't use Sentry all that often later. I wonder if you get two Sentries like you often get two JDs. I'd love to test this eventually.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: November 06, 2016, 04:57:19 pm »

JD trashes one card at a time so it's not a fast trasher. It's good because you get to choose from your hand. If you're building a draw engine - often the point of trashing - JD will keep being good. Sentry will only be good for trashing early, right? The more good cards you add, the less likely you will be to hit crap.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12848
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #577 on: November 06, 2016, 05:09:04 pm »

JD is good because it gives you a coin in return for the card you lose from your hand due to the trashing. Sentry is good because it never makes you lose a card from your hand in the first place. In both cases, this means that you get to trash and you get to buy something decent on the same turn.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

aladdinstardust

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: November 06, 2016, 05:13:49 pm »

I've played a few games with Sentry, and I think the card is amazing. You definitely want it as early as possible to increase your chances of hitting the cards you want out of your deck, but he still works late by allowing you to dump green cards off the top. Twice, I even used his ability to put cards back in order to keep my engine going and still draw into payload (I switched Gold and Lab when I only had one cantrip left in hand).

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #579 on: November 06, 2016, 05:43:40 pm »
+1

Why are we calling sentry he? I mean there's even a woman on the card. Are we going to have the discussion about genders of cards again?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: November 06, 2016, 05:50:01 pm »
+4

Why are we calling sentry he?

Who's "we"?

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: November 06, 2016, 06:05:36 pm »
+3

Why are we calling sentry he? I mean there's even a woman on the card. Are we going to have the discussion about genders of cards again?
Why does this even matter.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: November 06, 2016, 06:13:00 pm »

Sentry is the first ever true cantrip trasher. While it's swingier than most, unlike every other trasher, once you have the Sentry it costs you literally nothing to trash cards. I imagine it's an elite opener and a strong turn 3-4 buy.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: November 06, 2016, 07:12:51 pm »

Everytime I've played with sentry, it's been pretty good. Even in the late game, it has its uses.

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: November 06, 2016, 07:34:47 pm »

JD is good because it gives you a coin in return for the card you lose from your hand due to the trashing. Sentry is good because it never makes you lose a card from your hand in the first place. In both cases, this means that you get to trash and you get to buy something decent on the same turn.

That's all correct (except that you might not get to trash with Sentry), but I was only talking about how efficient these cards are at trashing, as a reply to the previous post from Seprix etc.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 07:36:08 pm by Jeebus »

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #585 on: November 06, 2016, 10:17:50 pm »

Let's not continue this discussion before posts start getting removed again.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: November 06, 2016, 10:45:18 pm »
+6

Let's not continue this discussion before posts start getting removed again.

Yeah, everyone listen to Seprix, she has a really good point. Nobody say anything if anyone misgenders, just keep moving along.

Anyhow, I've been playing with Sentry kind of over and over again to get a hang of when it's Really Good and if there's anything weird about it. It's just kind of a meh trasher. Upgrade and JD are better, really, but Sentry is far better to open with. Anything to load your discard pile or deck with junk helps it though.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: November 06, 2016, 11:33:32 pm »

Anyhow, I've been playing with Sentry kind of over and over again to get a hang of when it's Really Good and if there's anything weird about it. It's just kind of a meh trasher. Upgrade and JD are better, really, but Sentry is far better to open with. Anything to load your discard pile or deck with junk helps it though.

I think what a lot of people miss is that it isn't just a trasher, it is also a mini cartographer.
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: November 07, 2016, 11:49:55 am »

I think what a lot of people miss is that it isn't just a trasher, it is also a mini cartographer.

I mean, yes. I'm not electing to skip buying it because I don't think it's good later, so I'm still using it. But, it just hasn't been good for me if I don't open with it. It trashes like maybe 3 cards.

And really the Cartographer thing barely helps - you either want the card out of your deck or you want it in your hand until the late game, and by then either you got thin enough that it doesn't matter or you draw it at the end of your line anyway. I'll keep trying it. Maybe playing 100 games with it online once the new Dominion comes out will change my mind. I really want it to be good.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

jamfamsam

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: jamfamsam
  • Respect: +1214
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: November 07, 2016, 12:29:16 pm »

Sentry is the first ever true cantrip trasher. While it's swingier than most, unlike every other trasher, once you have the Sentry it costs you literally nothing to trash cards. I imagine it's an elite opener and a strong turn 3-4 buy.

Junk Dealer?
"There is no extra charge for awesomeness..."

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: November 07, 2016, 12:30:48 pm »
+1

Junk Dealer?

Junk dealer also reduces handsize. Sentry doesn't.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12848
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #591 on: November 07, 2016, 12:55:16 pm »

That's all correct (except that you might not get to trash with Sentry), but I was only talking about how efficient these cards are at trashing, as a reply to the previous post from Seprix etc.

I wasn't particularly addressing my post at yours.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: November 07, 2016, 03:33:44 pm »

Junk Dealer?

Junk dealer also reduces handsize. Sentry doesn't.

It also has a mandatory trash, which means it can be a dead card. I would classify a "true" cantrip as a card you can always play for at least a card and an action and it never hurts to do so (barring not wanting to draw that card for whatever reason).

JThorne

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +604
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: November 07, 2016, 04:22:04 pm »

I mean, yes. I'm not electing to skip buying it because I don't think it's good later, so I'm still using it. But, it just hasn't been good for me if I don't open with it. It trashes like maybe 3 cards.

And really the Cartographer thing barely helps - you either want the card out of your deck or you want it in your hand until the late game, and by then either you got thin enough that it doesn't matter or you draw it at the end of your line anyway.

This has been my experience so far, as well.

Unless you have topdeck control, Sentry is a weak trasher. I would much rather have Lookout, which digs three cards deep looking for trash, and you can always open with it.

I only look hard at Sentry if I either have deck manipulation and can put back things to trash, or if I have some use for the Cartographer effect like Mystic/Wishing Well, etc. Otherwise, it may not be worth the $5 buys. If it's the only trasher, it may simply not be possible to get thin. At its best, it's a key piece. At its worst, it feels a little Pearl Diverish.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: November 07, 2016, 04:32:30 pm »

A lot of differentiating opinions on Sentry. I am willing to gut my initial opinions that Sentry is one of the best trashers for now because of this, but I would like to play with it some more before declaring it great or not so great.

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: November 07, 2016, 04:37:21 pm »

A lot of differentiating opinions on Sentry. I am willing to gut my initial opinions that Sentry is one of the best trashers for now because of this, but I would like to play with it some more before declaring it great or not so great.
Well, I had one game where I got sentry out of the black market deck, and that near won the game for me. Like any card, it depends on the board, obviously, but this provides a bit of a more objective view on its power in a vacuum. Granted, it will never be in a vacuum, but there you go.
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: November 07, 2016, 06:38:07 pm »

After playing some games with 2nd edition cards, the one I most underrated was Patrol.

For example, we were playing a 3-player Mountebank game without trashing, and I thought, gotta be a slog, right?  Patrol seemed like it could defend against curses, but it was also awkward that it reduced the chance that you'd have a curse in hand next turn to discard.  Anyways, one player skipped Mountebank and built a passable engine out of Patrol.  I've seen this a few times, Patrol is great for making engines resistant to junk.

I'm also impressed by Bandit.  I had never really played one of those games where Thief dominates (my group knows better than to think Thief is good), but now I've played a couple with Bandit.  After losing the Bandit war badly in 4P, I had to go for a Poor House / Royal Carriage strategy, which was hilarious but not very good.

SuperHans

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: SuperHans
  • Respect: +233
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: November 09, 2016, 03:59:55 pm »

I finally received my copy of the second editions and the new promo. Looking forward to playing with the new cards tonight. I think the most underrated aspect of the new cards, other than the improved wording for all the cards, is the improved card art for a few of the cards, such as Moat, Torturer, masquerade, and ironworks.

MatthewCA

• Thief
  • Respect: +86
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: November 19, 2016, 09:44:42 am »

Quick question. Are there any plans to update the set of base cards with the larger symbols for treasure and vp? I'd love another set of base cards with the better design like in second edition base set.

I have the second edition intrigue update pack, and I think my favorite new card is replace. Trash for benefit that is also a junker???? I thought I died and gone to dominion heaven when I saw that card. Courtier and lurker are also good. A little disappointed with the mill, but the only games I played with the mill had decent trashing or no junking attack. But it does have such a good interaction with replace. Oddly enough (and I may regret saying this) I feel like scout would make the mill way better.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: November 19, 2016, 09:48:07 am »
+1

Quick question. Are there any plans to update the set of base cards with the larger symbols for treasure and vp? I'd love another set of base cards with the better design like in second edition base set.
Yes, Base Cards will be updated, at a time based on when supplies run out and printer availability.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25  All

Page created in 1.264 seconds with 22 queries.