Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25  All

Author Topic: Dominion and Intrigue second editions  (Read 241847 times)

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +410
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion and Intrigue second editions
« Reply #550 on: October 18, 2016, 01:06:05 am »

Also, just now realizing that people have been pointing to poacher as evidence that a fixed-cost Peddler is a bit too strong for $4 but too weak for $5...I point you all to Baker as the original evidence of that.
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1493
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #551 on: October 18, 2016, 01:09:58 am »

Also, just now realizing that people have been pointing to poacher as evidence that a fixed-cost Peddler is a bit too strong for $4 but too weak for $5...I point you all to Baker as the original evidence of that.

Not treasury?

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: October 18, 2016, 01:42:47 am »
+2

That joke is simply terrifical.

Thanksal!
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
  • Respect: +972
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: October 18, 2016, 02:30:54 am »

In the game with poacher and tower, will you purchase this last one? :)
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: October 18, 2016, 02:42:43 am »

It'd be funny to play a game with poacher and City. As soon as your cities start drawing, your poachers start discarding!

I think that the cares about empty piles mechanic is very clever and worth exploring. Still not sure if it is a good fit for base though...will have to see when I (finally) get the upgrade pack friday.

Yeah, it feels like a better fit with Intrigue to me—the "has different effects depending on when it is played" behavior is reminiscent of Conspirator, Shanty Town, and Diplomat.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #555 on: October 18, 2016, 09:49:58 am »

Poacher is very good. Imagine all those times you open Oasis for cycling.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: October 18, 2016, 09:53:26 am »

Yeah, it's not like Poacher suddenly becomes a bad card with one pile gone. Maybe with 2 piles it's time to start trashing them for benefit, but with one gone it's just Oasis, a usually workable card.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: October 18, 2016, 10:07:45 am »
+5

So Oasis' position as a good opening cycler has been... poached?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: October 18, 2016, 10:08:39 am »
+1

I'm not sure what you mean here. Baker is strictly better than Peddler effect (Black Market edge case); so even if Peddler at $4 existed, it would have to cost $5.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: October 18, 2016, 10:37:06 am »

Not treasury?

Or Market?
Edit: Those only prove it's too weak for $5, by the way, which nobody argued against.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 10:38:30 am by Asper »

Chris is me

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: October 18, 2016, 11:02:48 am »

So Oasis' position as a good opening cycler has been... poached?
Shit I'd open Poacher / Oasis on many boards. Mainly boards with $5 cost trashers and strong engines without a ton of draw to spare.

bug me on discord

they/them

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: October 18, 2016, 08:19:25 pm »
+8

I actually think it's evidence that fixed-cost Peddler is totally appropriate at $4, and the Secret History suggests the same:

Quote from: Donald X.
Poacher: This is in a player interaction slot, vacated by Spy. I thought of having some vanilla bonuses with the penalty of discarding a card per empty pile. The vanilla bonuses had to be essentially fair at the price of the card, since you might never empty a pile until the game was over. So really it required a vanilla card I hadn't made yet. Well there was one of those, and it was +1 Card +1 Action +$1 for $4. So there it is. Avoiding making that card all these years finally paid off.

JThorne

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +604
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: October 19, 2016, 10:53:25 am »

We've been playing a few games with the new cards just to get used to interesting interactions. The deck manipulation stuff is just too much fun.

Bad Poacher ended up being a minor benefit: Discard junk, topdeck it with Harbinger, then play Sentry (or Lookout, which really appreciates not accidentally turning up three good cards.)

Of course, my absolute favorite: Secret Passage, puting a junk card FOURTH from the top. Secret Passage again, putting a junk card SECOND from the top. Sentry, drawing a card, then revealing the two junk cards and trashing both. That just makes me giggle like a little girl.

Also: Secret Passage, putting a VP card fourth from the top. Patrol, drawing three plus at least one VP card.

I also watched a someone win a Colony game playing something close to Secret Passage/BM with light trashing in a board with terminals and no villages. At first, it looked like he was just spinning his wheels turn after turn, but Mined up to a couple of Platina and ended up with a green-proof single-Colony engine that didn't stall once. It's that good a sifter. Definitely my favorite new card.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 10:58:25 am by JThorne »

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1471
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: October 19, 2016, 11:00:39 am »

Harbinger sentry doesn't look good or am I overlooking something?
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

JThorne

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: October 19, 2016, 05:51:59 pm »

Oh, it's not exactly good. It's just interesting. Bad Poacher/Harbinger/Sentry is probably one of the most convoluted "trash one card from your hand" plays I can think of. But it did actually happen a few times in a game with those cards and no cards that actually trash from your hand.

So far, Harbinger has been most useful in slogs, and Sentry has been most useful for filtering and topdecking (such as putting a cantrip or other action on top for Vassal, my second-favorite new card.)

(Hmm. Puzzle idea? Most convoluted "trash one card from your hand" play. No using the same action twice.)

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1609
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: October 19, 2016, 06:00:35 pm »
+1

Oh, it's not exactly good. It's just interesting. Bad Poacher/Harbinger/Sentry is probably one of the most convoluted "trash one card from your hand" plays I can think of. But it did actually happen a few times in a game with those cards and no cards that actually trash from your hand.

So far, Harbinger has been most useful in slogs, and Sentry has been most useful for filtering and topdecking (such as putting a cantrip or other action on top for Vassal, my second-favorite new card.)

(Hmm. Puzzle idea? Most convoluted "trash one card from your hand" play. No using the same action twice.)

But how does it work at all? Harbinger puts the card on your deck. Sentry then draws it.

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: October 19, 2016, 06:02:23 pm »

But how does it work at all? Harbinger puts the card on your deck. Sentry then draws it.
you have to get borrow and villa in the mean time.

JThorne

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: October 20, 2016, 04:38:05 pm »

Right, of course. I meant Lookout, not Sentry. Brain freeze. Making Lookout guaranteed not to hit three good cards is sometimes handy.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1686
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: October 20, 2016, 07:02:11 pm »

I assumed whoever said that meant to say Secret Passage and Sentry.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: October 28, 2016, 10:24:35 am »
+1

Hopefully the update packs are easy to get in Canada!

I think I'll apply errata with stickers to my binder pockets, so when a card is taken out I can remind the players.

Yes, I am also in Canada and would buy the update packs on the spot.

I bought the update packs at my local game store here in Montreal. Yay for distribution in Canada!

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +410
    • View Profile
« Reply #570 on: October 29, 2016, 01:23:14 am »

Had an interesting game to introduce me to the new cards: almost all of them were in the black market deck
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

arcee

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: rchandra
  • Respect: +56
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: October 29, 2016, 04:26:36 am »

I bought the update packs at my local game store here in Montreal. Yay for distribution in Canada!

Yeah, one of our shops was able to get them in for me.

A Ladder

• Baron
  • Respect: +41
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: October 31, 2016, 10:33:52 am »

Some thoughts on the second edition of Intrigue,  Played a game with the following kingdom: Expand, Wharf, Replace, Patrol, Workers Village, Villa, Secret Passage, Sacrifice, Smugglers, and some other card I don't remember. 
Obvious engine. I opened Sacrifice and Smugglers and then got a five copper hand in the first reshuffle. Easy transition into a wharf+engine. My payload: Replace.
Holy cow Replace is AWESOME! Not only could I transfer Smuggled Silver into wharves (actually I think I used it to get a village onto my deck to continue drawing) but when I started to pull ahead with cycling I used replace to turns Golds into Province and Province into Province, all the while cursing my opponent.

We all know that Remodel Province to Province is great to get a clock on the game, but Replace makes it so much better because it gives you one more VP ahead due to the cursing. Big fan.

Patrol didn't see play b/c Wharf was available, Secret Passage was OK. It was good to seed next hands with draw or extra villages.

Chris is me

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: October 31, 2016, 10:39:32 am »

Further 2E thoughts after this weekend:

Sentry continues to underwhelm me as a trasher, and I keep losing games by getting it late or not investing as much in better trashing.

Artisan is super good. Especially with nonterminal draw, and / or Village support. It stays good far later than other gainers do. You hardly care about the reduced hand size.

Harbinger is kinda cute sometimes.

bug me on discord

they/them

Orange

• 2012 WBC Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Orange
  • 2012 WBC Champion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: November 06, 2016, 12:42:52 pm »
+1

Sentry continues to underwhelm me as a trasher, and I keep losing games by getting it late or not investing as much in better trashing.

Sentry early is great.  But if you get it late, well yes, you are probably going to lose.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25  All

Page created in 2.528 seconds with 21 queries.