Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 25  All

Author Topic: Dominion and Intrigue second editions  (Read 240826 times)

soudek01

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion and Intrigue second editions
« Reply #400 on: September 29, 2016, 02:32:42 pm »

Will the update pack for Dominion come with the trash mat?

Nope.

Presumably future copies of the Base Cards will come with it?
I don't presume that and don't know.

The Trash mat, it's not some awesome thing to desperately try to acquire. It's better than the Trash card, but the Trash section of the table has always worked for me. You can also take e.g. a Tavern mat and turn it over.

Donald, of course, you're completely right. But that doesn't change me wanting the trash mat. I guess I'll just have to destroy my copy of Dominion (V1) to be able to justify to my wife why I need to buy another copy of the same game. "Gotta get that trash mat" won't work.

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: September 29, 2016, 02:36:56 pm »

Saying that Woodcutter and Great Hall had to go because they were boring, is the same as saying that Village and Smithy should go too, to be replaced by more snazzy alternatives.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 02:54:55 pm by Jeebus »

allanfieldhouse

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +374
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: September 29, 2016, 02:38:17 pm »
+1

Saying that Woodcutter and Great Hall had to go because they were boring, is the same as saying that Village and Smithy should go too, to be replaced be more snazzy alternatives.

"Boring and not good" is not the same thing as "boring".

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: September 29, 2016, 02:52:00 pm »
+3

Amazon now has pre-orders for the 2nd edition update packs and 2nd edition of Intrigue. They don't have Dominion 2nd Edition listed yet.

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: September 29, 2016, 02:54:46 pm »

Saying that Woodcutter and Great Hall had to go because they were boring, is the same as saying that Village and Smithy should go too, to be replaced by more snazzy alternatives.

"Boring and not good" is not the same thing as "boring".

1) True, and I just said "boring", since some poeple have said that.
2) But in any case, Great Hall is good.
3) Saying that Woodcutter had to go because it was boring and not good, is the same as saying that Workshop should go too, to be replaced by more snazzy alternatives.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: September 29, 2016, 02:57:16 pm »
+3

Proposed new cards:

Jazz Village
Jazz Hall
Jazzshop

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: September 29, 2016, 03:00:30 pm »

Will the update pack for Dominion come with the trash mat?

Nope.

Presumably future copies of the Base Cards will come with it?
I don't presume that and don't know.

The Trash mat, it's not some awesome thing to desperately try to acquire. It's better than the Trash card, but the Trash section of the table has always worked for me. You can also take e.g. a Tavern mat and turn it over.

Right?  Trash pile is over there, no we don't need a mat or a card, that's silly.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: September 29, 2016, 03:09:18 pm »

2) But in any case, Great Hall is good.
Lies...

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: September 29, 2016, 03:11:50 pm »
+1

I think people way overvalue cantrips simply because they are rarely a dead card. I'm surprised by the defense for Great Hall and even Pearl Diver. I think because the card isn't terminal, people are like, well, if I have a spare $3 I can buy a Great Hall. Just because you can buy a card with spare change doesn't make it good or worth existing. Heck, if I go to the store, I can use my spare change to buy a candy bar. That doesn't mean the candy bar is healthy for me. Okay, probably not the best analogy.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: September 29, 2016, 03:14:52 pm »
+3

Candy bars actually improve the enjoyment of your deck.

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: September 29, 2016, 03:16:05 pm »

I got to the arcade. I put money on a card. I spend all but 26 cents. There is only one machine that takes 25 cents. I play that game. It isn't  that fun but i got it for free.
Useless cantrip summary

allanfieldhouse

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +374
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: September 29, 2016, 03:37:28 pm »
+1

Amazon now has pre-orders for the 2nd edition update packs and 2nd edition of Intrigue. They don't have Dominion 2nd Edition listed yet.

Ouch, full MSRP. $30 for 14 (140) cards isn't the best value. Is that just because it's new/preorder? All the other sets sell for a significant discount.

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: September 29, 2016, 03:40:22 pm »

I have been away from the forum for a while, and I come back and there is this then only 16 page thread about these new second edition thingies. I have gotten tired of reading other people's responses, and will now give my own opinion.
Base:
Removed Cards: We can all agree that no one here will miss these cards. However, my family (specifically, my brother) will miss theif (mostly because he liked to buy them all and call himself the king of theives)
New Cards:
Artisan - not much to say. It works as a replacement for feast, although I think I like feast better. I like that it takes Adventurer's place as the only card in the base set
Bandit - I kind of wish the gold gaining was conditional on an opponent revealing at least one treasure, but that's fine. I like that it is so much less swingy with Harem.
Sentry - Not much to say about this one. It's a nice replacement for spy, and goes so much faster.
Poacher - A peddler variant. Good choice for the base game. "per empty supply pile" not as much of a good choice. I like that it is used again on something other than City, but it might have been better for intrigue.
Harbinger - What Pearl Diver should have been
Merchant - Anyone else think this should have been Coppersmith's replacement in Intrigue?
Vassal - A simpler Herald. It's fine. The can't all be the best ever.
Intrigue
Removed Cards: I'm going to miss Coppersmith and Tribute. I think that Donald should have taken out Swindler instead of Sab, mostly because swindler is so much more annoying due to its being cheaper and easier to use. Sab to me is a much nicer and elegant card, and plays less of an annoyance factor due to not easily self gaining and not always attacking.
New cards:
Courtier - As a replacement for tribute, It's OK. I like that it uses all types. I think tribute was better though.
Replace - The attack is fine, being conditional, and is not too crazy overpowered. Not sure the game needs another remodel variant added to the existing sets though.
Diplomat - I find this as confusing as secret chamber was. It is kind of interesting as a reverse shanty town, but for the most part it is probably one of my least favorite cards here
Mill - A slight buff to Great Halls (The biggest cough drop ever!) and still can do what great hall did (Ironworks fodder and remodeling estates without losing points). Not making a very big change with this one, which is good. I find that great hall was one of the most balanced cards in the set, and this works as a nice replacement.
Secret Passage - I don't really have anything to say about this one.
Lurker - The supply trasher that Donald has talked about possibly doing has finally arrived! I feel like this is a card that will take a very long time to master, but will be well worth it.
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: September 29, 2016, 03:47:14 pm »

The one issue I have with Theif's 'replacement', is you can't get non-base Treasures.  That was sort of the advantage Theif had over Noble Brigand.. you could steal any Treasure. 

Is "Gain a Treasure" too powerful for Bandit?  Also, why not just have the trashing optional?  Sometimes you may want to trash their Copper, though maybe those cases are rare enough to not make it worth it.

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1606
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: September 29, 2016, 03:53:02 pm »
+2

Is "Gain a Treasure" too powerful for Bandit?

Way. "Gain a Treasure costing up to $6" seems fine though.

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: September 29, 2016, 04:13:00 pm »
+1

Ouch, full MSRP. $30 for 14 (140) cards isn't the best value. Is that just because it's new/preorder? All the other sets sell for a significant discount.

Yes, it will change. Amazon initially priced Empires at MSRP or something very close to it, and then the price dropped over time

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: September 29, 2016, 04:43:28 pm »

Yes, it will change. Amazon initially priced Empires at MSRP or something very close to it, and then the price dropped over time

Keep in mind, Prime shipping often makes up cost difference vs expedited shipping on other sites.

Also, I only see both Upgrade packs on there and Intrigue 2, no Dominon 2 yet?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 04:44:49 pm by Chris is me »
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: September 29, 2016, 06:41:23 pm »

The one issue I have with Theif's 'replacement', is you can't get non-base Treasures.  That was sort of the advantage Theif had over Noble Brigand.. you could steal any Treasure. 

Is "Gain a Treasure" too powerful for Bandit?  Also, why not just have the trashing optional?  Sometimes you may want to trash their Copper, though maybe those cases are rare enough to not make it worth it.

Reliably gaining Gold is still an advantage for Bandit.  And yeah, probably the cases where you want to trash Copper are too rare... and also making it optional would get political.

soudek01

• Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: September 29, 2016, 07:20:51 pm »
+1

Keep in mind, Prime shipping often makes up cost difference vs expedited shipping on other sites.

Go to Amazon, search "Dominion update pack" and both update packs will appear.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: September 29, 2016, 08:40:03 pm »
+2

I imagine the reason is because it's Base and you want to keep it simple.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #420 on: September 29, 2016, 08:56:55 pm »
+7

I imagine the reason is because it's Base and you want to keep it simple.

Even if it weren't Base, "Gain a Gold" is just much shorter and simpler than "Gain a Treasure costing up to $6". And the card has a bunch of other text on it, so that simplicity is extra important.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: September 29, 2016, 09:45:33 pm »
+2

He means Amazon is missing the new base set.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: September 30, 2016, 02:26:05 am »
+3

Diplomat is probably the worst of the replacement cards in my opinion. It's a bit confusing and has two inherently complex abilities. While it might be strong enough - another problem Secret Chamber had - it's not really better than it in terms of elegance.
About the best, i don't know. All do a very good job at replacing the original cards. I guess i like Mill because it's so pretty, but i have yet to play with it. I also like Bandit and pretty much all are better than the original. I also feel none of the old card ideas was completely lost, which is an effort that i appreciate. The cool thing is that now those ideas will actually matter.

For Lurker and Merchant, i'm not convinced they fit this early in the Dominion canon. Merchant would be fine in Intrigue, but Lurker seems like it belongs in Dark Ages. Probably this doesn't matter as much anymore now that all those expansions are available. Neither Intrigue nor Base need to play the role they played originally.

Also, why are some people switching the letters "i" and "e" in Thief? Am i missing something?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 02:27:16 am by Asper »

soudek01

• Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: September 30, 2016, 02:32:25 am »

He means Amazon is missing the new base set.

I just saw the new base base set on Amazon but it was "currently unavailable." All I did was search "Dominion" and then click on the "see newer version" option above the star rating for Dominion on the search results page.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: September 30, 2016, 02:47:24 am »

Courtier struck me as overpowered at first. It seems like it would still be a $5 if it was discard instead of reveal.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 25  All

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 22 queries.