Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 25  All

Author Topic: Dominion and Intrigue second editions  (Read 240833 times)

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion and Intrigue second editions
« Reply #350 on: September 26, 2016, 06:30:09 pm »

While we're on topic: The news that Hinterlands, Prosperity and Seaside don't get the same treatment was the saddest thing about the 2nd editions.

I really love the new Base and Intrigue, they probably improved the game soooo much.

Actually, I'm most sad DA doesn't get the same treatment. Cultist needs to go or at least get a powered down version.

Cultist sucks a lot, but I am fine enough with it not being modded with in any way.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: September 26, 2016, 06:34:20 pm »
+5

Why not offer those real people new better art on their new card, you ask? That sounds good to me, and I thought it would get Harem renamed, but it didn't.

Hum any chance we can get more details than that? What happened?
There is not much story. I said we could rename it. Jay said, but Valerie (who is depicted) loved getting that. I said, well she could be depicted in the new art. Jay wasn't interested.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: September 26, 2016, 06:34:53 pm »
+1

Honestly I view Swamp Hag as the fixed Embargo, rather than Tax.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: September 26, 2016, 06:35:28 pm »

Honestly I view Swamp Hag as the fixed Embargo, rather than Tax.

That's an interesting viewpoint. I can see it.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: September 26, 2016, 06:53:25 pm »

While we're on topic: The news that Hinterlands, Prosperity and Seaside don't get the same treatment was the saddest thing about the 2nd editions.

I really love the new Base and Intrigue, they probably improved the game soooo much.

Actually, I'm most sad DA doesn't get the same treatment. Cultist needs to go or at least get a powered down version.

*cough* Rebuild *cough*

Nflickner

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +131
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: September 26, 2016, 06:54:45 pm »
+2

But there are tons of awful cards in Seaside! There's Pearl Diver, Embargo, Explorer, Island, Pirate Ship, Haven, Lookout, Smugglers, and Navigator!

Horrible cards?!?!  Haven happens to be one of my favorite cards, pearl diver isn't great, but has a unique quirkiness to it, island is a very interesting twist on trashing, lookout is a super speedy trasher that you have to be very careful with.  Don't know what you mean.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: September 26, 2016, 07:01:15 pm »

But there are tons of awful cards in Seaside! There's Pearl Diver, Embargo, Explorer, Island, Pirate Ship, Haven, Lookout, Smugglers, and Navigator!

Horrible cards?!?!  Haven happens to be one of my favorite cards, pearl diver isn't great, but has a unique quirkiness to it, island is a very interesting twist on trashing, lookout is a super speedy trasher that you have to be very careful with.  Don't know what you mean.

I agree. Haven, Embargo, Lookout and Smugglers are all some of my favourite cards in the set. Being able to Embargo IGG, or Duke, or Cultist, or Familiar... Tee-hee.

traces Around

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: tracer
  • Respect: +437
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: September 26, 2016, 07:20:51 pm »
+1

*cough* Rebuild *cough*

Considering that Courtyard BM wins about half the games against pure Rebuild, Courtyard probably should have been removed from Intrigue as well as it just dominates games way too much.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: September 26, 2016, 07:49:58 pm »

*cough* Rebuild *cough*

Honestly, there's still a lot of stuff to think about with Rebuild.  There's strategy in the Duchy dancing.  How many Rebuilds do you get, when do you start buying Duchies instead, what other cards can/should you add to the mix.  And it's always satisfying when you get a strategy that can beat Rebuild.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: September 26, 2016, 08:16:22 pm »
+2

How can you not love Embargo?  It's like Messenger's on-buy ability, in that it affects everyone equally, and the only benefit is in exploiting differences between the players' strategies.  Exploiting asymmetry is not strong, but it's satisfying, like executing a successful Rats strategy, or getting those Treasure Maps to collide.  (Note: Treasure Map is ranked after Pirate Ship, but still no one has suggested its removal.)

Embargo is also a very high skill card.  No longer is the game just about finding the best strategy, it's about knowing the second best strategy, etc., and knowing how to pivot between them.

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: September 26, 2016, 09:13:18 pm »
+2

*cough* Rebuild *cough*

Honestly, there's still a lot of stuff to think about with Rebuild.  There's strategy in the Duchy dancing.  How many Rebuilds do you get, when do you start buying Duchies instead, what other cards can/should you add to the mix.  And it's always satisfying when you get a strategy that can beat Rebuild.
Honestly rebuild strategic choices arn't even that hard to make.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: September 27, 2016, 01:21:04 am »
+14

*cough* Rebuild *cough*

Rebuild games are like sorting socks. On a normal day, you can go shopping, or have a walk, or read a book, or paint the fence, and it's your choice. On sock ordering day, you order socks, and your choices get limited to whether you order by color, material or size. You still choose something, and maybe it's an art by itself, but that doesn't change that every sock-ordering day, you're forced to order socks.

madeofghosts

• Baron
  • Respect: +98
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: September 27, 2016, 05:15:44 am »

I like Navigator

RevanFan

• Spy
  • Respect: +41
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: September 27, 2016, 05:18:21 am »

I preordered the second edition of Base and the update pack for Intrigue from Miniature Market. Does anyone have a good guess as to when they'll get them in stock and shipped out?

Lhurgoyf

• Baron
  • Respect: +22
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: September 27, 2016, 05:59:58 am »

I like Navigator, even more than Cartographer. This is not an engine card, though. You will want this in Big Money decks. For a slog you can look if your next hand will be good enough to buy a duchy or Gardens.

Navigator really shines with the two Prosperity Treasures Loan and Venture: You can stack all green before the treasure, and with Loan make sure it hits that Copper instead of Platinum.

I think terminal Silvers do have a place in the game, and of the non-attacks Navigator is a very good one.

It also helps you shuffle new cards in faster.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: September 27, 2016, 09:31:45 am »

I preordered the second edition of Base and the update pack for Intrigue from Miniature Market. Does anyone have a good guess as to when they'll get them in stock and shipped out?

Miniature Market is slow as molasses. I am going to wait for Amazon to ship them. Let me know if you get the sets sooner than I! When I ordered Adventures and Empires, the set came later for me than if I waited a bit for Amazon. In addition, when I ordered Empires from Miniature Market, I ended up canceling the order because it took so long. I then ordered from Amazon, and I still got the set sooner than the guy who stayed with MM. Warning you in advance.

Minotaur

• Margrave
  • Respect: +3960
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: September 27, 2016, 11:00:49 am »

I wish this were easier to find...

*This is an edit of Nolan and Mameluke's posts to make the cards more readable:

Base Cards:

Removed -- Adventurer, Chancellor, Feast, Spy, Thief, Woodcutter

New Cards
Artisan Action
Gain a card to your hand costing up to $5.
Put a card from you hand on to your deck.

Bandit Action
Gain a Gold.
Each other player reveals the top 2 cards of their deck, trashes a revealed treasure other than Copper, and discards the rest.

Sentry Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
Look at the top 2 cards of your deck.
Trash and/or discard any number of them.
Put the rest back in any order.

Poacher Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
+
Discard a card per empty supply pile.

Harbinger Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
Look through your discard pile. 
You may put a card from it onto your deck.

Merchant Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
The first time you play a Silver this turn +.

Vassal Action
+
Discard the top card of your deck. If it is an Action card, you may play it.

Intrigue
Removed cards
Secret Chamber, Great Hall, Coppersmith, Scout, Saboteur, Tribute

New Cards

Courtier Action
Reveal a card from your hand.
For each type it has (Action, Attack, etc.), choose one: +1 Action, or +1 Buy, or +, or gain a Gold.'
The choices must be different.

Patrol Action
+3 Cards.
Reveal the top 4 cards of your deck. Put the Victory cards and Curse cards into your hand. Put the rest back in any order.

Replace Action/Attack
Trash a card from your hand. Gain a card costing up to more than the trashed card. If the gained card is an Action or Treasure, put it onto your deck. If it's a Victory card, each other player gains a Curse.

Diplomat Action/Reaction
+2 Cards.
If you have 5 or fewer cards in hand (after drawing), +2 Actions
-----------------
When another player plays an Attack card, you may first reveal this from a hand of 5 or more cards, to draw 2 cards then discard 3.

Mill Action/Victory
Worth 1
+1 Card
+1 Action.
You may discard 2 cards for

Secret Passage
Action
+2 Cards
+1 Action
Take a card from your hand and put it anywhere in your deck.

Lurker Action
+1 Action.
 Choose one: Trash an Action card from the Supply, or gain an Action card from the trash.
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: September 27, 2016, 11:06:58 am »
+5

Stuff one can find on the wiki

This is all up on the wiki

JThorne

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +604
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: September 27, 2016, 11:11:05 am »
+1

Diplomat synergizes well with discard-for-benefit like Secret Chamb... well, damn.

Truthfully, what it really wants is a Warehouse or a Minion or even a non-drawing +1 action card like Scou... well, damn.

Ok, how about a Candlestick Maker or a Mystic or a...Rebuild. Uh oh.

I suspect Diplomat chains are going to be really interesting, because they could make a disappearing money engine work with a bunch of terminal money actions, as long as you can kick off the first Dipolmat.

cascadestyler

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: cascadestyler
  • Vamos Cuidadanos!
  • Respect: +149
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: September 27, 2016, 11:16:53 am »

My concern is with all the pre-made sets of 10 from later boxes that include Dominion/Intrigue. Will new copies of later boxes (and, if so, from what date) have pre-sets that work with the 2nd editions of the first two boxes? Will they include both? As someone who is gradually working through all the boxes (I currently have Dominion, Intrigue, Seaside, Prosperity, Cornucopia, and Guilds), I'm worried half my boxes will have suggested sets that work with the 1st editions of Dominion/Intrigue and half with the 2nd editions. That would frustrate me greatly.
"You can't help people being right for the wrong reasons...This fear of finding oneself in bad company is not an expression of political purity; it is an expression of a lack of self-confidence."

- Arthur Koestler

Orange

• 2012 WBC Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Orange
  • 2012 WBC Champion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: September 27, 2016, 11:24:57 am »
+1

The revisions have been a crazy amount of work, not all of it done yet (I could be proofreading a revised rulebook as we speak); I do not imagine I will revisit this concept any time soon.

My kingdom for an official, comprehensive rulebook!  Well, maybe a Duchy and a couple Estates anyway.

allanfieldhouse

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +374
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: September 27, 2016, 11:32:18 am »
+5

Stuff one can find on the wiki

This is all up on the wiki

It doesn't appear to be all listed in one place though. I was only able to find it under the main Dominion and Intrigue pages (and mixed in with all the other cards that weren't changed). It'd be nice to have a standalone "1st vs 2nd editions comparison" page.

These 2 images are really helpful:
https://cf.geekdo-images.com/images/pic3190535.jpg
https://cf.geekdo-images.com/images/pic3190536.jpg

« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 11:33:56 am by allanfieldhouse »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: September 27, 2016, 11:44:31 am »

So what exactly is the lady on the horse with the bow and arrow supposed to be Harbinging?

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: September 27, 2016, 11:45:53 am »

So what exactly is the lady on the horse with the bow and arrow supposed to be Harbinging?

Probably upvotes for some future joke.

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +558
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: September 27, 2016, 12:15:45 pm »
+1

I THINK that's an army in the background.  She's harbinging the approach of the army, and presumably the imminent destruction of Steve's little town.  Poor Steve.
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 25  All

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 21 queries.