Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 25  All

Author Topic: Dominion and Intrigue second editions  (Read 240895 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion and Intrigue second editions
« Reply #325 on: September 26, 2016, 02:52:28 pm »

A Border Village or Death Cart gained by Replace will not go on top of your deck, because it's lost track of.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: September 26, 2016, 02:59:53 pm »

the fun thing about mill is that i already say "mill" pretty often when i discard cards. and when i play mill i'm probably gonna say "...and then vault two estates"
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1606
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: September 26, 2016, 03:07:05 pm »

Also notice that there is a nice progression:

Estate → Mill → Harem/Nobles → Province.

Replace your stuff, handing out curses along the way. It's like the silly Estate → Remodel → Gold → Province thing, except actually useful.

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: September 26, 2016, 03:17:53 pm »

Has anyone else noticed that there is both the palace(or a castle not sure witch) and the bridge are in the base cover art.

SuperHans

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: SuperHans
  • Respect: +233
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: September 26, 2016, 03:21:57 pm »
+8

Has anyone else noticed that there is both the palace(or a castle not sure witch) and the bridge are in the base cover art.
I'm not seeing the Witch.

LostPhoenix

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lost Phoenix
  • Your resident lurker
  • Respect: +325
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: September 26, 2016, 03:30:01 pm »
+2

I was never that interested in getting intrigue, but this second edition is starting to make me reconsider. These cards look fantastic.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: September 26, 2016, 04:00:15 pm »
+1

What's sort of interesting is that these 12 cards (and a few others) were already removed from my irl collection. I just set them aside in a separate box because I felt these were boring cards to show to new players.

A Ladder

• Baron
  • Respect: +41
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: September 26, 2016, 04:29:31 pm »

Will the update packs come with new card strips? (The thing in the middle of the box which had the names in alphabetical order.)

Also, when/where can we get these? everything I looked at just had a vague release date.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: September 26, 2016, 04:37:07 pm »

Will the update packs come with new card strips? (The thing in the middle of the box which had the names in alphabetical order.)

Also, when/where can we get these? everything I looked at just had a vague release date.

Supposedly American copies are being shipped to distributots today. My guess is we will see them in stores/online towards the end of the week/early next week
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 04:50:54 pm by Beyond Awesome »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: September 26, 2016, 04:37:12 pm »

Yes, and my FLGS said probably the end of this week.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: September 26, 2016, 05:00:57 pm »
+2

I guess, Lookout will be dropped from Seaside 2nd edition, because Sentry is now in the Base set.
There are no plans to drop cards from other sets. Seaside will get updated wordings and layout, but not dropped/added cards.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: September 26, 2016, 05:02:18 pm »
+2

Yes, we call that an "inlay" and the update packs include one (folded).

Jay anticipated shipping today (from RGG to distributors); I don't know how long it takes everyone after that though.

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: September 26, 2016, 05:07:42 pm »
+13

Prediction: Lurker will be a perfect avatar for some, but we'll almost never see it.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: September 26, 2016, 05:12:03 pm »

But there are tons of awful cards in Seaside! There's Pearl Diver, Embargo, Explorer, Island, Pirate Ship, Haven, Lookout, Smugglers, and Navigator!
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: September 26, 2016, 05:29:47 pm »
+1

But there are tons of awful cards in Seaside! There's Pearl Diver, Embargo, Explorer, Island, Pirate Ship, Haven, Lookout, Smugglers, and Navigator!

Pearl Diver is fine, why do people complain about Pearl Diver
Embargo is quite useful!
Explorer: see Pearl Diver
Island: see Explorer
Pirate Ship will always have a special place in my heart, and can be quite decent sometimes
I hate Haven, but other people like it, so
Lookout: see Island
Smugglers is a good card, shut your mouth
yeah, Navigator is pretty crappy

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: September 26, 2016, 05:42:48 pm »
+13

Pearl Diver, Navigator: These cards would be ones I'd replace, except, I couldn't, just as I couldn't rename Harem; they depict real people. Why not offer those real people new better art on their new card, you ask? That sounds good to me, and I thought it would get Harem renamed, but it didn't.

Embargo: I like Embargo fine but would make a new similar card in order to not require special tokens. But wait, Jay has a pile of those tokens in a warehouse somewhere. This was not actually doing anything for him for years.

Explorer: They can't all be the best $5 ever.

Island, Haven, Smugglers: Haven is fine. Island is sweet. Smugglers is my favorite card in the set.

Pirate Ship: I'm with you on this one.

Lookout: I might not do this card today, because casual players mostly don't like it. Experienced players know it's fine, sometimes you get Lookout, and it probably doesn't trash one of your Provinces. Anyway it's borderline.

Another thing someone can cite from the time machine post is that I don't like that there are two junkers costing less than $5. It slows down heavy Seaside games. People don't like that Sea Hag is a pure attack so it would be the one to replace. Probably with an interactive non-attack, since people also like attacks in general less than anticipated.

But this ship has sailed (get it). I looked at the other sets a year ago, did any sets want new cards other than Dominion and Intrigue. Seaside came the closest, Prosperity was a very distant 4th. Well there's Alchemy, but the basic way to change Alchemy is to not do it. It does have fans so it's not like we have to take it out of print, but revising it would be a very poor use of time, given that solving the speed issue would never solve the "it has Potions" issue. Hinterlands has enough cards I want changed, but they all want to be the same card only changed, which isn't on the table; we can't offer an update pack with "Fool's Gold now has no reaction" and such.

Anyway I looked at Seaside. The biggest positive things would be to get rid of Embargo tokens and use the coin tokens on say 3 cards. Seaside was made without tokens so I was not trying to make sure they were put to good use (when Prosperity was delayed due to Alchemy, I had time to add two more VP token cards to it). As I said, it was going to be a while before Jay was actually interested in not needing Embargo tokens. Then, two of the biggest duds to replace, I couldn't. In the end it got a tweaked rulebook and fixed wordings/layout (including Pirate Ship being clear about Guilds), but no new cards. And nothing else has new cards on the way either.

I did think of "what about an update pack with 1-2 new cards from each of several expansions." That didn't happen though.

The revisions have been a crazy amount of work, not all of it done yet (I could be proofreading a revised rulebook as we speak); I do not imagine I will revisit this concept any time soon.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: September 26, 2016, 05:49:54 pm »

I don't think getting rid of a few cards in Seaside would be a bad idea. Navigator and Pearl Driver really offer little to nothing to the game. Embargo could use a replacement. Also, there is that annoying blank spot in Seaside.

But, I'm not holding my breathe for a Seaside 2nd edition any moment.

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: September 26, 2016, 05:55:18 pm »
+1

I agree with pearl diver, explorer, island, lookout, and navigator.
Embargo: I would make this an event
Pirate ship: This is the only thing that can kill coppers to perform a total economic pin(Something that i want to do)
Haven is fine just people are bad at dominion
lookout is great and underrated.
Smugglers is a good card
I would add the hag to this list because it discourages Casual players from dominion and it sucks when there is no trashing.

Overall you should focus on more expansions
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 05:57:24 pm by Limetime »

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: September 26, 2016, 05:57:37 pm »

Pearl Diver is fine, why do people complain about Pearl Diver
Embargo is quite useful!
Explorer: see Pearl Diver
Island: see Explorer
Pirate Ship will always have a special place in my heart, and can be quite decent sometimes
I hate Haven, but other people like it, so
Lookout: see Island
Smugglers is a good card, shut your mouth
yeah, Navigator is pretty crappy

Pearl Diver is a horrible cantrip, although itprobably has to be done.

Embargo is almost never any good. The point of Embargo is to stop other people from buying a card. This is mainly only useful when you are behind and need to stop someone from getting a card, which you will almost certainly want to get yourself. There is also blocking Potion cards when one guy goes for something and you do not, notably Alchemist. There is also being so ahead that you block your opponent from getting a card, but if you're that ahead, you'll probably win anyways. It's like sending Curses with Ambassador, in which it's a move that rarely actually pays off.

I can argue with you about all of the other cards, but I do want to say that Embargo is completely awful. Tax does it much better. Embargo should have been an event.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: September 26, 2016, 06:03:24 pm »
+1

Seeing as how we have Tax, there really is not much need for an Embargo Event.

And, Seprix is right, Embargo is awful.

Island is pretty boring, but it's not a terrible card, though, I would not miss it. Distant Lands is just a million times better.

I like Lookout. It's a good trasher. It gets bad later on, but if you can track your deck, then it's a pretty solid trasher.

Pirate Ship is bad, but new players love it, and, well, Thief is gone. But, man, this card is awful.

Haven is sort of on the boring side, but it's not a bad card. Both Save and Gear do this concept a better job.

Explorer is sort of weak, but I think newer players like Treasure gainers. It's also an okay card for BM and slogs. I wouldn't mind it going, but there are better candidates.

Oh, and Smugglers. What's wrong with Smugglers?

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: September 26, 2016, 06:12:28 pm »

Why not offer those real people new better art on their new card, you ask? That sounds good to me, and I thought it would get Harem renamed, but it didn't.

Hum any chance we can get more details than that? What happened?
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: September 26, 2016, 06:14:25 pm »

Yeah, most of the cards I listed I would not even replace. Island is fine enough. Smugglers is super annoying and swingy but I wouldn't remove it. It is strong enough. Haven is also fine. I also understand Lookout enough for it to stay in. It's a fine card. Explorer is sad but it's a card I love anyways for all of it's faults.

Pirate Ship is pretty lame though. If I had to choose what to replace, I'd replace Pirate Ship, Pearl Diver, and Embargo.

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1470
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: September 26, 2016, 06:14:53 pm »

While we're on topic: The news that Hinterlands, Prosperity and Seaside don't get the same treatment was the saddest thing about the 2nd editions.

I really love the new Base and Intrigue, they probably improved the game soooo much.

Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: September 26, 2016, 06:18:08 pm »

While we're on topic: The news that Hinterlands, Prosperity and Seaside don't get the same treatment was the saddest thing about the 2nd editions.

I really love the new Base and Intrigue, they probably improved the game soooo much.

They really did. My hope is that the newer sets get some new buffs too, but it's like Errata and people will be pissed at having to constantly get new cards, so I understand the reluctance too.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: September 26, 2016, 06:19:49 pm »

Actually, I'm most sad DA doesn't get the same treatment. Cultist needs to go or at least get a powered down version.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 25  All

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 21 queries.