Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 25  All

Author Topic: Dominion and Intrigue second editions  (Read 240872 times)

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion and Intrigue second editions
« Reply #225 on: September 24, 2016, 08:07:41 pm »
+7

Lurker makes Rogue look silly.

Anyway, I'm sad we're short one +Buy. I always feel +Buy the to be the most common element missing in most Kingdoms. Another trasher is good and all the nonterminals help. Another Village may have been nice.

As for Intrigue, Patrol is quite the Scout buff. It seems kind of strong actually. Also, I'm surprised get another Smithy variant since Envoy was removed for that reason.

mameluke

• Duke
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: September 24, 2016, 08:10:28 pm »

It's interesting that the benefits that Courtier gives really have nothing to do with what Tribute gives. Notably, no way to get +Cards and no village effect.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: September 24, 2016, 08:16:08 pm »
+1

Anyway, I'm sad we're short one +Buy. I always feel +Buy the to be the most common element missing in most Kingdoms. Another trasher is good and all the nonterminals help. Another Village may have been nice.
Base loses a buy, but Intrigue gets one. Also, there are quite a lot of new gainers

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: September 24, 2016, 08:26:34 pm »

So... Lurker. I'm pure theorycrafting here, but I wonder if it's really going to be that great. In some kingdoms, of course, it could be great. King's Court a Lurker, gain a King's Court and a half. But a lot of the time, this is effectively two card plays to get a $5 or $6 card, and with a risk of your opponent sniping them if you're careless. So... sorta like a psuedo Silver to Gold that only works on action cards, maybe? Although in T4B it's insanely efficient. I guess I'm beginning to convince myself that it's pretty good actually. Yeah, this thing could be really powerful in the right kingdom. But I think it'll be skippable a lot of the time, or possibly something you pick up a single copy of because you want to deny your opponent free trash control.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: September 24, 2016, 08:29:46 pm »

So... Lurker. I'm pure theorycrafting here, but I wonder if it's really going to be that great. In some kingdoms, of course, it could be great. King's Court a Lurker, gain a King's Court and a half. But a lot of the time, this is effectively two card plays to get a $5 or $6 card, and with a risk of your opponent sniping them if you're careless. So... sorta like a psuedo Silver to Gold that only works on action cards, maybe? Although in T4B it's insanely efficient. I guess I'm beginning to convince myself that it's pretty good actually. Yeah, this thing could be really powerful in the right kingdom. But I think it'll be skippable a lot of the time, or possibly something you pick up a single copy of because you want to deny your opponent free trash control.

Using it on t4b is hilarious. Hunting Grounds says hi. Lurker can also be used for pile control. It's conceivable to build a Lurker engine that's goal is to wipe out supplies to end on a three-pile

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: September 24, 2016, 08:30:49 pm »
+4

The wording on Vassal is a little strange to me. Shouldn't it be "Reveal the top card of your deck, etc., discard it otherwise"? If the card is an Action card and you decide to play it, it's not ever in your discard pile, right? I know this doesn't matter for Tunnel but in case there are other cards that care about 'when discard', it might?
In general I don't want to make a card wordier or confusing to handle exotic cases unless there's no other way to do it, and for the main set especially I was desperate to have shorter wordings.

This is also why Merchant says "first" rather than "next."

Edit: And if you play the card it did visit the discard pile - you discarded it.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 08:35:39 pm by Donald X. »

mameluke

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: September 24, 2016, 08:31:09 pm »
+1

I think you need to play Lurker in pairs, unless Swindler or something else can put things into the trash. I thought about gaining Prince with this after the first shuffle, but you risk your opponent picking it up before you do. Otherwise, great card to Prince.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: September 24, 2016, 08:34:58 pm »
+1

...So does this mean if you play Merchant ''after'' the "first Silver you play this turn" (via Storyteller or whatever), you don't get the bonus for the next Silver you play?

Phil

• Swindler
  • Shuffle iT Username: Sunfall
  • Respect: +76
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: September 24, 2016, 08:37:32 pm »
+2

I just spent over an hour chatting with friends about the new cards.  For the most part, I'm super excited by them, and don't really miss any of the cards that are missing.

I will say that I'm not a huge fan of several of the new wordings, particularly on Mill.  The old "Do X.  If you do, do Y." made it clearer (to me) that you could half-complete action X, but you wouldn't gain benefit Y for doing so.  The text on the card of Mill doesn't imply to me at all that you can discard a single card.  The FAQ entry tells me I can, which is nice, but that's not how the card reads to me.

Overall, though, I'm quite stoked.  I have several friends who have been waiting for an improved printing of Intrigue, and now they'll get a bunch of fun new cards to go with it.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: September 24, 2016, 08:38:11 pm »
+4

...So does this mean if you play Merchant ''after'' the "first Silver you play this turn" (via Storyteller or whatever), you don't get the bonus for the next Silver you play?
Yes. When you played your first Silver, you didn't have the Merchant around.

mameluke

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: September 24, 2016, 08:49:21 pm »
+1

Merchant has replaced Woodcutter in the 'First Game' recommended set.

arcee

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: rchandra
  • Respect: +56
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: September 24, 2016, 09:20:28 pm »

I'm definitely going to miss woodcutter, just a cheap solid simple +buy.  Thief's replacement is probably for the best but I will miss Thief/Gardens multiplayer.

Not a huge fan of the easy Gold gaining, even if Gold is often not great in modern engines.

I also miss Saboteur, but while I think Dominion as a whole is better with it Intrigue probably was not.

Sentry's pretty interesting - at first I thought it is much stronger than Junk Dealer which is already pretty good (you basically get the +$1 back by not trashing from hand), but you're a bit less likely to have cards to hit with it after a few uses.  Of course some of these other cards will put things back on the deck for you!

Oh hey, Secret Chamber / Minion was the most annoying thing ever and now Diplomat / Minion is quite nice.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 09:22:44 pm by arcee »

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: September 24, 2016, 09:34:56 pm »
+1

Additionally for Intrigue:
- One card changed mildly (Masquerade skips players with no cards in hand)

Just noticed all of this.  First thought: our favorite pin doesn't exist anymore!
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: September 24, 2016, 09:35:30 pm »
+1

of course....someone has most likely observed this before me.  I just didn't read through all the other comments.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Marcory

• Minion
  • Respect: +1203
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: September 24, 2016, 09:36:20 pm »
+1

Secret Passage is pretty much a redo of Haven, though I suppose it does let you save a key Reaction for the next turn, unlike Haven.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: September 24, 2016, 09:40:04 pm »
+1

Additional notes:

No use of while-in-play! I just noticed. Very nice.

Secret Chamber is a weak and annoying card, but I am still sad to see its unique effect go. Diplomat doesn't really give you the protection against decktop attacks, since you can't stack your deck with cards that you don't mind getting hit by Swindler or Knights or whatever.

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: September 24, 2016, 10:57:53 pm »

Courtier is way to weak to be an replacement. Less fun than tribute IMO.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: September 24, 2016, 11:02:32 pm »

Lurker makes me think of StarCraft.

I think these are great changes. I like the new cards both gameplay wise and theme wise. In particular, Artisan is a nice replacement for Feast and helps players who went a bit overboard with terminals. Though now, there are less junky terminal trap cards to put in your deck in the first place.

Also nice that new players get to ponder why Bandit only costs $5.

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #243 on: September 24, 2016, 11:04:35 pm »
+3

It's awesome that a lot of the new cards have women on them.  Helps correct the gender balance in the early sets. 

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: September 24, 2016, 11:05:45 pm »
+2

Courtier is way to weak to be an replacement. Less fun than tribute IMO.

Are you kidding?  Worst case, you've got either a terminal Gold or a Gold generator in your kingdom.  Average case you'll get that *and* it'll be nonterminal.  It's also a +Buy card, which is nice.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

mameluke

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: September 25, 2016, 01:05:32 am »
+3

Now that Thief is gone, you can't steal exotic treasures from your opponents. You can still get them if you play Bandit and then Rogue or Graverobber, but only if they cost between and . With cost reduction you can still pull Platinum and Bank, but once a Fool's Gold is trashed, it's gone forever. Bandit seems to look more like Pirate Ship in that it doesn't really matter what you trash, the upside here is that you always attack and you always get the Gold, you don't have to choose.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: September 25, 2016, 02:03:02 am »
+1

Re: Removed cards
Glad that Harem stayed. The only cut cards I'll miss are Spy and Scout, and Scout mainly because of its legacy of being terrible (and because it's fun in those extremely rare cases usually in designed kingdoms with Mystic and/or Inheritance).

Disappointed that there's no card that has a reaction like Secret Chamber's. I won't miss the card itself, but now I'll have to make a fan card that uses the reaction (or one very similar to it).

Re: New cards
I really like the new cards, but there seems to be a bit of power creep.  Vassal seems stronger than Conspirator in action-heavy decks. Lurker can easily be OP in combination with TfB or trashing attacks. It makes Rogue look like the new Scout.
Harbinger is pretty similar to my Kingdom Restoration card, but different enough to use both.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 02:04:42 am by LibraryAdventurer »

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: September 25, 2016, 02:14:54 am »

I am pretty sure Vassal is weaker than Conspirator, due to its inherent randomness (and also, being terminal if your deck is empty).
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: September 25, 2016, 02:37:14 am »
+1

Where (online) can I get the Update pack?
When I didn't see it on Amazon, I was hoping to order it from the RGG website, but you can't.

EDIT: nevermind I found (and ordered) it on miniaturemarket.com
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 02:48:57 am by LibraryAdventurer »

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: September 25, 2016, 02:40:01 am »
+3

Where (online) can I get the Update pack?
The future? The new stuff was announced to distributors at the same time as to the public, and people take time to react. Distributors have bought update packs so it's only a matter of time before they're offered for sale.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 25  All

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 21 queries.