Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 25  All

Author Topic: Dominion and Intrigue second editions  (Read 240805 times)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion and Intrigue second editions
« Reply #450 on: October 03, 2016, 05:00:25 pm »
+2

Here's a thought: What if Vagrant and Lurker switched places? Would they match their sets more then? Vagrant can be scout-ish in cleaning up the top deck and picking up vp hybrids, and Lurker basically belongs in dark ages.

Well, Vagrant then couldn't draw Ruins or Shelters, since those don't exist in Intrigue.

Also, Dark Ages has enough gain-from-trash. I think Lurker would feel less special there. It's not like there are complex rules involved in gaining cards from the trash, such that all of that wants to be in one place.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: October 03, 2016, 06:08:17 pm »
+6

The secret history is up in case someone didn't see it: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16338.0

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: October 03, 2016, 06:23:17 pm »

One card will be getting new art, Platinum.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: October 03, 2016, 06:39:09 pm »

One card will be getting new art, Platinum.
Oh man, I forgot about that when answering that Moat question.

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: October 03, 2016, 06:49:37 pm »

Do the update packs contain randomizer cards for the new cards?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: October 03, 2016, 07:25:43 pm »
+2

Do the update packs contain randomizer cards for the new cards?
Yes.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: October 03, 2016, 08:13:27 pm »
+6

The secret history is up in case someone didn't see it: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16338.0

The wiki has been updated.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Hockey Mask

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: October 04, 2016, 07:35:40 pm »
+2

Picked up the update packs today from my local game store. The small boxes will be handy to hold my Dominion bits.
-The Compulsive Completist

cascadestyler

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: cascadestyler
  • Vamos Cuidadanos!
  • Respect: +149
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: October 05, 2016, 06:53:36 am »

As the 2nd editions get out and about, it's going to be harder and harder to get copies of the 12 removed cards. I know what I'd be like if I'd just found dominion right now, I'd start with the new editions, but, over time, I'd want to play with those 12 cards. Maybe they aren't that good, but I'd feel I'd want to decide that for myself.

So, I was wondering if there are any plans afoot to put out a "The lost cards" pack - just a little sort-of-expansion that gives you the 12 removed cards, for the people (like me) who like to have everything. It would be the crappiest dominion expansion ever, but hell I know I'd happily fork out a tenner for it if I had the 2nd editions. Variety is the spice of life, and some of those removed cards (woodcutter and chancellor) have featured importantly in some very fun games I've played. I know that the reason they're gone is sound - they aren't interesting very often, generally they're pretty much pointless on the board they're on - but in certain cases they can still be fun and important, so I'd want them involved in my randomisation so they could pop up every now and then.

I have very fond memories of winning a game with a treasureless engine of Library/Festival/Chancellor - I wouldn't want that oppurtunity denied to anyone :p
"You can't help people being right for the wrong reasons...This fear of finding oneself in bad company is not an expression of political purity; it is an expression of a lack of self-confidence."

- Arthur Koestler

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: October 05, 2016, 09:28:37 am »
+5

Man, that seems hard to justify. Those cards are just bad, and selling them as a set even if you try your very best to make sure people know the cards are bad would put Donald/RGG in a tough position with people who didn't realize it.

Also, just because the cards are bad doesn't mean the cardboard is cheaper. I doubt you can get 12 cards for $10. The price (MSRP) would probably have to be closer to the $30 the 14 new cards are currently priced at.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: October 05, 2016, 09:51:27 am »
+1

I've just realized that with the new cards, Dominion and Intrigue combined have gone from 3 topdecking effects - 2 of which weak ones (Courtyard, Bureaucrat and Secret Chamber, special mention to Scout and Spy who topdeck cards from the top of one's deck), to having 6 (Courtyard, Artisan, Harbinger, Bureaucrat, Secret Passage, and Replace), the new ones being pretty strong. Vassal might be in better company than it first looks like.

Also, I've just noticed that Secret Passage should be able to counter Trashing attacks almost better than Secret Chamber - Just bury your Estates 5 cards deep.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: October 05, 2016, 12:23:16 pm »
+4

As the 2nd editions get out and about, it's going to be harder and harder to get copies of the 12 removed cards. I know what I'd be like if I'd just found dominion right now, I'd start with the new editions, but, over time, I'd want to play with those 12 cards. Maybe they aren't that good, but I'd feel I'd want to decide that for myself.

So, I was wondering if there are any plans afoot to put out a "The lost cards" pack - just a little sort-of-expansion that gives you the 12 removed cards, for the people (like me) who like to have everything. It would be the crappiest dominion expansion ever, but hell I know I'd happily fork out a tenner for it if I had the 2nd editions. Variety is the spice of life, and some of those removed cards (woodcutter and chancellor) have featured importantly in some very fun games I've played. I know that the reason they're gone is sound - they aren't interesting very often, generally they're pretty much pointless on the board they're on - but in certain cases they can still be fun and important, so I'd want them involved in my randomisation so they could pop up every now and then.

I have very fond memories of winning a game with a treasureless engine of Library/Festival/Chancellor - I wouldn't want that oppurtunity denied to anyone :p

With 10 expansions and potentially more to come, I think for most people, it will be a long, long time before they are inclined to get the 12 "lost cards."

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: October 05, 2016, 12:43:24 pm »

So with no discard attack, Diplomat is a Moat, which is bad.
With a normal Militia attack, Diplomat changes into a Necropolis, after letting you cycle and nullifying the attack. (You will have 4 other cards, half totally random and half being the best 2 out of 6 cards.)

Is that right?

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: October 05, 2016, 12:49:41 pm »
+1

With a normal Militia attack, Diplomat changes into a Necropolis, after letting you cycle and nullifying the attack. (You will have 4 other cards, half totally random and half being the best 2 out of 6 cards.)

Is that right?

I don't think it's quite the same as "turning into a Necropolis" since it turns into a Necropolis only if you treat the Militia attack as something that didn't happen. If you account for the attack it's more of a Lost City + cycling.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: October 05, 2016, 12:54:53 pm »

I don't think it's quite the same as "turning into a Necropolis" since it turns into a Necropolis only if you treat the Militia attack as something that didn't happen. If you account for the attack it's more of a Lost City + cycling.

Right, I did note that "turning into a Necropolis" was based on it also nullifying the attack and cycling. But I see that being a Lost City and including the attack probably makes a lot more sense. So you get the best 2 out of 6 cards, plus a Lost City.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 12:57:22 pm by Jeebus »

JThorne

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +604
    • View Profile
« Reply #465 on: October 05, 2016, 01:16:13 pm »
+3

Diplomat is going to be great with any handsize-reducers, which includes sifters like Warehouse/Inn, or any +Action card that doesn't draw cards, including Mystic, missing Shanty Town, Haven, non-terminal hand-size reducing trashers like Forager and Raze...a long list of cards, some of which are marginal, but if they upgrade Diplomat to a level-2 City/Lost City, could be worth it.

Sure, if you're drawing deck, once your hand gets over a certain size, Diplomat stops generating actions, but if you have four of them and the first two generate actions, then it's like playing four Labs. A $4 card that can stand in for several different $5 cards in the right circumstance is worth pondering.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: October 05, 2016, 06:38:08 pm »
+6

There are no such plans, and I hope there never are.

Here's how things look from my perspective: there are also no plans to publish all of the outtakes that weren't good enough. An endless parade of unpublished cards. I have plenty of fond memories there too.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: October 05, 2016, 08:07:25 pm »
+2

I just got the cards today. All of the art is pristine. No bad card art. The worst might be Patrol.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: October 05, 2016, 08:10:07 pm »
+3

I just got the cards today. All of the art is pristine. No bad card art. The worst might be Patrol.

It'd be funny if Patrol had the worst card art in the game.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: October 05, 2016, 08:14:04 pm »
+1

Patrol is better than Sentry.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: October 05, 2016, 08:25:55 pm »

Sentry is great. It might beat Pawn even.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: October 05, 2016, 08:51:12 pm »
+3

Sentry is great. It might beat Pawn even.
blasphemer
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: October 06, 2016, 03:51:53 am »
+4

Got my copies. My Intrigue had 11 Swindlers and 9 Trading Post.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: October 06, 2016, 04:02:34 am »
+36

Got my copies. My Intrigue had 11 Swindlers and 9 Trading Post.

Saboteur strikes back!

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: October 06, 2016, 09:16:06 am »
+9

Look what just came in the mail!

Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 25  All

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 20 queries.