Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Prince in the Form of an Event: Coronation  (Read 2684 times)

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
Prince in the Form of an Event: Coronation
« on: September 20, 2016, 10:07:40 pm »
+2

Coronation:
Gain an Action card costing up to $4, setting it aside. At the start of each of your turns, play that Action, setting it aside again when you discard it from play. (Stop playing it if you fail to set it aside on a turn you play it.)
Cost: $12
Event

This has not been playtested yet. It probably won't be playtested for a while, seeing as how I've played a whopping TWO games since I went off to college last month.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

tristan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +193
    • View Profile
Re: Prince in the Form of an Event: Coronation
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 04:12:12 am »

It would make Prince less risky. But it would also shut out Coronation ould of some games in which you never reach 12$. It might also make Prince weaker as the moment at which you reach 12$ might on average come later than the moment at which you play Prince.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 07:47:16 am »

Treasure Map likes this.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1606
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 10:14:35 am »
+1

Treasure Map likes this.

Treasure Map will trash itself on play and won't get set aside again. So Summoning the Map has the same effect and is $7 cheaper.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
  • Respect: +971
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2016, 10:27:28 am »

Treasure Map likes this.

Treasure Map will trash itself on play and won't get set aside again. So Summoning the Map has the same effect and is $7 cheaper.

I think he meant gaining exactly 12 from two TMs
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2016, 10:48:39 am »

I'm guessing that it's too strong. Prince, at , has multiple drawbacks that this lacks.

- Prince requires you to buy the card, costing an extra buy and an extra , and usually an extra turn.
- Prince requires you to line up the Prince with the card you want to Prince. If you draw Prince without a Princeable action, then it's dead for that shuffle.

Basically, its like this card is both an Prince AND a cards that are both printed on the same card. Think about a card that was like Treasure Map, but instead of requiring lining up 2 cards, it was juts a single card. That PLUS the benefit of it being an event instead of a one-shot, so you don't have to wait a shuffle to use it.

Basically, it's really close to being strictly better than an plus a . Of course I know that costs aren't additive like this; as it's much harder to hit $12. But even so, it just feels like this would be a race to $12 in most Kingdoms.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2016, 10:49:09 am »
+1

It would make Prince less risky. But it would also shut out Coronation ould of some games in which you never reach 12$. It might also make Prince weaker as the moment at which you reach 12$ might on average come later than the moment at which you play Prince.

You can always hit $12. $15 is the highest you can go with the worst possible circumstances. I mean, that doesn't take into account attacks but you know.

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1606
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2016, 12:02:57 pm »

Treasure Map likes this.

I think he meant gaining exactly 12 from two TMs

Oh, I see. I forgot that TM topdecks the gained Gold, so you are guaranteed $12 next turn!

tristan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2016, 01:51:44 pm »

You can always hit $12. $15 is the highest you can go with the worst possible circumstances. I mean, that doesn't take into account attacks but you know.
In a junking intense Kingdom you might not even hit 8 or even 6.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2016, 01:54:12 pm »

He was talking about possibility, not probability. There doesn't exist a Kingdom in which you can say "Coronation is unbuyable this game; it's never possible to hit $12". I mean, Dominate costs , and that's still always possible. But if you made a card or event that costs $16, it would be possible that in a given Kingdom, it is literally impossible to ever buy it.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

tristan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2016, 01:57:53 pm »

He was talking about possibility, not probability. There doesn't exist a Kingdom in which you can say "Coronation is unbuyable this game; it's never possible to hit $12". I mean, Dominate costs , and that's still always possible. But if you made a card or event that costs $16, it would be possible that in a given Kingdom, it is literally impossible to ever buy it.
So? My point still stands, namely that you reach 12 on average rarer and later than 8. This might very well make Coronation weaker than Prince in many situations.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 20 queries.