Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: 2016 Treasure Chest Design Contest - Part 11: Dark Ages (Results!)  (Read 15947 times)

mith

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: mith
  • Respect: +778
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
2016 Treasure Chest Design Contest - Part 11: Dark Ages (Results!)
« on: September 19, 2016, 04:45:01 pm »
+1

View Results!
View All Finalists
View Cards Submitted

This is the eleventh contest for this year's set. This week's challenge: Design a card which would fit well in the Dark Ages expansion!

Submission Rules

• Each participant may submit one card per challenge.
• Participation in previous or future challenges is not required to participate in this one.
• Submit your card to me via this forum's messaging system. Submissions made after each week's deadline cannot be accepted.
• Each card you submit must have a name, a cost, a list of types, and the exact wording that should appear on the card.  Also include a brief description of any special design considerations (e.g., Stash having a unique back), but do NOT include any other information, such as strategic commentary or examples about it would play.
• The name you give your card will appear on the ballot. If multiple cards with the same name are submitted, I will differentiate them with letters in a randomly chosen order, e.g. [Card Name] A, [Card Name] B, etc. Cards themselves will likewise be listed in a random order on the ballot.
• I will accept revisions to your contest entries provided they are submitted to me before the deadline.  If you submit a revision to an entry you have previously submitted to me, resubmit your revised card(s) in their entirety.
• Only submit cards that are your own design.
• You may submit cards that have been previously posted here in this forum, including those that have been refined by the community as a whole, provided you can still claim that the central conceit of the card -- and the majority of its final version -- is yours.
• A single card might conceivably qualify for multiple challenges within this series. If your card doesn't win the first challenge you submit it to, you may submit it for any and all future challenges (until it wins), provided the card fits those challenges. This is particularly pertinent for cards that don't win the first of two slots for a large expansion, although depending on which card does win, your card may not qualify for the second challenge.
• Do not disclose your submissions publicly, either in this thread or elsewhere!

Except where specified, you may not submit cards combine certain mechanics from multiple expansions. The idea is that you could simply slot the cards into their respective sets without needing components or rules specific to another set. Specifically:

• Duration cards may only be submitted as candidates for a Seaside or Adventures slot.
• Potion-cost cards may only be submitted as candidates for the Alchemy slot.
• Cards that use VP tokens or cost $7 or more may only be submitted as candidates for a Prosperity or Empires slot.
• Cards that use Coin tokens and cards that use overpay may only be submitted as candidates for the Guilds slot.
• Cards that use Ruins (Looters) and cards that use Spoils may only be submitted as candidates for a Dark Ages slot.
• Traveller cards, Reserve cards, and cards making use of player Tokens may only be submitted as candidates for an Adventures slot.
• Gathering cards, cards that use Debt, and Split piles may only be submitted as candidates for an Empires slot.

Many mechanics are fair game for any submission. The following is an incomplete list.

• Victory/Action and Victory/Treasure hybrid cards.
• Cards that allow you to choose an ability from a list.
• Cards with on-buy, would-gain, on-gain, and on-trash abilities.

Challenge #11: Dark Ages

Design a Kingdom card that would fit into the Dark Ages expansion. Such a card could have one or more of the following qualities:

• Does something when you trash it.
• Trashes itself and/or other cards.
• Cares about the trash.
• Uses Ruins and/or Spoils.

The winner from 2014 is:

Quote from: markusin
Mortuary

+1 Action
Look through your discard pile. You may trash a card from your discard pile or hand.

While this is in play, when you trash a card costing $2 or more, +1 Card.

$5      Action

Keep in mind that voters may want something that fills a different niche this time around.

Submissions are due by the end of Tuesday, 2016-09-27.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 02:36:49 pm by mith »

mith

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
Re: 2016 Treasure Chest Design Contest - Part 11: Dark Ages
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 04:47:07 pm »

The runner-up from 2014 will automatically be included in the preliminary voting. The author of these cards are allowed to submit a new card as well. (As is markusin, designer of the winning card.)

Quote from: Robz888
Renovate
Type: Action
Cost: $4
Trash a card from your hand. You may gain a card costing up to $1 more than the trashed card, putting it into your hand. If it is an Action card, play it.

Other cards from 2014 may be resubmitted as is, tweaked, or discarded in favor of a new concept.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2016, 02:31:13 am »

The 3rd place card from the old Dark Ages contest has become one of my favorite fanmade attack cards:
Incendiarist
Types: Action – Attack – Looter
Cost: $5
You may trash a card from your hand. If it is an… Action card, each other player gains a Ruins; Treasure card, gain a Spoils from the Spoils pile; Victory card, each other player gains a Curse.
(by GwinnR) I've been playing with it at cost $4, but this is the original version.

Nflickner

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +131
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2016, 11:15:20 am »

The 3rd place card from the old Dark Ages contest has become one of my favorite fanmade attack cards:
Incendiarist
You may trash a card from your hand. If it is an… Action card, each other player gains a Ruins; Treasure card, gain a Spoils from the Spoils pile; Victory card, each other player gains a Curse.
(by GwinnR) I've been playing with it at cost $4, but this is the original version.
That does sound like an amazing card.  It seems quite powerful already, why would you lower it to cost 4?

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2016, 01:33:10 pm »

/tag
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2016, 07:01:21 pm »

Incendiarist
That does sound like an amazing card.  It seems quite powerful already, why would you lower it to cost 4?
As a junker, it's pretty slow. You can give out 3 curses. In order to give out more junk, you have to trash action cards or victory cards beyond your starting 3 estates. Beyond that, it's a slow trasher that'll give you spoils for copper. It's a very good card, but I really don't think it's overpowered at $4.

tristan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +193
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 03:25:35 am »

The closest comparison is Ambassador as it is also a trasher-junker.

Ambassador pseudo-trashes faster than Incendiarist and hands back Curses. Incendiarist only advantage is that it might kickstart your economy quicker as you get a Spoils for a Copper (but you'd rather want the Coins immediately like e.g. via a Moneylender) and that it curses when it trashes Estates ... but as already mentioned, Ambassador can hand back Curses whereas Incendiarist trashes then without junking "back" (i.e. Ambassador defends well against its own junking whereas Incendiarist does not in the case of Curses). Its Ruins-junking will probably rarely happen.

So I am with LA on this, this card is definitely not a 5$.

mith

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2016, 03:26:38 pm »

Behind as usual (though this time I at least have something Dominion-related to blame, the tournament started). I'll get going on this before the end of the week though.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2016, 08:47:28 am »
+4

Behind as usual (though this time I at least have something Dominion-related to blame, the tournament started). I'll get going on this before the end of the week though.

The real question is, the end of which week?
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

mith

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2016, 04:47:57 pm »
+3

To get this going again before 2016 is over, here are the submissions for this round unedited. (If someone wants to clean them up for me, that would be great!)

Sutler
Cost: 5
Action - Looter

+1 Card
+1 Action

You may gain a Ruins; put it into your hand.
You may play an Action card from your hand.
You may trash a card you have in play.
--
In games using this: When a Ruins is trashed, put it on the bottom of the Ruins pile.

Profiteer:
Each other player gains a Ruins.
Reveal your hand. +$1 for every Ruins in your hand.
Action - Attack - Looter

Witchfinder
Types: Action - Attack
Each other player with at least five cards in their hand chooses and reveals three cards.  They each trash one of the cards they revealed of your choice.

Vandal
Cost $5 - Action - Attack - Looter
+2 cards.
Each player (including you) may reveal a Victory card from his hand and put it on top of his deck. If you do, +$2. Each other player who doesn't gains a Ruins.

Ceremonial Sword
Type: Treasure
Choose one: +3 cards, +1 buy OR for each Action you have in play, you may trash a Treasure from your hand and gain a Spoils per Treasure trashed this way.
Do the option you did not choose.

Counterpart
Action - $4 
Choose 2 of the following options:
  • Gain a Spoils from the Spoils Pile
  • Gain a Silver on your deck
  • Trash a card from your hand
Each other player may perform the option you didn't choose.
---
When you trash this, perform one of the above options

Tenant - Action $5

Draw up to four cards. Gain a Copper per card drawn.
_______
If you gained four Coppers, you may trash this card and gain a Landlord.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Landlord - Action $0*

+ 1 Action
+ 1 Card
+ 1 Buy

You may play up to four treasures from your hand as if they were Gold. If you do, return this card to the Supply.

(This card is not in the Supply).

Iron Maiden, Action - Attack - Looter, $3
Each player discards the top card of their deck. If yours is...
...an Action: +2 Actions;
...a Treasure: +$2;
...a Victory card: +2 Cards
Each other player gains, if theirs is...
...an Action: A Ruins;
...a Treasure: A Copper;
...a Victory card: A Curse

Barbarian
Types: Action-Looter
Cost: $3
+2 Actions
Trash a card from your hand.
--
When you trash this, +2 Cards and each other player gains a Ruins putting it on top of his deck.

Calvary
Types: Action-Attack
Cost: $6*

+1 Card
+1 Action

Follow the instructions on the top card of the Troops pile.

(This is not in the Supply.)

On the randomizer card: Add an extra Attack Kingdom card pile to the Supply. That pile is the Troops pile. In games using this, when you gain a Victory card, you may exchange a Troops pile card from your hand for a Calvary.

Clarification: Calvary is not in the Supply, so there will be 10 Kingdom cards as usual (or 11 with Young Witch). The "instructions" are the same thing that Enchantress blocks, so (for example) the "while in play" part of Goons would not be emulated by Calvary. Treat the coin values of Treasures (e.g. Relic or Rocks) as instructions as well. "Exchange" is the same keyword used for Travellers.

Barbarians
Action - Attack - Looter
+1 Action
Choose one:
You may return any number of Ruins from your hand to the Supply; or each other player gains a Ruins to their hand.
---
While this is in play, when you play an Action card, gain and play a Ruins.

Arsonist

+ $2
Each other player reveals their hand.  If they revealed 3 or more Treasures, they gain a Ruins.

While this is in play, when you trash a card, you may gain a card costing less than it.

Junkyard
Action/Looter - $5
+1 Card
+1 Action
You may gain a Ruins, putting it into your hand.
Discard any number of cards. +2 cards per Action card discarded, +1 card per every other card discarded.
You may trash this.
--
When you trash this, +2 cards.

contessa, $6 action

choose one: gain a card costing up to $4 and a copper, putting them into your hand; or +1 action, +1 buy; or trash this to trash a victory card from the supply.

Renovate
Trash a card from your hand. You may gain a card costing up to $1 more than the trashed card, putting it into your hand. If it is an Action card, play it.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2016, 05:33:27 pm »
+5

Fixed:

Sutler
Types: Action - Looter
+1 Card
+1 Action

In games using this: When a Ruins is trashed, put it on the bottom of the Ruins pile.

Profiteer
Types: Action - Attack - Looter

Witchfinder
Each other player with at least five cards in their hand chooses and reveals three cards.  They each trash one of the cards they revealed of your choice.

Vandal
+2 cards.
Each player (including you) may reveal a Victory card from his hand and put it on top of his deck. If you do, +$2. Each other player who doesn't gains a Ruins.

Ceremonial Sword
Types: Treasure
Choose one: +3 cards, +1 buy OR for each Action you have in play, you may trash a Treasure from your hand and gain a Spoils per Treasure trashed this way.

Counterpart
Types: Action
Choose 2 of the following options: Gain a Spoils from the Spoils pile; gain a Silver to your deck; trash a card from your hand

Tenant

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Landlord
Cost: $0*
+ 1 Card
+ 1 Action
+ 1 Buy
You may play up to four treasures from your hand as if they were Gold. If you do, return this card to the Supply.

Iron Maiden

Barbarian
+2 Actions

When you trash this, +2 Cards and each other player gains a Ruins putting it on top of his deck.

Calvary
+1 Card
+1 Action

On the randomizer card: Add an extra Attack Kingdom card pile to the Supply. That pile is the Troops pile. In games using this, when you gain a Victory card, you may exchange a Troops pile card from your hand for a Calvary.

Clarification: Calvary is not in the Supply, so there will be 10 Kingdom cards as usual (or 11 with Young Witch). The "instructions" are the same thing that Enchantress blocks, so (for example) the "while in play" part of Goons would not be emulated by Calvary. Treat the coin values of Treasures (e.g. Relic or Rocks) as instructions as well. "Exchange" is the same keyword used for Travellers.

Barbarians
+1 Action
Choose one:
You may return any number of Ruins from your hand to the Supply; or each other player gains a Ruins to their hand.
---

Arsonist
+$2
Each other player reveals their hand.  If they revealed 3 or more Treasures, they gain a Ruins.

While this is in play, when you trash a card, you may gain a card costing less than it.

Junkyard
+1 Card
+1 Action
Discard any number of cards. +2 cards per Action card discarded, +1 card per every other card discarded.
You may trash this.

Contessa
Cost: $6
Choose one: Gain a card costing up to $4 and a Copper, putting them into your hand; or +1 action, +1 buy; or trash this to trash a Victory card from the supply.

while this is in play, victory cards cost $1 less but not less than 0.

Renovate
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 Treasure Chest Design Contest - Part 11: Dark Ages (Voting! Finally!)
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2016, 11:25:30 pm »

The only one I'm not sure I understand is Ceremonial Sword.  Is it saying that you get to do both things, but you choose which order to do them?  I think that's what it's saying so that's how I'm going to judge it.

Also I'm pretty sure that Barbarian's below-the-line effect should only trigger on playing a non-ruins action card.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2016, 12:26:54 am »

Sutler
+1 Card
+1 Action

Sutler (n): a person who followed an army and sold provisions to the soldiers. Good to know.

This is cute, and it's been built with an obvious self-synergy. In fact, it really looks like it started with some kind of "Play the top Ruins, then put it on the bottom of the pile" design, which was then expanded to let it be a little bit Herald, and a little bit counter-Looter. I guess it looks ok?

Profiteer
Hmmm. It's like a Harvesting Marauder. Which doesn't sound that amazing. I guess that if one player gets this, it incentivises the others to get them for the cash, but then you need to be able to collide the two together. I don't know that this feels strong enough to make a proper $5, and even at $4 it feels just ok but not great.

Witchfinder
Maybe this is ok? I'm not sure how fun it will be even in the cases where it's not that damaging.

Vandal
+2 cards.
Wow, lots of Attacks this time around. This one sounds pretty balanced, though - almost a Dark Ages version of Bureaucrat but maybe a smidgeon better.

Ceremonial Sword
I assume that the point is that you actually do both things, but you choose what order? I feel the wording could be a bit better. It's kind of an interesting idea, especially given that it's a Treasure worth $0 but which can generally (at least temporarily) improve the coin value of your deck. I also like the way it cuts both ways (was that deliberate?) - either you can trade a few of your Coppers in for Spoils first and then hope to draw them, or you can try to draw first to get more Coppers in hand, then turn them all in at once.

Counterpart
Choose 2 of the following options: Gain a Spoils from the Spoils pile; gain a Silver to your deck; trash a card from your hand

This is really interesting. Non-attack interaction, a little bit like Governor but also not. I quite like this one.

Tenant

Landlord
+ 1 Card
+ 1 Action
+ 1 Buy
Well first, Landlord needs to say "return this to the Landlord pile", because there's nowhere in the Supply to return it to. Second, should it maybe be worded more like Enchantress? (So, "Play up to four treasures from your hand, getting +$3 for each one instead of following its instructions") I suppose this way it's basically like BoM or Overlord, so it works. *shrug* I dunno, this card is a bit weird.

Iron Maiden
I feel like this needs to cost a bit more than $3. Sure, it's not quite as effective at giving you want you want as Ironmonger is, but the junking is probably more effective, most of the time, than the average Curser, in the sense that by drawing from 3 piles the potential to keep junking lasts a lot longer.

Barbarian
+2 Actions

This seems nasty and yet cool. I kind of like it.

Calvary
+1 Card
+1 Action

Hmm. I feel like there's a bit much going on here, and I'd only consider it just barely being within the bounds of a Dark Ages card. Also, it essentially lets you turn an Attack card into a non-terminal drawing attack, as long as you take the time and green a bit to exchange it? That sounds mildly cwazy.

Barbarians
+1 Action
Choose one:
---
As trivialknot points out, the below-the-line bit needs to be tweaked to avoid gaining and playing the whole Ruins pile. Otherwise, it looks like it has a decent idea behind it, I guess. At least it provides its own cleanup method.

Arsonist
+$2

Top half seems fine. Bottom half sounds ok too, until you realise that with Trader and Watchtower you can trash the entire Silver pile.

Junkyard
+1 Card
+1 Action
You may trash this.

A bit Cellar, a bit Vagrant, a bit one-shot draw? This sounds kind of cool, until you realise you have to really junk your deck to make much use of it.

Contessa
Choose one: Gain a card costing up to $4 and a Copper, putting them into your hand; or +1 action, +1 buy; or trash this to trash a Victory card from the supply.

Um, this one just seems weird. I don't even know what the plan was behind it. Trying to offer as many bonuses as possible that Count didn't cover?

Renovate
[/quote]
Sort of a reverse Procession? It's probably an ok card, but I also don't know that it's a niche that needed filling.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2016, 01:50:45 am »

Sutler: seems good, if a little on the weak side. It's 'in games using this' effect could be really nasty with other looters though.

Profiteer: weak

Witchfinder: too mean

Vandal: I like it.

Ceremonial Sword: I suggest the auther pm mith with a clairification. If trivialknot's assumption is correct, I suggest "Do both of these in either order: ...". I think I'd like it that way.

Counterpart: Not bad, but not strong enough to be giving a benefit to other players.

Tenant/Landlord: Seems okay, but a bit weak. I don't think Landlord needs to be a one-shot every time. Maybe "If you play three or more coppers this way, return this to the supply landlord pile."

Iron Maiden: Seems good.

Barbarian: I like it.

Calvary: Overpowered. If Witch is the troops pile, then Calvary is "+3 Cards, +1 Action. Each other player gains a curse." yikes. PS: I'm guessing the title is meant to be "Cavalry" not "Calvary".

Barbarians: Not sure how this would play, could be good. But it should definitely be changed to "While this is in play, when you play a non-ruins Action card, gain and play a Ruins."

Arsonist: The attack is weak because it probably won't hit very often past the early game, but the "while this is in play" effect makes it strong enough to be good (although you'll usually need village support to take advantage of it).

Junkyard: I don't think junking yourself is worth the effect here.

Contessa: I think this would be balanced at $4 cost.

Renovate: Wasn't this in an earlier contest? Looks fine.

tristan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +193
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2016, 08:30:44 am »

Sutler is interesting but too expensive. I once thought about making a cantrip that provides one additional random vanilla boni but throwing a die seemed strange in Dominion and above all the card seemed boring and too swingy. This is a far better implentation as you know what you get beforehand and as you can always choose the Village option (get no Ruins, play an Action card from your hand).

The card is still risky though and chances are (before the game, once you run through the Ruins pile in a game the distribution will differ; so technically we have uncertainty about the actual probabilities and thus a tad more risk) 1/5 that you either get a Lab, a Peddler, a Village, a Market Square sans Reaction or a cantrip deck inspector.
These four options are worth 5,4,3, a bit less than 3 and for the cantrip version of Survivors probably around 3.
While Ironmonger is less likely to function as a Lab than Sutler it is better as it always sifts and I am pretty sure that at least in the opening I would prefer Ironmonger over Sutler. I feel safe to claim that Sutler has to cost 4.

Talking about Ironmonger, Iron Maiden is a cool card in the Ironworks family.

Counterpart is too similar to Amulet. It would probably be balanced at 4 without the other players getting something.

Barbarian would probably be OK at 2. It is just a Necro that trashes and the attack would only be worthwhile at a price of 2 and in a Kingdom with extra Buys.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2016, 09:01:59 am »
+1

Vandal: I like it.
That's kinda surprising. Doesn't seem like your type of card if you know what I mean.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

trivialknot

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2016, 01:07:09 am »

Sutler
+1 Card
+1 Action

It's a village that gives you the option of a random benefit instead of the +1 action.  It's probably strong for $4, weak for $5.  It looks neat, although my issue with random effects is that they don't really encourage any particular kind of strategy.

Profiteer
The beneficial effect is usually weaker than Secret Chamber.  I'd rather have a Marauder in my deck rather than a Profiteer.

Witchfinder
I suspect that trashing the median card from your hand doesn't hurt your deck that much, but it does hurt your hand.  I think this suffers from problems similar to Saboteur: It feels bad to get hit by it, it sucks that it has no beneficial effect, and is overall rather weak.

Vandal
+2 cards.
This is really neat.  It's a bureaucrat which encourages rather than discourages your opponent from having green?  The junking strongest in the mid-game, when estates have been diluted or trashed, and no greening has started.  It's almost strictly weaker than Witch, aside from the ability to get +$2.  Witch is strong though, and I'm fine with a card that is weaker than Witch.

Ceremonial Sword
This seems really powerful, and complicated too.  I'd like to see some of these abilities separated out.  +3 cards on a treasure seems really strong in a big money deck.  It's like BM+Smithy only the Smithies can chain like Cultist.  +1 buy only makes it more ridiculous.  Ceremonial Sword is also great in action-dense decks, because you can trash multiple treasures in one go.  And the spoils could really help with building.

Counterpart

Agree with others that this is on the weak side.  It's interesting to me that it trashes cards, and when you're done trashing it lets your opponent trash cards.  But it's such a slow trasher you may not ever get to that point.

Tenant

Landlord
+ 1 Card
+ 1 Action
+ 1 Buy
I can't tell how powerful this is by looking at it, but I'm not sure I want games where this is powerful.  For example, suppose Dominate is on the board, then then each player just floods their deck with copper, and hopes that the landlords collide with silver.

Iron Maiden
A $3-cost junker, that's a big deal!  However, it might just junk your opponents with copper, which is not very strong.  Because it uses both curses and ruins, there's a lot more junk to hand out, although I think the ruins are a much bigger deal while the curses are negligible.

Barbarian
+2 Actions

This reminds me of Catapult, being a weak trasher that also attacks sometimes.  But hey, it's non-terminal trashing, that's good in itself. Could be great for building an engine, although seems really awkward if it's the only splitter.  Awkwardness is one of the things I like most in a card.

Calvary
+1 Card
+1 Action

This is just begging us to look for a case where it's completely abusive.  Hey, how about those cantrip Goons?  Or cantrip Torturer?  I note that you only get one Cavalry per Victory card, so I suppose the net extra cards drawn is zero.

Barbarians
+1 Action
Choose one:
---
I don't particularly like junkers that replenish the junk (yes, Sutler did that, but it wasn't a junker).  And since this is cheap, provides no economy, and allows stacking, it seems like it could really stall games.  Wait, no, stacking a bunch of Barbarians is probably bad for you.

Arsonist
+$2

Another $3-cost junker!  This one is good early on, but probably becomes a terminal silver fast.  Seems like the card that discourages BM even if it never gets bought.

Junkyard
+1 Card
+1 Action
You may trash this.

Okay, ignore the ruins, and ignore the on-trash effect.  This is on the level of City Quarter.  In fact, it draws an extra card compared to City quarter, and you get a free Cellar on top of that.  Totally OP.

Contessa

I... can't really see the pattern in these abilities.  I guess you could get a bunch of these, and play 4 to gain a province and copper?  Seems pretty bad.  But maybe I'm missing something?

Renovate
So this is like a transmogrify that works now.  Only it can trash copper, and sometimes it's terminal.  Well Transmogrify is a cool card, I don't mind seeing a variant on the idea.  I would guess this is much stronger than Transmogrify.

mith

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2016, 03:37:38 pm »

Barbarians errata from the designer:

Barbarians
Action - Attack - Looter
+1 Action
Choose one:
---
While this is in play, when you play a non-Ruins Action card, gain and play a Ruins.

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2016, 04:05:31 pm »

One of those is my card.

Sutler
Cost: 5
Action - Looter

+1 Card
+1 Action

--
I really love this because of the synergy with many other Dark Ages cards like Fortress, Rats, Squire, Cultist and Hunting Grounds. It's also nice if you have other Looters, because it removes the better Ruins like Ruined Library or Ruined Market from top of the Ruins pile, whilst giving you a Lab or Market Square.

Profiteer:
Action - Attack - Looter
This looks like a chimera of Marauder and Coppersmith. Heavily overpriced for a terminal without other benefical effects. $2 probably would be the best cost for this.

Witchfinder
This attack belongs to the things . I also tried this once, but it does not work well. Its too political and the probability of revealing a good card is too high. Taxman does this better.

Vandal
Cost $5 - Action - Attack - Looter
+2 cards.
This card is rather nice and it seems to be very balanced. I love Torturer-like interactions. It is also very nice that you can draw your "reaction" Victory card every turn. This card misses pin prevention clause, which is important, especially in multiplayer games (e. g. "each player with at least five cards in their hand").

Ceremonial Sword
Type: Treasure
This is kinda nice. Council Room or Copper remodeler. I also love the synergy of both effects, assuming there is a village in the kingdom.

Counterpart
Action - $4 
Choose 2 of the following options:
  • Gain a Spoils from the Spoils Pile
  • Gain a Silver on your deck
  • Trash a card from your hand
---
Interesting Trader variant. There is nothing to say here.

Tenant - Action $5

_______

Landlord - Action $0*

+ 1 Action
+ 1 Card
+ 1 Buy

This is a very interesting tribute to the Hermit/Madman theme. I would give it a try.

Iron Maiden, Action - Attack - Looter, $3
So, I thought there was a reason that Donald dropped Tribute. This is too random and frustrating. If all Curses ran out, this card is even worse, because it discards Victory cards from your opponents. In the best case this is a Witch which removes Victory card payload at each player. In the worst case, you reveal a Hovel or a Curse. This range is too risky in my opinion

Barbarian
Types: Action-Looter
+2 Actions
--
This is a very simple, stupid and good card. Buy two Barbarians, slowly kill your Copper and Estates, wait for a Barbarian collision, trash the second Barbarian. I love such cards.

Calvary

+1 Card
+1 Action

Ugh, converting a Witch into a double Lab is tough, but I cannot judge about this card unless I have tested it. Definitively worth to try.

Barbarians
Action - Attack - Looter
+1 Action
Choose one:
---
While this is in play, when you play a non-Ruins Action card, gain and play a Ruins.
This is even worse than Profiteer. If this was a Action/Victory card with 1 VP it would probably be okay, however. Edit: I did not note that the original version allowed to play the entire Ruins pile. This does not change my mind about the corrected card, though.

Arsonist

+ $2

I like this card. A simple junker like Jester, which may turn into a Copper or Estate later. Nothing to be added here.

Junkyard
Action/Looter - $5
+1 Card
+1 Action
You may trash this.
--
At the first glance I thought that this is similar to another submitted card, Sutler. But now I see that this is a Lab with self-junking, Cellar and Mining Village like oneshot effect. I feel that this is balanced against Death Card, but this needs a lot of testing.

contessa, $6 action

choose one: gain a card costing up to $4 and a copper, putting them into your hand; or +1 action, +1 buy; or trash this to trash a victory card from the supply.
So, this is a Duchy gainer with a forced Ill-Gotten Gains effect, a Market Square/Bridge mix or Salt the Earth. This is perfectly tailored to alt VP and slog games, which are common in Dark Ages kingdoms. I would definitively buy one of these.

Renovate
I have seen variants of this cards very often. I still like this concept and it is absolutely worth to give it a try.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 06:11:35 pm by King Leon »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2016, 08:50:19 pm »

One of these is mine.

Sutler
+1 Card
+1 Action

The obvious use is to gain and play a Ruins, then "trash" the Ruins, effectively making this into a cantrip with a random bonus.  You can also use it as a Village, or use it a limited trasher.  Seems fun, I like it.

Profiteer

Seems extremely weak.  The coin bonus is often worse than Secret Chamber.  Hm.

Witchfinder

I don't like the politics that will crop up from this.  I think this has a lot of the same problems that Saboteur had -- it does nothing for you when you play it, and other players will not like getting their cards trashed.  It hurts a lot more because you'll be revealing something decent pretty often, so this is a bit like Pillage in that respect.  I think overall power-level may be fine, but it just wouldn't be fun.

Vandal
+2 cards.

Sounds a little strong to me, but probably fine.  Not that interesting though.

Ceremonial Sword

I think it would make more sense to phrase this as, "Do both in either other..." but OK.  I don't like that this is a Treasure.  I don't see a reason for it not to be an Action.  Is it only so that it can't count itself?  Otherwise, it's kind of a neat way to trash Copper and mass-gain Spoils.

Counterpart

Gain a Silver to... the top of your deck?  Shuffled in?

I think this is OK, but I wonder how often it'll be used as a Silver-junking attack. :P

Tenant

Landlord
+ 1 Card
+ 1 Action
+ 1 Buy

I think the line on Tenant should be removed, if I'm reading the intent correctly.  Otherwise, the under-line part should clarify the scope, e.g. "at the end of your turn, if you gained four Coppers during your turn..."

I don't really like how closely tied they are; the synergy feels too forced.  You play Tenant, draw big and gain lots of Copper.  You use Landlord to play your Copper as Gold.  It seems to dictate a strategy.  But maybe not, because that obvious use is kind of weak.  Flooding your deck with Copper is bad, and Landlord is only a bandaid, and a temporary one at that.  You may not draw Copper with your Landlord, and your Landlord goes away while the Copper remains.  That said, I can't think of a good use case for this card, other than ones where you actually want to gain all the Copper (read: Gardens).

Iron Maiden

The primary function of this card is to junk, because it's tough to guarantee a specific bonus (though an engine can make this a semi-reliable village).  I think that's fine.  However, I think all that junking is dangerous and unfun.  Early on this is a major Copper-junker, with all the problems that entails.  But this card also distributes Ruins and Curses.  I think the presence of this card all but guarantees a slog, and even strong trashing will have trouble keeping up because there is so much junk to distribute with this card.

Barbarian
+2 Actions

I like this.  Simple and interesting.

Calvary
+1 Card
+1 Action

So this is like Hermit/Madman and Urchin/Mercenary, except it's [any Attack]/Cavalry.  It sounds overpowered at first, but thinking it through it seems OK.  The upgrade cost is pretty steep -- either you green early and hurt your deck, or you get Calvary late when many attacks fall off.  Having to exchange the base attack from your hand is slow as well -- sure you can get a super-Witch, but that means not playing your Witch that shuffle.  The danger of cantrip attacks is mitigated because you can't gain lots of Cavalry without a lot of effort.  Overall I think this could work, though it's weird enough that testing would be needed.  I like it.

Barbarians
+1 Action
Choose one:
---

Weird.  The main effect of this card is below the line, where it enhances each subsequent action card with a bonus.  But it's a double-edged sword because those bonuses are Ruins that clog up your deck, and once Ruins are empty then Barbarians become impotent.  It does come built in with a way to return Ruins to the Supply.  There's also an optional attack to distribute Ruins, which I think over-complicates this card but is probably there for the theme.  That's OK.  Overall, I like it.

Arsonist
+$2

Simple enough.  Seems fine to me, and it's different enough from other cards to be interesting.  I like it.

Junkyard
+1 Card
+1 Action
You may trash this.

I think this does too much.  It's a Cellar with +1 card which is already decent, with an additional option to gain Ruins for extra cards, and another option to trash itself for even more cards.  I think the card would be better without the self-trashing option and on-trash bonus.  Other than that, I think it's worth testing.

Contessa

This lacks cohesion.  Why all the options?  Option 1 seems to be the main thing, where you can gain bigger cards (thanks to cost reduction) but it comes with a Copper.  That sounds good!  Option 2 seems unnecessary, but at least there's some self-synergy there -- you can use it to get the card in play for more cost reduction and get some +Buy to take advantage of that later, without the Copper penalty.  I think it would be fine without that, but it works.  But then option 3 seems totally superfluous and unrelated to the rest of the card.

Uhh, maybe it's a theme of draining VP cards?  I just noticed that the cost-reduction is specific to VP.  So Contessa helps you empty Victory card piles, either through gaining them at cheaper prices or through outright trashing them from the Supply.  Even so, I don't think the option adds much to the card.  Without the trashing, I like it. 

Renovate

Isn't there already a Renovate in the set?  Maybe I'm mixing it up with random fan cards, as this is a popular fan card name.

I think the function of this card is already done better by Transmogrify.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2016, 09:17:37 pm »

Calvary
+1 Card
+1 Action

This is just begging us to look for a case where it's completely abusive.  Hey, how about those cantrip Goons?  Or cantrip Torturer?  I note that you only get one Cavalry per Victory card, so I suppose the net extra cards drawn is zero.

Cantrip Goons would be the same as cantrip Militia except with a way bigger opportunity cost; the VP clause on Goons would not be part of Cavalry since it only copies the instructions.  It's actually in the clarification, which is consistent with how Enchantress works; Goons is probably one of the worst possibilities for this.  I'm thinking through the possibilities and don't think there's anything that seems abusive to me.  The mitigating factor IMO is that you can't play the attack on the turn you exchange it, which is a significant opportunity cost.  Along with the requirement to green early or gain Cavalry late, I think it's reasonable.

Junkyard
+1 Card
+1 Action
You may trash this.

Okay, ignore the ruins, and ignore the on-trash effect.  This is on the level of City Quarter.  In fact, it draws an extra card compared to City quarter, and you get a free Cellar on top of that.  Totally OP.

But you have to discard the cards, so it's not at all on the level of City Quarter...?  Oh, I guess it's because you would get 2 cards for each Action discarded whereas City Quarter gives one card and doesn't discard.  Hmm, that's a fair point, but I feel that City Quarter is better.  Keeping the actions is a little safer and more self-synergistic, and City Quarter is a village to support all the actions.  Maybe Junkyard could warrant a cost increase, but I think it's premature to call it OP.

trivialknot

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2016, 09:48:01 pm »

Re: Cavalry-Goons.  Yes, I was about to correct myself.  This does not work.

Re: Junkyard
Aside from the +2 Actions, I think Junkyard is much stronger than City Quarter, and at a lower price point too.  Sometimes there are useful actions in your hand that you'd like to keep instead of discarding.  But aren't those action cards just as likely to be on top of your deck, perhaps where Junkyard would draw them but City Quarter would not?  City Quarter is so dependent on the luck of your starting hand, whereas Junkyard can just cycle through, caring only about the overall action density in your deck.

Re: Iron Maiden
I agree that this card has a problem in that the junk supply is too deep (ruins, curses, AND copper).  However, I would argue that this problem only arises from coppers, not curses.  In general, Jester does not hand out very many curses, therefore I would not expect Iron Maiden to hand out many either.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2016, 11:57:56 pm »

Re: Iron Maiden
I agree that this card has a problem in that the junk supply is too deep (ruins, curses, AND copper).  However, I would argue that this problem only arises from coppers, not curses.  In general, Jester does not hand out very many curses, therefore I would not expect Iron Maiden to hand out many either.

It's not about Curses in general, but Curses and Ruins are already too much.  And that's without considering the Copper, which are problematic on their own because the size of the Copper pile isn't scaled by number of players.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2016, 03:27:28 pm »

so, uh, is this going to happen?
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2016, 10:40:11 pm »

Oops, voting closed 9 days ago and I forgot to vote.  ;D

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2016, 07:11:00 am »

Renovate, Arsonist, and Iron Maiden all tie for 5th!

mith

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2016, 02:27:39 pm »
+2

Vandal
+2 cards.

Barbarian
+2 Actions

Counterpart

Sutler
+1 Card
+1 Action

Iron Maiden

Arsonist
+$2

Renovate

Submit your votes to me via this forum's messaging system. To vote, give each card a score from 0 to 10. (It is recommended, but not required, that you give at least one card a 0 and at least one card a 10, to maximize your voting input.) The winner will be the card with the highest sum. Feel free to discuss the cards (but not your scores) in this thread.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 Treasure Chest Design Contest - Part 11: Dark Ages (Finalists!)
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2017, 04:09:15 pm »

So, any news on this?

mith

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
Re: 2016 Treasure Chest Design Contest - Part 11: Dark Ages (Finalists!)
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2017, 02:36:05 pm »
+3

Results:

Vandal (LibraryAdventurer) - 61
Barbarian (RobertJ) - 46
Counterpart (NoMoreFun) - 36
Sutler (King Leon) - 36
Arsonist (LostPhoenix) - 23
Renovate (Robz888) - 21
Iron Maiden (Asper) - 7

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 Treasure Chest Design Contest - Part 11: Dark Ages (Results!)
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2017, 02:49:28 pm »
+1

Congrats LA! I'm glad it won because I was planning on mocking it up anyway so this is easier.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2017, 06:42:25 pm »
+1

Yay! 

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2017, 08:41:44 pm »
+3

The art isn't that good, but I enjoy the double entendre.

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2017, 04:31:04 pm »
+1

Is there any chance to continue the contest still in this year?
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 20 queries.