Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: New mechanic I've been thinking on  (Read 3011 times)

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
  • Respect: +971
    • View Profile
New mechanic I've been thinking on
« on: September 18, 2016, 04:18:49 am »
+4

I'm currently thinking about a mechanic that can be maybe fun, but I don't get a chance to playtest it cause I don't play Dominion IRL.

So, here comes the Weather.

Weather is a type of cards that are all different and have only one copy of each. It has a pile but looks more like the Event. At the start of the game if you randomized cards and got the Weather cards you put them on the table with only top opened and it doesn't take place as 1 of 10 kingdom cards. When any Weather is on the table opened it immediately work and affects all the players unless stated. The ending of the Weather pile doesn't affect three-piling. Weather has its own discard pile, so when you discard one, you don't put it in your deck.

Here are my 15 Weather cards. Some of them don't have a name yet, I'm no good at it.

Type – Weather
All Action cards cost $1 less, all Victory cards cost $2 more

Type – Weather
Blood Rain
All attack cards do their attack part twice

Type – Weather
All cards cost one less (but not less than zero)

Type – Weather
Every player takes his -1 Card Token before every turn

Type – Weather
At the start of the turn, every player reveals the top card of his deck. If it is Curse, Victory or Shelter card they put it into their hand. Else, discard it.

Type – Weather
Still
(Nothing here)

Type – Weather
Every player trashes a card at the start of the clean-up

Type – Weather
Victory cards can’t be bought.

Type – Weather
If any player played Silver on his turn, they can’t buy Treasure cards

Type – Weather
At the start of their turn every player may reveal their hand; if it has 3 or more Victory cards: Discard your hand, Draw 6 cards

Type – Weather
At the start of their turn, every player discards a card. If it is an Action card, Draw a card.

Type – Weather
No player can move his tokens, take VP chips or coin tokens.

Type – Weather
If any player trashes a card, it is set aside. Next turn they put it into their hand.

Type – Weather
In the start of their turn any player names a card and look at the top card of their deck. If it is the named card trash it and gain a card costing exactly the same cost. Every other player discards the named card or reveal his hand with no such cards.

What do you guys think about idea in general and cards themselves? What can be upgraded here?
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Re: New mechanic I've been thinking on
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 12:20:32 pm »
+1

"Do their attack part twice" doesn't work as a wording. Attack cards don't have "attack parts" and "non-attack parts". They just have a bunch of different effects, some of them are on average harmful to opponents. Even though we can intuitively make a good guess as which part is the attack part, it can't be clearly quantified.

Also, for several attacks, it would have no effect.. Pillage, Militia, etc.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2016, 12:24:30 pm »

The overall idea seems neat. I wouldn't make them cards though... they act much more like Landmarks than Kingdom Cards. They probably should just be a new random variant where you can include them in the game or not. Kingdom cards are part of the supply and can be bought and gained.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2016, 12:30:48 pm »

You could easily have a game where you only have the same 1 weather the whole game. What if there's no +buy in the kingdom? Then no one will ever buy 3 or more cards.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2016, 01:09:57 pm »

You could easily have a game where you only have the same 1 weather the whole game. What if there's no +buy in the kingdom? Then no one will ever buy 3 or more cards.

Yeah, I thought about it in the first place, and tried to make changing effect work in every game. Though I see that it can really be possible in rare cases to have one weather the whole game. Maybe that will be interesting too.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2016, 01:10:32 pm »

Thing is, I can't playtest cards, I don't play Dominion IRL. So if anyone will be willing to test them, I'd read your thoughts.

tristan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +193
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2016, 06:17:14 pm »

I play with such classical events but yours are so much better, not at least due the discard thingy that makes them stay in play for a non-fixed period.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2016, 09:44:26 am »

I play with such classical events but yours are so much better, not at least due the discard thingy that makes them stay in play for a non-fixed period.

Can you playtest them?

tristan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +193
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2016, 04:00:10 pm »

Just like with Landmarks playtesting is not that relevant as costs are absent so it is more of a "is this card fun and interesting" kind of thing. I also would have to come up with card names, art and so on and I am Dominion wise too busy to test my own cards.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2016, 06:32:08 pm »
+3

Just like with Landmarks playtesting is not that relevant as costs are absent so it is more of a "is this card fun and interesting" kind of thing.

Playtesting is how you determine whether something is fun and interesting.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2016, 12:11:16 pm »

I'll mock all of these up for anyone who's interested. I have a lot of projects going on so they will all be the same art with the name "weather".
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2016, 12:25:49 pm »

It's an interesting idea, but I would remove those that possibly create bad situations.

For example, suppose you are in a sea hag-ghost ship slog with no trashing and you draw the 'no victory cards can be bought' weather card that requires people to have higher than $10. Well, at that point, it's basically game over for the guy who has the least amount of VP points at that moment. Or the weather card tht doesn't get discard until you have 3 buys.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.257 seconds with 20 queries.