Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Let's Discuss Landmarks: Wall  (Read 3730 times)

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5158
    • View Profile
Let's Discuss Landmarks: Wall
« on: September 17, 2016, 05:54:05 pm »
+7

I think Donald Trump just wants to build a wall because he has such a small hand size.

It's the landmark that will probably cause you to get the most negative points on average! Because 15 cards is not a lot. Nothing but a Golden Deck and maybe something like Chapel/Treasure Map/BM can win with only 15 cards in the deck.

So basically every card you buy is also a Curse. How do you plan around that? BM is somewhat better with this, since you won't gain as many cards per turn. Or you could build your intricate engine and then try to trash down before the game ends. There could even be trashing megaturns with KC'd Chapels or something, in the right kingdom. Donate is of course very neat for this, but remember you can't actually end the game on Donate. The most viable option is probably Bonfire - you get to play all your actions, and then hopefully have enough buying power to trash them all.

Other thoughts: Junking gets clearly better, as if that was necessary. An kind of low-impact card is suddenly very unattractive, you don't want any of these forgettable cantrips. It's probably a boost to Events, which can do stuff without adding cards to your deck. VP tokens are also a clear winner.

I predict that this will be the Landmark that the community will need the longest to figure out how to play.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

mameluke

• Duke
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Discuss Landmarks: Wall
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 07:15:47 pm »

At least you can track this one more easily, especially online -- just check how many cards your opponent has after a reshuffle. That's the only important thing here, it's fine to win with negative points as long as your opponent has more negative points. That said, better to go for a strategy that doesn't require some many dang cards, or have a killer trashing megaturn to end it, like with Procession (where there aren't any 6s, e.g.) or Counterfeit.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2016, 02:38:34 am »

I think I'll buy less Silvers.

If I hit an unlucky $3 or $4 after I bought the first one I already start thinking: Do I really need more?
Now there's less incentive to get more.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5158
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2016, 04:27:29 am »
+1

You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

tailred

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: ceviri
  • Respect: +368
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2016, 08:08:59 am »

Haven't had the chance to play with this yet, but it seems like a sloggy board with this would be absolute terror.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4442
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2016, 09:24:49 am »
+1

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1384
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2016, 09:31:06 am »
+1

Edge case: Fortress.

ETA: even edgier case: Feodum.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2017, 06:39:46 pm »

If you have the chance to Trash cards end game, then that's pretty much free points!

I need to remember that getting a card out of your deck, like via Native Village, Island, Tavern mat, etc. isn't the same thing because those cards will go right back into your deck for the purposes of deck size!

Also, buying an Estate is meaningless, as Wall cancels out the 1pt it's worth.  In a game with Bonfire, with $11 and 2 buys, it was better to buy out the last Province, and Bonfire 2 cards in play (a Silver and Gold at that) than the usual Province + Estate!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 01:25:23 am by ackmondual »
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 21 queries.