Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Let's Discuss Landmarks: Triumphal Arch  (Read 2926 times)

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
Let's Discuss Landmarks: Triumphal Arch
« on: September 16, 2016, 06:04:29 pm »
+3

Waiting for someone to make a fan card called Tie.

In a similar vein as tower, this card empowers 2-card combos. But this works only with two Action cards. So think Native Village/Brigde rather than Ironworks/Gardens. And, certainly, engines engines engines. We have seen that Bandit Fort makes BM terribly bad, but when you think about it, the point swing from this in an engine vs BM game is almost as bad.

And it's another card that requires lots of tracking to play well. You need the number of your own and your opponent's top two most common Actions (sometimes even the top 3).

There is a comparison to Palace to be made, because this wants you to collect sets of 2. It is in that regard more powerful than Palace, and more flexible as you may choose which cards to collect, but a bit limited. Outside of weird edge cases, this will never score more than 30 VP, and that's already rather unrealistic.

Some interesting cards to interact with this, in no particular order: Rats, Stonemason, Scyring Pool, Ironworks.
The interaction with Triumph is unfortunately rather limited.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 04:25:49 am by faust »
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

jomini

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +766
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Discuss Landmarks: Triumphal Arch
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 08:51:26 pm »

I believe the limit is actually 60 VP and could actually be setup in a crazy game with everyone playing competitively  (Amb game in 4er or higher, Inherit the Estates - say with an opening Death cart, then later drawing the whole deck - say with turning Estates into Spice Merchants, and finally piling out with two Rats in hand and an empty draw deck).

The big thing that Triumphal arch changes is the end game. Cheap $2 actions will very quickly become more valuable than Duchies if you are massing only one action (e.g. Hparty). +Buys become much more valuable and we should expect a number of games to experience uncommon things like a Pearl Diver rush. Paying $4/2 buys for 3 VP is well worth it for stocking up on $2 cantrips. In general, being able to mass gains actions is almost as important as with Vineyards - Kc/Transmute can suddenly become something like a 15 VP swing on the final turn without too much fuss. Likewise, a rush to empty two action piles for spaceless VP means you will often be very close to end game so I could see some games playing out more like Igg than traditional province setups (play a gainer, buy something for $5; repeat).

Another big winning card here is Talisman. Just a few Talisman can quickly setup some big action gain turns and hit pretty high action & VP counts. Peasant games will go crazy a lot more with a big winner determined earlier and the potential to tank the deck late game for some stop card like Woodcutters for VP.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 11:46:18 pm »
+2

Waiting for someone to make a fan card called Tie.
This reminds me of game where I played Menagerie and had a Duplicate in hand.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 02:21:05 pm »

Note that this also includes non-Supply cards, like Madmen and Warriors.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 20 queries.