Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: IsoDom 3 Round 1  (Read 21348 times)

Mean Mr Mustard

• Witch
  • First to 5000 Isotropic wins
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
IsoDom 3 Round 1
« on: January 31, 2012, 12:03:09 am »
+1

Congratulations to everyone who qualified!  Please have your round 1 matches completed by noon on Tuesday, February 7. Report the results to this thread.  As a reminder, all rounds are best of seven, with a preselected Kingdom to be played in the first game.  This week's Kingdom, submitted by shark_bait (nice job!) and approved by the community (thanks for that!) will be:

Torturer, Merchant Ship, Moneylender, Caravan, Familiar, Watchtower, Steward, University, Embargo, Hamlet

Again, if anyone has any issues please let me know as soon as possible.

<u><b>Round 1 Match-Ups</b></u>

North:
<b>1. Fabian</b>
vs.
8. Mad Mergus

4. Robz888
vs.
<b>5. Volkmar</b>

<b>2. michaeljb</b>
vs.
7. Marcus316

<b>3. Lespeutere</b>
vs.
6. A_S00

South:
<b>1. RisingJaguar</b>
vs.
8 FerrousWheel

4. KristianBahle
vs.
<b>5. Lekkit</b>

<b>2. Olneyce</b>
vs.
7. Young Nick

<b>3. shark_bait</b>
vs.
6. Kirian

East:
<b>1. Geronimoo</b>
vs.
8. ccasin

<b>4. greatexpectations</b>
vs.
5. DG

2. Smartie
vs.
<b>7. rspeer</b>

3. tlloyd
vs.
<b>6. Mad Max</b>

West:
<b>1. Rabid</b>
vs.
8. Yuma

<b>4. PSUmvp</b>
vs.
5. Dr Hades

2. PerdHapley
vs.
<b>7. Dubdubdubdub</b>

3. Captain Frisk
vs.
<b>6. JanErik</b>

« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 02:42:18 am by Mean Mr Mustard »
Jake <a href=http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/17/game-20120317-030206-6456f97c.html>opening: opening: Silver / Jack of All Trades</a>
<b>IsoDom1 Winner:  shark_bait
IsoDom2 Winner: Rabid
Isodom3 Winner: Fabian</b>
Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalie ar Atanatári, Utúlie'n auré!

Young Nick

• Minion
  • Respect: +274
    • View Profile
Re: IsoDom 3 Round 1
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 12:47:54 am »

Am I (Young Nick) the 7 seed in the South division? I am currently not listed and Young Witch (easy mistake) is in my place.

A_S00

• Spy
  • Respect: +41
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 12:59:51 am »
+3

For ease of copy+pasting into isotropic:

Torturer, Merchant Ship, Moneylender, Caravan, Familiar, Watchtower, Steward, University, Embargo, Hamlet

(I'm super lazy and now you can be too!)

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
  • Respect: +542
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 02:04:15 am »
+2

Fabian beats Mad Mergus 4-2

Game 1 Fabian 42 - 25 Mergus
I guess it's a good idea to not comment on this as others will play it.

Game 2 Fabian 61 - 62 Mergus
Bridge/Fool's Gold mirror which turns into a Governor game. I thought I had it won on the final turn when I bought/gained Colony+Province+Duchy+Estate, but he had two cards to trash for Duchy/Silk Road, giving him a narrow win.

Game 3 Fabian 36 - 24 Mergus
Horse Traders/Duke and some other stuff. It's possible I overload on terminals in the early/midgame, but it's not a big deal when you can discard them to Horse Traders and the like.

Game 4 Fabian 60 - 38 Mergus
We both open Laboratory/Embargo, and I get a huge advantage when I can buy a Militia and then Embargo it, as it's pretty much the only interesting card in the kingdom. He buys one anyway the next turn, which gives me a pretty huge lead, with the tie-breaker (no +buy or other ways to gain the tempo back) and a worse deck throughout the game. King's Court looks shiny but doesn't do much when all the support cards are crap, and it more or less turns into two solitaire games of getting to $11. I manage pretty comfortably.

Game 5 Fabian 29 - 46 Mergus
I get super crushed by some very nicely spaced Embassies. His Black Market opener is kinda awkward, but it ends up not mattering the slightest as he cruises to Province on pretty much every turn.

Game 6 Fabian 22 - 17 Mergus
I feel like I'm in bad shape early on when I get lots of $4 instead of $5 and Mergus gets a big IGG lead. I'm not really sure how it turned around, somehow my Remakes made some good things happen I guess. It comes down to the Duchy and Estate piles both being low with me leading slightly on points, and Mergus can't trash his Curses and/or get to Province before it's over.

Thanks for the games Mergus!

Mergus

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 02:18:57 am »
+1

Thank you two. It was fun!

olneyce

• 2011 DS Champion
  • Respect: +210
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 02:28:29 am »

I thought we wanted comments on the shared game.  I was going to post on it tomorrow.  Should I not?

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9412
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 02:40:42 am »

Is there some reason each set of 4 seeds between 17 and 28 weren't reversed as would be normal?  For example, you have (5) olneyce vs. (25) Young Nick instead of (5) vs (28) Marcus316.  You have 5-25, 6-26, 7-27, 8-28 (and similarly for the 9-12 vs. 21-24, and 13-16 vs. 17-20 brackets).
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Mean Mr Mustard

• Witch
  • First to 5000 Isotropic wins
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 03:19:36 am »

@ Young Nick: thanks, fixed.

@ A_S00: thanks, I will format that way.  Good idear.

@ Fabian: Comment, please.  It's the point of this exercise, I think.

@ Mergus: Thanks for being a third-time Isodom'r, and a great sport.

@ Kirian: I seeded this tourney by putting all of the weakest of each seed into the overall first seed's bracket, second weakest with #2, etc.  I did it that way because incorrectly seeding tournaments is kinda an Isodom tradition. 8)
Jake <a href=http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/17/game-20120317-030206-6456f97c.html>opening: opening: Silver / Jack of All Trades</a>
<b>IsoDom1 Winner:  shark_bait
IsoDom2 Winner: Rabid
Isodom3 Winner: Fabian</b>
Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalie ar Atanatári, Utúlie'n auré!

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 03:51:56 am »

@Mergus: Why do you always get paired with swedes in the first round?

lespeutere

• 2012 German Champion
  • Respect: +390
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 04:58:29 am »

I feel like I'm in bad shape early on when I get lots of $4 instead of $5 and Mergus gets a big IGG lead. I'm not really sure how it turned around, somehow my Remakes made some good things happen I guess. It comes down to the Duchy and Estate piles both being low with me leading slightly on points, and Mergus can't trash his Curses and/or get to Province before it's over.

I'm not sure whether this is the right place to put this. Anyways: I think one obvious difference is Mergus gaining coppers with IGG every time possible, even when he gets to 6 with it buying another IGG. I've seen Wandering Winder doing this in a video (semifinals or 3rd place match of the DS tournament, I think) and win. So I did it as well last time and lost. Mergus does it and loses here. When do you choose to gain coppers, when not (apart from gardens games, obviously, or with lots of philosopher's stones - which btw WW did not have in the game he won, if I remember correctly)?

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2012, 08:35:35 am »

What are the odds. I played Rabid in the first round of last tournament and got superbly spanked 4-0. Hopefully I can at least win a game this time.

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9412
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2012, 08:45:00 am »

@ Kirian: ...I did it that way because incorrectly seeding tournaments is kinda an Isodom tradition. 8)

lol.  Sounds good.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4384
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2012, 09:20:44 am »

I'm not sure whether this is the right place to put this. Anyways: I think one obvious difference is Mergus gaining coppers with IGG every time possible, even when he gets to 6 with it buying another IGG. I've seen Wandering Winder doing this in a video (semifinals or 3rd place match of the DS tournament, I think) and win. So I did it as well last time and lost. Mergus does it and loses here. When do you choose to gain coppers, when not (apart from gardens games, obviously, or with lots of philosopher's stones - which btw WW did not have in the game he won, if I remember correctly)?

I've probably done it a bit too much. Short answer which isn't helpful is 'it depends'. Medium answer is that you don't want to do it until the IGGs are almost out in a pure rush. Longer answer is that it depends on what else (besides the IGGs) is in your deck. Fewer terminals = fewer coppers, you want to play those cards more. But if you take more coppers, you can safely take more terminals too. So there's a balancing act.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2012, 11:43:05 am »

If you can recover your deck you probably don't want to take the coppers. In that kingdom there was the remake and courtyard that could push you back towards province buying (although in fact the simulator likes a dumb courtyard/igg/duchy rush).

PSUmvp

• Coppersmith
  • Shuffle iT Username: MVP
  • Respect: +28
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2012, 02:28:50 pm »
+1

PSUmvp vs DrHades: PSUmvp wins 4-3.

Epic match, very balanced.  I got two hail mary wins in games 3 and 7.  Fun match, I was outplayed by DrHades, but got lucky on the end game draws.

DrHades 37 - 29  http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201201/31/game-20120131-103058-279c7c44.html

PSUmvp 33 - 9 http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201201/31/game-20120131-104039-952f3226.html
lookout to thin the deck, Horse Traders to gather peddlers and Grand market + throne room to hammer it home

PSUmvp 41 - 40 http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201201/31/game-20120131-104639-4035bc13.html
Boring game with no power cards, general straight money.  End game dancing with prov stack down to 2.  Lucky end with jester hitting an estate for a 1 point victory

DrHades 34 - 22 http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201201/31/game-20120131-105757-b1892e61.html
IGG, end game , duchies ran out while PSUmvp was down, unable to claw back in...  probably didnt take enough treasure

PSUmvp 33 - 20 http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201201/31/game-20120131-110751-f4f2f62b.html
Double tacitian cycle with Swindler Moneylender & minion.  Embargo end game on duchies

DrHades 49 - 41 http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201201/31/game-20120131-111616-67d5a617.html
Tunnel cycle with horse traders, LOTS OF GOLD for DrHades

PSUmvp 39 - 38 http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201201/31/game-20120131-112419-e2497810.html
Talisman + highway to enable a stables cycle to get to possession.  Miracle end game with crappy draws by DrHades and key possessions to steal provinces. 23 to 1 run over the last 4 turns

DrHades

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +79
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2012, 02:57:18 pm »
+1

PSUmvp vs DrHades: PSUmvp wins 4-3.

Epic match, very balanced.  I got two hail mary wins in games 3 and 7.  Fun match, I was outplayed by DrHades, but got lucky on the end game draws.

I agree that it was epic, balanced and fun match. I disagree that I outplayed you  ;D

DrHades 37 - 29  http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201201/31/game-20120131-103058-279c7c44.html

I think my strategy was a bit better here, but let's not spoil it since others will play it.

PSUmvp 33 - 9 http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201201/31/game-20120131-104039-952f3226.html
lookout to thin the deck, Horse Traders to gather peddlers and Grand market + throne room to hammer it home

CRUSHED!!!!!!! I was seriously embarrassed after this game. PSUmvp was a bit lucky with Throne Rooms not missing, but still, he was better by a class (or 3) here...

PSUmvp 41 - 40 http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201201/31/game-20120131-104639-4035bc13.html
Boring game with no power cards, general straight money.  End game dancing with prov stack down to 2.  Lucky end with jester hitting an estate for a 1 point victory

Mirror, lady luck was with PSUmvp this time. Nothing really interesting here...

DrHades 34 - 22 http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201201/31/game-20120131-105757-b1892e61.html
IGG, end game , duchies ran out while PSUmvp was down, unable to claw back in...  probably didnt take enough treasure

Very interesting game. I thought that this was going to be an IGG rush mirror, but PSUmvp tried to build an Alchemist engine. That was very good idea I think, but he missed to buy some treasures somewhere...and then again - if he bought them, he wouldn't have so good engine running, so my choice to go for stupid IGG-Develop rush was probably a good choice after all.

PSUmvp 33 - 20 http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201201/31/game-20120131-110751-f4f2f62b.html
Double tacitian cycle with Swindler Moneylender & minion.  Embargo end game on duchies

CRUSHED!!!!!!! For the second time in the match, PSUmvp build a very nice engine that I didn't see.

DrHades 49 - 41 http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201201/31/game-20120131-111616-67d5a617.html
Tunnel cycle with horse traders, LOTS OF GOLD for DrHades

Ok, so I am down 2-3 and need to win both the games. I see Tunnel is on the board. I don't like Tunnel. But for some reasons, I know how to play it (I have the highest "win rate when available" rating with Tunnel). I think the main difference between our strategies here was that I wanted the Tunnels before they are gone, so I bought a lots of them very quickly. That gave me more Golds and also 8 point lead. The endgame was pretty exicitng, but I think I deserved to win this one (maybe PSUmvp should try to break the PPR somewhere).

PSUmvp 39 - 38 http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201201/31/game-20120131-112419-e2497810.html
Talisman + highway to enable a stables cycle to get to possession.  Miracle end game with crappy draws by DrHades and key possessions to steal provinces. 23 to 1 run over the last 4 turns

Not sure how Highway+Talisman stands on this board, but I think pure BM+Stables(+Merchant ship) might have upper hand. PSUmvp risked buying a potion for Possession, so I was greening a bit faster. Then he had just a terrible luck (then again - I think he was pretty unlucky in the begging since it took him a very long time to make the engine running):

What I bought on my last 3 turns: Estate, Trade Route, nothing.
What PSUmvp bought when I was Possessed: Duchy, Tunnel, Province.

And I need to add that he could have bought Duchy instead of Tunnel, but didn't want to play my Merchant Ship  ;D

ABOUT THE MATCH IN GENERAL:

I played bad. I was really nervous so I didn't want to make any mistake. Therefore I was looking for BM-ish decks rather than for engines. This costed me game 2 and 5 where PSUmvp totally crushed me. I won games 1, 4 and 6 by choosing a little better strategy, game 3 was a coinflip and game 7? I don't know...PSUmvp had a really good idea that didn't work out and then just a Possession MEGAluck...hard to say whether the game was a coinflip or whether I was pretty unlucky.

Hopefully, I will take my lesson from this match and return to building engines more often (I was an engine builder, but this forum and my own experiences changed my game a LOT)...

Thanks, PSUmvp, it was a pleasure playing with you.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4384
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2012, 03:06:05 pm »

Pretty sure you should see it as BM/Merchant Ship with Stables rather than BM/Stables with Merchant Ship. Those two cards don't actually work really well together though.

Also, I would seriously, seriously consider some slight variation on Oracle/BM in game 3. I also don't really understand why you guys both grabbed lighthouse on turn 1.

But overall, a very interesting set of games.

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
  • Respect: +542
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2012, 04:33:09 pm »
+1

Figured it'd be boring to talk about it before people had actually played, and that it would be better suited for after most matches were done. Anyway here are my pre-game thoughts on the game 1 kingdom: (haven't read other logs or other posts on it, so apologies if I repeat stuff)

I quickly discarded a strategy based around Torturer as not being good enough unless it was paired with University, as Hamlet/Torturer didn't feel particularly exciting, and Embargo would murder that strategy anyway. I then discarded University/Torturer for being too slow compared to Familiar, but a fine alternative if you stumble on the turn you draw your Potion. It's not like University can't gain other things too if preferred. Embargo killed the Torturer chain, and seemed like it would be able to force a Potion buyer into going University anyway, while ignoring the Torturer yourself while stocking up on Hamlets and Watchtowers (which counters both sides of Torturer). To sum up, I felt like this game would not be decided by curses if one or both opponents went for Embargo given the other player opened Potion.

What's left is some pretty sweet engine-like cards (Hamlet/Watchtower is fun, definitely), some good trashing, Merchant Ship which is kinda sweet when you can attempt stacking them, etc. My plan prior to the game started was to block Familar with Embargo, and otherwise try building a solid engine deck with a Steward, a few Watchtower (a few turns in, anyway), Hamlets, perhaps Caravans if necessary, eventually Merchant Ships, perhaps a Torturer or two if it seemed good. It's not like all these cards don't work well'ish together.

What then happened in the game was we opened 5/2, and most of my planning went out the window. Luckily, my opponent went first and opened Torturer, which clearly signaled he was on the Torturer/Hamlet plan. This was, I felt, good news for me, as I could go for Familiar while blocking his curse giving capabilites rather well, with Embargo and later Watchtower. Merchant Ship/Embargo is a sweet opening in this situation imo, I then grab Potion intending to get Familiars. I didn't want to open Potion/Embargo for fear of him getting an Embargo on his turn 2 and shutting down my Familiar plan.

Things go pretty much according to plan after that, he gets some University/Torturer stuff going but it's too late and the deck isn't focused enough to do any real damage, as it has Curses and cards that don't help that plan, and the Curse pile is already half depleted bla bla etc. Plus Watchtower is a sweet counter, anyway. I win the curse war 5-2 (I took two rather than discard cards as I had a double Familiar/Province turn coming and I felt my deck could easily handle two Curses), and control the game pretty well I think.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 04:37:46 pm by Fabian »

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +532
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2012, 07:10:27 pm »
+1

I've spent a lot of time thinking about the predetermined set today, which is weird as I'm not playing it. Anyhow here's my thoughts, a lot of what Fabian said, I'll spoiler it so people don't have to read it if they don't want to. Feel free to rip into the opinions expressed here.

I was playing under the assumption that this game would end on a three pile, though it's possible that analysis is wrong, it didn't for Fabian's game, though that game went 28 turns so I imagine it could have, if someone had wanted it to. On a 4/3 I'd probably open Potion/Watchtower and on a 5/2 Potion/Embargo

Embargo: Wow, this card has a lot of mileage on this board. So many diverging strategies for this card that it's very likely that some piles will be Embargoed. If you're going for Potion cost cards and your opponent isn't your opponent will probably Embargo some of them (but they can't Embargo both Familiar and University before you get a chance at one unless you get a P-C-E-E-E hand or they open Embargo/Embargo), whichever one you get they both seem worth it in this game. If the opponent Embargoes the Universities before you get one I would strongly consider buying through it at some point. You'll be too slow trying to switch out of Potion mode without it and Universities are a much better source of actions than Hamlets. If you're forgoing Potion and your opponent is not they'll probably Embargo the Torturers so that they can gain them with Universities and you can't. One important thing to remember is that if you have a Watchtower in your hand you can buy through the Embargo, trash the Curse and top deck the card. Other likely candidates for Embargoes are Duchy (if someone tries to pick them up in a three pile before Curses are out, Province if someone plans to three pile on Duchies and wants to slow their opponent down and Gold if someone goes for Big Money). Watchtowers are another good candidate for an Embargo especially if you expect to stay ahead in the Curse war (ie. if you are already ahead and want to keep it that way).
Torturer: A likely candidate for +Draw in an engine and possibly what should be bought on a 5/2 split, despite Watchtower being on the board. Torturer chains can be set up via Hamlets or more likely Universities, pretty straightforward though they lose all their oomph once the Curse pile runs out. Watchtower might actually be superior drawers when combined with Hamlets in the late game and are excellent counters to Torturers ("Yes I will discard my Estates and then draw up to 6." or if I only have good cards in my hand I can just trash the incoming Curse.) Despite preferring it in a 5/2 split investing heavily into it may be a trap depending on your opponents Watchtower purchases.
Merchant Ship: A great source of money whatever the strategy. Helps smooth your economy which if you're on the bad end of the Curse war you might need reliable money more than Gold spikes. Good target for Universities if you feel like you have enough card draw in your deck via Watchtower or Torturers. A Big Money player might consider Embargoing this if their opponent had no Universities, but I don't think this board lends itself to straight Big Money.
Moneylender: A useful first turn card card if you're not going the Potion route on a 4/3 split. That's probably a bit of trap though.
Caravan: Helpful card usually, but doesn't work well with Watchtower. Might be useful to open with a Steward to try and line the Steward up with two Estates and still buy something, doesn't seem amazing in this Kingdom, but one or two won't hurt any deck. Popular card that could end up running out the pile if both players go for them.
Familiar: The elephant in the room, this card can't be ignored, even with all the other engine possibilities out there, this card can shut them down. If you want to go for them you should consider opening Potion/Watchtower or Potion/Embargo over Potion/Silver (As neither card will hurt your chance at getting a Familiar but open you up to other non-typical strategies). If you'd rather shut them out of the game you need to Embargo them asap, bearing in mind that if the other player misses the Familiar they aren't out of the game as they can fall back on Universities, which you may need to also want to consider Embargoing. If neither player goes for Potions on the first round you may want to Embargo the Familiars anyways just to stop the other player from switching into them later and mounting a Familiar fueled rally.
Watchtower: I suspect this board was designed around Watchtower as so many cards interact with it. Hamlet can ditch cards from your hand for Actions and the majority of cards on this board can be played from your hand without replacing themselves. It acts as a counter to all attacks on this board and its normal abilities are much more useful than they would be on the average board. A good card to pick up a few of if your opponent invests heavily in Torturers. You can even buy up Curses and trash them if you have extra buys from a Hamlet. Personally I'd consider this a key card in any game on this board.
Steward: The heaviest trasher in the game, but you'll need your Coppers in the early game for purchasing engine components. It'll be nice to clear out your Estates and Curses, but I doubt this card is fast enough with the other possibilities on this board. Might be a useful late game purchase if you can draw large portions of your deck to clear out the Curses in it, which can help you break a tie.
University: One of two possible cards that is going to make an Engine possible here. Likely things worth picking up with University are Torturer, Merchant Ship, Caravan, Watchtower. This all depends on the actual engine you're building and there's still a lot to think about here. University is a key card for getting around Embargoed piles and a key card for helping work towards a three pile ending.
Hamlet: The other key engine card in the deck, a good source of actions and a source of buys. It's better at helping you pick up points than a University though maybe not at getting to a point in the game where you want to pick up points. If the game three piles than this card will be key in picking up Duchy/Duchy or Province/X and can be used to gain Duchy/X if that helps you end the game.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 07:29:19 pm by Jorbles »

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2012, 11:42:31 pm »

Sadly for me, Volkmar has defeated Robz888 4-3, with 1 tie. I will post the logs when they become available on Council Room.

Eight absolutely crazy games, some of them long and painful. A Minion-Ambassador-Tournament war in game 4 was particularly interesting.

Bad luck may have gotten the best of me in the tie-breaking game, but I played poorly enough in games 1 and 2 that I don't begrudge the result whatsoever. My opponent played very well, had some innovative thinking that sure paid off, and I wish him the best in the rest of the tournament.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

JanErik

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2012, 12:48:18 pm »
+1

I won 4-0 against the Captain.

Game 1
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201202/01/game-20120201-093349-51be9fd3.html

We both went different openings. I went for a big money approach with Familiar and Steward and he tried some kind of University, Torturer, Hamlet, Watchtower engine. We both made mistakes during the game (I discarded to Torturer with no Curses left), but in the end I was lucky enough to hit 8 at the right times.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201202/01/game-20120201-092114-0783f2a2.html

Game 2  Great Hall, King's Court, Native Village, Possession, Potion, Remodel, Salvager, Thief, Tribute, Tunnel, and Workshop

Game 2 had a very easy Big Money Kingdom, I went BM + Salvager and mixed one Tribute and a Posession in. (Tribute because of Great Hall) The Captain managed to miss 2 reshuffles with his potion and was not able to buy a possesion, I also posessed one of his best possible hands. He tired some KC Tribute stuff, but it did not work, because he got really unlucky this game.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201202/01/game-20120201-093349-51be9fd3.html

Game 3 Cache, Duke, Embargo, Forge, Great Hall, Mandarin, Menagerie, Noble Brigand, Oasis, and Warehouse

This game was very interesting. I went Mandarin/Duchy/Duke despite Embargos on the board against his normal Province plan. I was able to grab 7 Duchies, so even the Embargoes Dukes where no problem and I was able to take a comfortable lead.

The Captain then decided to concede the last Game of the series, giving me the 4-0 sweep.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2012, 12:53:58 pm »
+1

The Captain then decided to concede the last Game of the series, giving me the 4-0 sweep.

Yeah, I was swamped with real life responsibility and made the mistake of trying to play and work at the same time.  Never again in a tournament setting!  I acknowledge the forfeit of the last game... no trickery on Jan's part.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2012, 09:23:19 pm »
+1

Lekkit defeats KristianBahle [ Skill ] 4-2

Game 1 - 20-26

I was somewhat half-commitedly building a University/Hamlet/Watchtower engine. Bahle did this much better than me and really deserved the win here. I think I had a small window where I would've won if I could've ended the game, but since I couldn't it doesn't really matter.

Game 2 - 44-31

I was considering going for a Pool-deck, but I thought that it could be countered somewhat by an opponent going for a lot of Embassies. I'm not sure if it was due to that I won, or if the Embassy/Tunnel is faster. I'm not that good at engine-building, and that was another reason why I didn't go for it.

Game 3 - 31-39

Wharf-game. Not much fancy stuff going on. We put our decks togheter a bit differently, but basically they were the same. I'm not sure if breaking PPR was the right thing to do in the end. Allthough It didn't matter since Bahle would've won anyway.

Game 4 - 45-32

I was just going for Witch/Hoard and get a lot of greens and golds to counteract the curses. Worked enough for me to get a lead and being able to end the game on piles.

Game 5 - 56-55

Witch/Lighthouse vs Bishop/Silver. I thought I would win easily. Bahle played good and got his defenses up early and managed to get a lot of VPs. Both from chips and from Harems. Managed to sneak a win with my last hand with a little help from the point tracker.

Game 6 - 11-Resign

Bahle got the 5/2 split and I capitalized on it going for double Ambassadors into Fishing Village/Margrave/Conspirators. I got a feeling this game was over after the second reshuffle.

Thanks to KristianBahle [ Skill ] for a nice set of games! I enjoyed them a lot.

Volkmar

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2012, 10:14:39 pm »
+1

As Robz888 said, Volkmar beats him 4-3. Here are the games with my commentary (be prepared to laugh at me if you go through the logs, I played horribly :P).

Game 1, Volkmar 35 - 28 Robz888
http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120131-190942-62be629c.html
Caravan, Embargo, Familiar, Hamlet, Merchant Ship, Moneylender, Potion, Steward, Torturer, University, and Watchtower
I didn't really look at the board before the game. Somehow I just didn't see Watchtower, it's not a card I buy a lot, so the possibility just went past me. When he bought his first one I didn't want to go with Familiar, so I tried to trash down quickly and build a small Hamlet/Torturer engine with enough gold, using the Torturer mostly for the draw, the attack was just a bonus and helped me run out the curses. In the end my tight deck helped me get rid of curses, but I'm still not really sure how I won this.

Game 2, Volkmar 42 - 30 Robz888
http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120131-191936-925a832e.html
Ambassador, Cache, Farmland, Inn, King's Court, Quarry, Royal Seal, Salvager, Tunnel, and Worker's Village
We both opened Ambassador, but even with King's Court there wasn't a lot of engine potential. Instead I figured there'd be a flood of Copper anyway, so I went with Cache. I made a few mistakes, but I think my extra 'golds' won me this pretty straightforward BM game.

Game 3, Volkmar 28 - 33 Robz888
http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120131-192445-0d3de260.html
Caravan, Fairgrounds, Fortune Teller, Harvest, Island, Mining Village, Native Village, Philosopher's Stone, Potion, Smithy, and Stables
Another pretty simple game. I got very lucky with a turn 3 gold and a turn 5 province. In retrospect I'm not sure if I should've gone for another gold, because now I sort of panicked and crashed.

Game 4, Volkmar 36 - 48 Robz888
http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120131-194429-3ccc1f3b.html
Ambassador, Bishop, Fool's Gold, Minion, Native Village, Remake, Saboteur, Scout, Tournament, and Venture
I did not like this board, as it has a few of my most hated cards. I tried to get a quick Minion deck going, to get a Province and use NV to get the prizes. That worked, though it all took forever while Robz was greening and eventually got a Bishop .

Game 5, Volkmar 21 - 38 Robz888
http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120131-195325-d70e780f.html
Apothecary, Apprentice, Cartographer, Expand, Explorer, Fishing Village, Inn, Potion, Salvager, Spice Merchant, and Upgrade
Apprentice game where I tried to be cute and Expand my $5's into provinces. That of course got stomped by Apprentice/money with a single Expand to keep momentum by Robz.

Game 6, Volkmar 51 - 46 Robz888
http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120131-200723-1db0eeed.html
Duke, Expand, Fortune Teller, Ironworks, Monument, Nobles, Oasis, Saboteur, Steward, and Torturer
We both built a Torturer/Nobles engine, but I think my early trashing with Steward and taking fewer curses won me the game. Buying a curse for the 3pile was fun too.

Game 7, Volkmar 36 - 36 Robz888
http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120131-201616-3dbd2c15.html
Alchemist, Develop, Great Hall, Haven, Library, Potion, Secret Chamber, Smithy, Village, Vineyard, and Worker's Village
A draw in the last game, it just can't get any closer. I still feel like I should've lost this one. I went Alchemist/BM. I saw the Alchemist/Worker's Village/Smithy/Vineyard thing, but when I got the chance to take an early gold I decided to try and outrace that. In the end I was just able to take the draw, but if the game went on any longer I would've been toast.

Game 8, Volkmar 40 - 29 Robz888
http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120131-203643-0ad1a2e7.html
Adventurer, Feast, Fool's Gold, Ghost Ship, Masquerade, Outpost, Potion, Scrying Pool, Trade Route, University, and Workshop
I wasn't playing great, probably because we started at 4 AM my time, and maybe I was a little nervous, but this game was just horrible, one of my worst ever. I opened Potion/Masq, going for a University/Scrying Pool deck with Ghost Ship. Of course there weren't any +actions besides University, and no cantrips besides the Pools. He kinda did the same thing so after 12 turns we both have decks that look like the ones you build in your very first game of Dominion. I then decided to dive into Fool's Gold, and he pretty much had to follow. I tried using Trade Route to get rid of a few terminals, and even got an Adventurer to go with the FG, but in the end it was just a mess where I somehow ended up coming out first. If I'd get to play this again I'd just go Masq/FG or Trade Route/FG.

Thanks to Robz for being a great guy to play against, some of the most fun and tense games of Dominion I've ever played.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 10:19:08 pm by Volkmar »

Ferrouswheel

• Baron
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2012, 10:18:04 pm »

RisingJaguar wins the first game in the match, but a certain family member managed to break the CD drive on my work computer and I had to leave to go fix it, we're resuming out matches tomorrow.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 20 queries.