Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Summon Bugs  (Read 4791 times)

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
Summon Bugs
« on: September 16, 2016, 04:56:57 am »

Since I don't feel like going to the MF forums, I will just post this here. I have come across two bugs with Summon.

The first bug happens if you Summon Death Cart, while you do gain DC and the Ruins, DC is not set aside.

The second bug happens if you summon Duplicate. Duplicate is not set aside and then put on your tavern mat the following turn. I don't know if this happens for other Reserve cards as well.

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
Re: Summon Bugs
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 05:08:20 am »
+5

Since I don't feel like going to the MF forums, I will just post this here. I have come across two bugs with Summon.

The first bug happens if you Summon Death Cart, while you do gain DC and the Ruins, DC is not set aside.
This is not a bug, it's just a bit confusing that they don't tell you what happens. Because the ruins end up on top of the Death Cart, Summon loses track of it.
Same thing would happen to Border Village.

The second bug happens if you summon Duplicate. Duplicate is not set aside and then put on your tavern mat the following turn. I don't know if this happens for other Reserve cards as well.
That actually does sound like a bug.
Join the Dominion League!

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 01:26:16 pm »

This is not a bug, it's just a bit confusing that they don't tell you what happens. Because the ruins end up on top of the Death Cart, Summon loses track of it.

I see. I thought with Death Cart, you could choose which gain effect happens first, choosing to set it aside and then gain the ruins.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2016, 02:14:45 pm »
+1

I see. I thought with Death Cart, you could choose which gain effect happens first, choosing to set it aside and then gain the ruins.

Setting it aside is not a when-gain trigger. It's a separate sentence on the Summon card, that happens after gain effects are resolved. That's why lose track comes into play here.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

gkrieg13

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
  • Respect: +463
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2016, 02:53:22 pm »
+5

This is really a spoiler for the newest expansion where summoning Bugs every turn pretty much ensures you win the game. They play a little bit like knights (not all bugs are the same) but you gain them like rats. I thought the concept was just ok, but Donald decided to go with it anyway

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1606
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2016, 03:06:05 pm »
+2

Edge case: you Summon Border Village, gaining Nomad Camp. Nomad Camp goes directly to the top of your deck, so Border Village is never covered up and does get played next turn successfully.

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2016, 03:09:00 pm »

Edge case: you Summon Border Village, gaining Nomad Camp. Nomad Camp goes directly to the top of your deck, so Border Village is never covered up and does get played next turn successfully.
Would watchtower work?

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1606
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2016, 04:33:58 pm »
+1

Would watchtower work?

No, Nomad Camp is special in that it does not "visit" the discard pile when gained. All stuff that reacts to gaining like Watchtower, Royal Seal, etc. does it after the card has been gained and is already in the discard pile. Villa also visits the discard pile, as I found out when I asked what happens when you Summon a Villa directly:

If I Summon a Villa, what happens? I am guessing this:

I gain Villa, which goes directly to my hand upon being gained, similar to Nomad Camp's ability.
I get +1 Action and return to my Action phase.
Summon tries to set Villa aside, looking for it in my hand.
At this point, I am not sure what should happen. On the one hand, maybe it succeeds, because even though my hand is not public information, everyone knows there is a Villa in my hand, and I am allowed to see all cards in my hand, so I can find it.
On the other hand, maybe it fails, because my hand is not public information, and in theory there could be some other ability that might trigger and cause me to discard or something, so in the interest of simplicity we consider it to immediately be lost track of when it enters my hand.

Edit: Actually, this seems similar to the situation where I Mine, say, Copper to Silver, and then reveal Watchtower to trash that Silver. We can do that, yes? In that case the Summon should succeed.
Nomad Camp specifically makes its wording an exception in the Hinterlands rulebook; Villa does not. So Villa goes to your discard pile and then moves to your hand, thus Summon loses track.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2016, 05:06:14 pm »
+3

Please, please don't summon any bugs.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2016, 02:49:04 pm »
+3

I cast Summon Bigger Fish.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2016, 03:08:35 pm »

I cast Summon Bigger Fish.

There needs to be a card called "bigger fish" so we can summon it.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2016, 08:43:19 pm »
+2

Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2016, 02:05:36 pm »
+5

This title is really out of date, the current templating should be "Creature - Bugs".
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12848
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2016, 02:34:27 pm »

This title is really out of date, the current templating should be "Creature - Bugs".

FTFY

Also, it would probably be Insect instead.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2016, 10:38:38 am »

FTFY

Also, it would probably be Insect instead.

While I knew that "bugs" would be a really weird creature type over "bug" or "insect", I hadn't realized that the old wording did use plurals in some places where the new wording was singular.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.777 seconds with 20 queries.