Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Never Give Up! Never Surrender!  (Read 2251 times)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
Never Give Up! Never Surrender!
« on: September 15, 2016, 06:20:58 pm »
+9

Code: [Select]
Trade, Herbalist, Vagrant, Swindler, Urchin, Fortress, Mining Village, Bazaar, Haunted Woods, Outpost, Venture

http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?https://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20160915/log.0.1473971713021.txt

Man, Urchin/Swindler would be an awesome opening here, right?  So it kinda sucks to get 2/5.  Well, hey, I can grab Haunted Woods at least, that's not a bad attack.

---------- grumpf: turn 3 ----------
grumpf - plays Swindler
Kirian - reveals Haunted Woods
Kirian - trashes Haunted Woods
Kirian - gains Duchy

Oh.

I almost resigned then and there.  My deck is now Shelters, 7 Copper, Duchy, and... Vagrant.  But my opponent didn't open Urchin/Swindler.  They opened Fortress/Swindler.  So I wouldn't be subjected to Mercenary attacks from them for at least a short while.  So I decided not to surrender.  And hey:

---------- Kirian: turn 6 ----------
Kirian - plays Urchin
Kirian - draws Copper
grumpf - discards Overgrown Estate
Kirian - plays Urchin
Kirian - trashes Urchin
Kirian - gains Mercenary
Kirian - draws Swindler
Kirian - plays Swindler
Kirian - trashes Urchin
Kirian - gains Mercenary

Takeaways other than "don't give up":

Mercenary-Fortress is awesome.  In Mercenary games, you often run out of fuel to attack with.  Instead, trash two Fortresses!  Ideally after playing a village.

Fortress is a partial defense against Swindler, especially when the only other $4 in the game isn't bad at all.  You get a six-card hand, and the opponent is forced to give you another Fortress or something else approximately as good.

Outpost-Haunted Woods is a neat combo as well.  Now your Outpost turn starts with 6 cards!  Of course, you want to play another HW during that turn, otherwise your opponent won't be affected by the attack.

Yep, sometimes you still buy Herbalist for a ridiculous price.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
Re: Never Give Up! Never Surrender!
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 08:54:07 am »
+1

Fortress is like almost a hard counter to Swindler, except you have to get a bit lucky. But I certainly wouldn't go for Swindler if Fortress were on the board at all. I think double Urchin was better than Urchin/Swindler here.

On 2/5, Vagrant/Haunted Woods looks best, so I think you made the right call. Without the insane Swindler luck by your opponent on T3, you could have had an extra chance for Urchin to collide with HW later on, plus HW is always a rock star. Vagrant is also pretty okay on this board, with the limited trashing; it gives you an extra chance to hit $5 with one or two junk cards in hand, especially if your opponent does go Swindler.
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 12:39:06 pm »

Urchin isn't limited trashing.

Well, okay, Mercenary is pretty strong trashing actually. But it does take a while to get going, especially if you don't buy an Urchin on the first shuffle. Until you start trashing, Vagrant is pretty useful.
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2016, 01:52:32 pm »
+2

I'm going to assume any +1s are from my fellow Galaxy Quest fans.  By Grabthar's Hammer!
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2016, 02:45:08 pm »
+1

I'm going to assume any +1s are from my fellow Galaxy Quest fans.  By Grabthar's Hammer!

Actually, I +1'd because it annoys me when people are loosing and they resign, so I think it's cool you kept playing.
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.097 seconds with 20 queries.