Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Let's Discuss Landmarks: Tower  (Read 2702 times)

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5161
    • View Profile
Let's Discuss Landmarks: Tower
« on: September 15, 2016, 06:18:42 pm »
+2

Sorry about the delay. Some annoying cultists and their overlord have occupied my tower and I had to clean them out.

Three-pile endings give you a headache? Then expect to get all green in the face additionally, with the advent of Tower! Now you not only have to align your gains, money and buys in the best possible way, no, you simultaneously have to track how many cards from each supply pile each player has. Have fun!

Aside from such shenenigans, Tower will be most interesting in non-mirror games. It's a big Rush card; Ironworks/Gardens for instance gets a decent boost from this. Combo stuff like Hermit/Market Square gets better too. Anything really that has you depleting piles all by yourself. You probably shouldn't ignore Magpies and Ports now, should you?

It's sad that it doesn't really have any significant combo with Watchtower. But well, you can't have everything I guess.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Discuss Landmarks: Tower
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 06:29:20 pm »

Interesting, one of the better Landmarks. Requires even more skill and memorization, and hey, that's good, right?
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 06:41:48 pm »

cultist-bm suddenly become, like, a mediocre bm in bm mirrors. beggar-gardens gets a lot more interesting.
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 09:35:00 pm »
+1

cultist-bm suddenly become, like, a mediocre bm in bm mirrors. beggar-gardens gets a lot more interesting.

Just drain the Cultist pile all the way. You know you wanted to anyway, now you have an excuse. I guess the Ruins give your opponent VP and all that, but it's probably a wash in a mirror; whomever has more Cultists has less Ruins cancelling Tower points, but they also have a lot more Provinces...
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Erick648

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +629
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2016, 10:14:20 pm »
+2

Also, cursers will usually give out Confusions instead.  Relatedly, if you have a lot of buys, buying out the Curses for a three-pile in a non-curser game no longer costs you 10 points (and finishing them off in a curser game can actually gain you points if you were losing the curse split).

This can also lead to some interesting tactics with Ambassador: on your last turn, refill a pile your opponent has a lot of. Of course, this only works if you have two copies of the card in question in your hand (or your opponent has Lighthouse or Champion out), so I see it coming up more in puzzles than in actual games.

Another interesting interaction is with Rats.  With Tower, a deck with all of the Rats is worth 20 points, which could lead to a rush strategy with the right support.  Again, I'm not sure how often this will actually be viable, but it's interesting to consider (and pretty funny flavor-wise).
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 10:16:34 pm by Erick648 »
Duplicate duplicates Duplicates duplicate Duplicates duplicate.

Rene Descartes taught me to believe in myself.

How much Loot could a Looter loot if a Looter could loot Loot?

jomini

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +768
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2016, 10:51:22 pm »
+3

The real crazy thing is when you can pile the Golds, Silvers or the Coppers.

Silver is actually easier to pile than copper:
Masterpiece, you can pretty easily empty the silvers if you overbuy by 2, 2, 3, and then 5 x 7. 15 or so turns to ~40 Points AND being a province per turn after that is pretty insanely good. An astute opponent will deny masterpiece buys AND not deplete the pile ... but that is likely a 12 VP swing for giving up a province and you can be more selective (particularly if you want till $6 to start overbuying).

Raid can also churn pretty hard, pretty quickly, particularly with trashing, sifting, or terminal draw to jump start. Averaging 3.5 Silvers per turn is only about 14 turns and you attack your opponent every turn.

Trader - much harder but a few setups can work out well, most notably the Tr family and Peddler as a 2.7 ish card combo. Burning 5 Peddlers is a huge pile of VP and reliable buying power. A 2.3ish card combo is Trader/Feodum which is more reliable and flexible. Trader and Embargo is challenging, but can setup a fast enough payout to win on some boards.

Page is not completely reliable, but you can stockpile Thunters until your opponent gains a large number of cards and then pile for 40 VP.

Generic Silver gainers need to be played 40 times (give or take) and while possible, this is less commonly viable. A few shots that might work are:
Kc/[Scheme or Scav]/Silver gainer (B-crat is fun).
Kc/Cost reduction/+buy (high efficiency like Squire or multiples)
Procession/Trash diving/+buy

Gold gainers are limited, but you can actually gain the lot in one turn with a big Kc chain (e.g. Kc/Explorers)/

Copper, well more VP are possible but it is harder to churn that many gains before game end. Obvious candidates are Beggar, Cache,  Sqr, Tfair and Banquet.

Banqueting for copper is going to take 20 turns and that is far too long. Banquet for something with +gains (e.g. Market) might drop that a little bit, but most often you will want a lot of synergy.

Beggars need to be played 20 times and that is just far to long.

Tfair is generating 120 $ and is far too slow along.

Cache will run out long before you make a dent.

That said, you can line up a few select combos for huge cash. Chouse/Tfair should just go for coppers with tower out. Herbalist/Pstone/Tfair may also generate enough cash to buy down the copper.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2016, 02:36:31 am »

Get all the Curses!

If you're losing the Curse split 5-4, you could think about getting the last one to turn -5 vs -4 into +6 vs +4 for 1 VP net gain.
Likewise, an opponent might be hesitant to give you the last one.

The extra worthless card in your deck still hurts of course.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 02:38:30 am by Davio »

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2016, 12:51:50 pm »

Actually you only need to get 46 coppers in 2p because 14 are already gone.
15 and a third begger plays can do this but you can also buy coppers.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 20 queries.