Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Generic Tilting/Playing Poorly  (Read 4923 times)

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +558
    • View Profile
Generic Tilting/Playing Poorly
« on: September 15, 2016, 12:12:02 pm »

So I'm sure that I could get some general help about this from a psychology of competition text, but I figured given the specific area some people might have some tips.

About 2 months ago I feel I was playing my best Dominion - having begun to play regularly online I was definitely improving and pushing my way up.

In the last couple of weeks I'm falling flat on my face.  I don't seem to be able to analyse boards correctly any more, I'm losing focus and generally getting very irritated at how poorly I'm playing.  I haven't started totally bombing in the rankings yet, but my overall level of play is definitely dropping and I'm getting increasingly annoyed with myself, which in itself is hardly conducive to good play.  This is both in League play and in random games.

I'm sure plenty of people here have experienced this sort of tilting at some point or another.  Any advice would be very gratefully received.
Do I just need to play more, try not to get frustrated, and push through it?  Or would people recommend that I take a bit of a break (obviously I'll still have to play my League matches but other than that) and try to freshen up?

Of course there are specific things I can work on, but fortunately (or unfortunately, perhaps, since I end up beating myself up about things) my ability to recognise the big mistakes I'm making AFTER the game has not gone away.
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
  • Respect: +971
    • View Profile
Re: Generic Tilting/Playing Poorly
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 12:23:27 pm »
+1

Yeah, I had this one once. That time two things helped me:
1) rereading strategy articles
2) playing a lot with one guy, who liked to tell me if I made really terrible mistake or didn't see the interaction from the start.

Find someone who'll be playing with you and listen to his opinion on your play. He's not always right but it generally helps you understand something on your own. Like Sherlock who needed Watson for this :)
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 02:00:23 pm »
+4

My advice is to stop the League, which only ever ends up making you play Dominion games at times that aren't really convenient for you. I think that naturally leads to underperforming.

Also don't play while frustrated. In m opinion, even if you win in that state of mind, you won't be able to appreciate it.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 03:13:09 pm »
+13

Put a rubber duck next to your computer and tell him what you're about to do and why you're doing it.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2016, 04:49:13 pm »
+5

Try doing some other thinking activity for a few days instead of Dominion to sharpen the mind again, even something like a crossword or sudoko will do, and then see if you've turned off the Dominion auto-pilot.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2016, 05:17:24 pm »
+1

Try doing some other thinking activity for a few days instead of Dominion to sharpen the mind again, even something like a crossword or sudoko will do, and then see if you've turned off the Dominion auto-pilot.

This. I recommend sporcle and revisiting classic games you liked/maybe doing a challenge run of them.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2016, 08:27:17 am »
+1

My advice is to stop the League, which only ever ends up making you play Dominion games at times that aren't really convenient for you. I think that naturally leads to underperforming.

This advice is excellent. I did that some time ago and I haven't regretted it at all.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2016, 09:34:20 am »
+3

Hey, you should definitely only play in the league if you are enjoying it, but I have to defend it at least a little here.

When I was playing matches in the league, I was able to schedule most of them at a time that was convenient to me, and based on what I see from players scheduling matches, it seems to be the case for most players. If your schedule is very restricted, then perhaps the league isn't for you. We do the best we can to minimize major timezone conflicts in each group.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2016, 09:37:01 am »
+2

I never play too seriously.

I mean, I try to win, but I don't need to win. I don't look at my ranking much, just sometimes out of curiosity.
I play when I have time and I'm in the mood and at other times I play other video games or watch a movie, etc.

Dominion is just a small part of my spare time.

But there were moments when this wasn't the case and I just took a long time off.
In fact, I only came back recently after they switched to the much cheaper subscription payment model.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2016, 09:57:19 am »

I play better in the League than I do in normal games I think; just against harder opponents. Though I definitely get less lucky :)

There's definitely a peak where you want to play a certain amount every day / week to stay good and get better, but if you exceed it you burn yourself out and need a short break to end your plateau. Maybe you're there now?
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2016, 11:13:16 am »
+2

I love the League. It is like playing sports for me. But yes, it can be hard to maintain.

At any rate, there are a vast number of things you can do. I would recommend not playing Dominion for a week, and doing some other hobby instead. You will come back fresh.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +558
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2016, 12:46:49 pm »
+1

+1s for everyone.
I'm gonna go through and respond to everyone's advice individually so that you're thanked if I take your advice or understand why I don't if you somehow realise that I haven't. :P

Yeah, I had this one once. That time two things helped me:
1) rereading strategy articles
2) playing a lot with one guy, who liked to tell me if I made really terrible mistake or didn't see the interaction from the start.

Find someone who'll be playing with you and listen to his opinion on your play. He's not always right but it generally helps you understand something on your own. Like Sherlock who needed Watson for this :)
Interesting. 
1) I would definitely do if I had time.
2) I probably just can't do.  Would be nice though.

Also don't play while frustrated. In m opinion, even if you win in that state of mind, you won't be able to appreciate it.

This advice is excellent. I did that some time ago and I haven't regretted it at all.

Hey, you should definitely only play in the league if you are enjoying it, but I have to defend it at least a little here.

When I was playing matches in the league, I was able to schedule most of them at a time that was convenient to me, and based on what I see from players scheduling matches, it seems to be the case for most players. If your schedule is very restricted, then perhaps the league isn't for you. We do the best we can to minimize major timezone conflicts in each group.
Hmmm.  League-wise, weirdly my first season where I was playing with a bunch of Americans suited me really well cos I could just play super-late at night, which I like a lot.  More recent seasons I've been much busier and more tired, so maybe that's not helping.  My play quality probably hasn't dropped as much in the League as in general play, though, cos I'm more conscious that I need to focus.  But I've definitely considered stopping the League, I'm just hoping my schedule unbusies soon so I don't have to.  In spite of recent losses (haven't won a match for more than a season) I'm still liking the structure overall.

Put a rubber duck next to your computer and tell him what you're about to do and why you're doing it.
I don't know why this didn't occur to me - I interned with a software development company for a while and they gave everyone ducks for us to use to help us debug code with this method.  I still have it on my windowsill.  Will definitely be doing this.

This. I recommend sporcle and revisiting classic games you liked/maybe doing a challenge run of them.
:D My "job" is nothing but thinking.  Maybe this is why I'm struggling so much.  Thinked-out. :P

I never play too seriously.

I mean, I try to win, but I don't need to win. I don't look at my ranking much, just sometimes out of curiosity.
I play when I have time and I'm in the mood and at other times I play other video games or watch a movie, etc.

Dominion is just a small part of my spare time.

But there were moments when this wasn't the case and I just took a long time off.
In fact, I only came back recently after they switched to the much cheaper subscription payment model.
I'm a VERY competitive person.  Which doesn't help much.  I'm constantly monitoring my ranking and etc.  I think I'd have to take a pretty long break to get out the habit.  Maybe I should do that.  At least miss a League season or something.

I play better in the League than I do in normal games I think; just against harder opponents. Though I definitely get less lucky :)

There's definitely a peak where you want to play a certain amount every day / week to stay good and get better, but if you exceed it you burn yourself out and need a short break to end your plateau. Maybe you're there now?
I used to play way better in the league than normal play.  Now I think I still play a little better, but not much.
I think a big problem I have is binge-play.  If I could play just one game a day that would be fine, but I literally don't have the time some days and lots of time other days, so it comes in batches, which I think isn't good.  Sounds like taking a break in general is the general gist from lots of people, which I kind of expected, might do that after this League season.

I love the League. It is like playing sports for me. But yes, it can be hard to maintain.

At any rate, there are a vast number of things you can do. I would recommend not playing Dominion for a week, and doing some other hobby instead. You will come back fresh.
So many hobbies, so little time.  I probably need more than a week of not playing, but the general idea is one I agree with.
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2016, 08:29:27 pm »

I don't know about everyone else, but I stopped playing the League mainly due to not having the time to play Dominion at a steady pace anymore. Playing Dominion sporadically might just make you feel worse about yourself and the game when you tilt.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 21 queries.