Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10  All

Author Topic: All the Fan Cards You Could Ever Want! (Almost 400+ Cards!)  (Read 78461 times)

volfied

• Scout
  • Shuffle iT Username: volfied
  • Respect: +21
    • View Profile
Re: All the Fan Cards You Could Ever Want! (Almost 400+ Cards!)
« Reply #200 on: February 10, 2018, 12:54:36 pm »
+2

Thank you all for the input. Here are the updated cards. I'm not sure they address everyone's concerns perfectly, but they are certainly all improvements. Robber Baron and Crop Rotation didn't make the cut. Particular thanks (and co-creation credit) to Gazbag for his Ash concept, which I have implemented. Any additional thoughts?

« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 04:04:38 pm by volfied »

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: February 10, 2018, 04:44:42 pm »
+1

Since forfeiting 1 Action makes Occupied Village effectively +1 Card, +1 Action, and +$1, isn't it strictly better than Poacher?
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

volfied

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: February 10, 2018, 05:52:14 pm »
+1

You’re right, of course. I’m not as experienced with the second edition cards, so that escaped my notice. I’m not quite sure what the right course of action is. Clearly, I could raise the cost to 5, possibly adding some additional minor benefit.

What do people think of Poacher, though? It seems quite weak for a $4 card. Now, if you agree with Rinkworks that the distinction between $3 and $4 cost cards should be less about absolute value and more about early game balance, maybe that means that the “strictly superior” test isn’t as useful for cards with those costs. I’d be interested in hearing arguments, either way.

Holunder9

• Jester
  • Respect: +380
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: February 11, 2018, 05:20:26 am »
+1

Phoenix-Ashes is now too similar to Vampire-Bats in reverse order for my taste. If you wanna avoid pile-driving you could use the exchange wording.

What do people think of Poacher, though? It seems quite weak for a $4 card. Now, if you agree with Rinkworks that the distinction between $3 and $4 cost cards should be less about absolute value and more about early game balance, maybe that means that the “strictly superior” test isn’t as useful for cards with those costs. I’d be interested in hearing arguments, either way.
Poacher isn't particularly weak or strong. Due to the existence of all kinds of Peddler variants everybody guessed, before it existed, that a pure Peddler would be roughly balanced at $4. So I guess that Poacher would have been OK without the 'late game transformation into an Oasis' thing. But DXV probably didn't want to make a too vanilla-ish card, hence Poacher as it is.
But as Poacher exists, you really shouldn't create a card that is nearly always (Tunnel is a border case in which an Oasis-Poacher becomes good) strictly better than Poacher at a cost of $4.

volfied

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 11, 2018, 08:09:41 am »
+1

Fair enough. Let's try this version of Occupied Village. My worry is that it might be a little powerful.

I see your point about Vampire/Bats. I own Nocturne, but have not had much of a chance to play with it, so the depth of the similarities escaped my notice. I'm rather taken with the current arrangement, though, and don't want to make especially dramatic changes to it. I've implemented the exchange wording, as you suggested, along with a slight tweak to Ashes.

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: February 11, 2018, 09:40:26 am »
+1

Phoenix-Ashes is now too similar to Vampire-Bats in reverse order for my taste. If you wanna avoid pile-driving you could use the exchange wording.
I don't see the pile-driving problem, since Phoenix is gained from the trash. In any case I don't think it's very similar to Vampire/Bats. The only similarity (except for the one-turns-into-the-other thing) is the trashing from hand.

It seems pretty strong though. I would guess it's more balanced without the newest change of +1 action on Ashes.

Slight wording correction on Occupied Village: You need to specify putting cards from hand. Unlike discarding, putting cards on your deck doesn't have a default source location.

volfied

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: February 11, 2018, 11:34:19 am »
+1

Apart from the possibility of having another card that gains from the trash, how does the earlier wording avoid pile-driving? Perhaps some subtlety I’m missing.

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: February 11, 2018, 12:55:56 pm »
+1

Apart from the possibility of having another card that gains from the trash, how does the earlier wording avoid pile-driving? Perhaps some subtlety I’m missing.

Maybe I'm missing it. What pile is it that was being pile-drived? If it's $4 cost cards you're talking about, isn't it the same now?

volfied

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: February 11, 2018, 02:29:54 pm »
+1

Didn’t he mean Phoenix, itself?

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: February 12, 2018, 02:04:26 am »
+1

Sorry, I missed that Ashes gains Phoenix from the trash so pile-driving is less of an issue.
By the way, I didn't want to imply that this is bad, it is definitely thematic. You just have to ask yourself whether you are fine with the possibility of Ashes being empties and all the trash-interactions (e.g. Lurker, Rogue, Graverobber) that occur with strong one-shots.

volfied

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: February 12, 2018, 09:01:42 am »
+1

I think I can live with that. I’ll fix the wording on Occupied Village, revert Phoenix/Ashes and add these to my print run, then. Thank you, all.

volfied

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: February 12, 2018, 05:11:17 pm »
+1

Just in case you wanted to include any of these in the top post, ThetaSigma12 (no hard feelings, if not), here are the final versions:

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: February 12, 2018, 05:47:26 pm »

I don't know if I'll ever come back to this. I'd like too, but it's becoming a little too big to handle updates. But if I do ever update it, I will make a point of including your cards. Thank you!
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: February 14, 2018, 01:52:59 am »
+2

I think that Occupied Village is still nearly as weak as the first version. A village that is worse than Village unless there are other villages in the Kingdom yet more expensive seems like a dubious idea.
Topdecking cards is useful if you have too many terminals (but then you'd rather transfer them into the next turn via Haven or Gear) or for cards that care about the top card of your deck like Lookout or Vassal.

+1 Card
+1 Action

You may topdeck a card.

This is what the card will mostly be in the absence of other villages. Might be an OKish $2 but it is weaker than Haven.

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1003
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: February 14, 2018, 11:15:27 am »
+1

I think that Occupied Village is still nearly as weak as the first version. A village that is worse than Village unless there are other villages in the Kingdom yet more expensive seems like a dubious idea.
Topdecking cards is useful if you have too many terminals (but then you'd rather transfer them into the next turn via Haven or Gear) or for cards that care about the top card of your deck like Lookout or Vassal.

+1 Card
+1 Action

You may topdeck a card.

This is what the card will mostly be in the absence of other villages. Might be an OKish $2 but it is weaker than Haven.

In absence of other Villages it'll probably be used as a Necropolis, but yeah it is a little weak for $4. I actually think if you drop the topdecking part it would be at a fine strength for a $2. It's essentially a +2 Cards/ +2 Actions/ +1 Card +1 Action split card which can also turn Villages into Labs.

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: February 14, 2018, 12:59:23 pm »
+1

+1 Card
+1 Action

You may topdeck a card.

In absence of other Villages it'll probably be used as a Necropolis, but yeah it is a little weak for $4. I actually think if you drop the topdecking part it would be at a fine strength for a $2. It's essentially a +2 Cards/ +2 Actions/ +1 Card +1 Action split card which can also turn Villages into Labs.
That's a good point, Village + Moat leads to the same as Village + Occupied Village. So this is a weak engine support card that is only good because it is flexible. It might be a bit better than some other $2 cantrips but not good enough to justify a price of $3.

Gazbag

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: February 14, 2018, 01:10:16 pm »
+1

+1 Card
+1 Action

You may topdeck a card.

That's a good point, Village + Moat leads to the same as Village + Occupied Village. So this is a weak engine support card that is only good because it is flexible. It might be a bit better than some other $2 cantrips but not good enough to justify a price of $3.

I mean Moat and Faithful Hound are completely fine cards, +2 Cards is pretty deece and Occupied Village's flexibility seems way more useful than the reactions.

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: February 14, 2018, 01:26:00 pm »
+1

+1 Card
+1 Action

You may topdeck a card.

I mean Moat and Faithful Hound are completely fine cards, +2 Cards is pretty deece and Occupied Village's flexibility seems way more useful than the reactions.
Of course the flexibility of Occupied Village is the only thing that makes the card work but I disagree about it being way stronger than the reactions of Moat and Hound. Defending againt attacks is often important and Faithful Hound becomes a virtual Smithy if there is discard-for-benefit in the Kingdom.

Gazbag

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: February 14, 2018, 01:43:48 pm »
+1

+1 Card
+1 Action

You may topdeck a card.

Of course the flexibility of Occupied Village is the only thing that makes the card work but I disagree about it being way stronger than the reactions of Moat and Hound. Defending againt attacks is often important and Faithful Hound becomes a virtual Smithy if there is discard-for-benefit in the Kingdom.

Maybe the fact that we can have this disagreement means that it's an interesting card?

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: February 14, 2018, 01:49:17 pm »
+2

Maybe the fact that we can have this disagreement means that it's an interesting card?
Indeed. I like Intrigue so give me a choice card any day. 8)

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
  • DSF lowest ratio upvotes-posts 14 yrs & counting
  • Respect: +228
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: September 09, 2018, 10:57:25 pm »
+2

wow so many of these are really cool.  I could play a game with just these cards lol.
"Rap game Julio Franco, Chuck Norris, Texas Ranger/ Ice on my fingers look like I slap-boxed a penguin." -- Riff Raff Proverbs 4:20

"Sometimes I say some things people may think are just outlandish, but I'm going to have the last laugh." -- Riff Raff  Exodus 6:66

BlastFurnace

• Herbalist
  • Shuffle iT Username: BlastFurnace
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 03, 2018, 11:06:23 am »
+1

Where does all the art come from for all these cards? Do the original creators provide it?

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: October 03, 2018, 12:46:09 pm »

Where does all the art come from for all these cards? Do the original creators provide it?

Most of it was found on deviantart or via google image searches. I didn't ask for the creator's consent, but some of it is public domain, and generally, we just use it either way.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

LittleFish

• Tactician
  • Respect: +188
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: December 17, 2018, 04:02:44 pm »

Paranormal Investigator
- Action Attack
Choose one: Each other player gains a Curse; or every player reveals their hand, discards all revealed curses. You get +2 per Curse revealed

LittleFish

• Tactician
  • Respect: +188
    • View Profile
Re: All the Fan Cards you could ever want! (300+ Images!)
« Reply #224 on: December 17, 2018, 04:14:39 pm »

Here are some other fan cards remade as Supplements:

The cards should be curses not hexes. hexes would go in the hex pile so it wouldn't work.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 04:15:51 pm by LittleFish »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10  All

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 21 queries.