Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10  All

Author Topic: All the Fan Cards You Could Ever Want! (Almost 400+ Cards!)  (Read 78480 times)

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
Re: All the Fan Cards you could ever want! (300+ Images!)
« Reply #100 on: January 17, 2017, 08:20:13 pm »
+3

I'm sorry to be the guy who complains about a new idea again, but most of these can be implemented as normal cards if you are willing to accept minor changes to their functionality.

• Oriental Market: Forum.                     Changes:Works with cost reduction, can be bought several times a turn. (Is in the supply)
  • Reconstruction: Costs 5$, gains a differently named card costing at most the same on gain.                     Changes: Works with cost reduction (Is in the supply)
  • Captain's Quarters: "If this is your first buy this turn, +1 Buy and chose a card. When you discard it from play this turn, put it onto your deck."                     Changes: None (except being in the supply).
  • Joust: Make the addon pile have a specific cost, make this cost 1$ more than that and have it gain the other card on buy.                     Changes: Cost of the addon-card is fix. (Is in the supply)
  • Misfortune: Just remove the type.                     Changes: None.
  • Illusion: Duchess.                     Changes: None.
  • Paramesia: Duchess.                     Changes: None.
    Alternatively, instead of a card, make an once-per-turn Event that costs 0$, returns its buy, lets you trash all Curses in your hand and discard pile and gives each other player +2VP per Curse trashed.

Not exactly minor changes:
  • Deed: Duchess.                     Changes: Gaining becomes optional.
    Alternatively, have a special Deed token to put on the Province pile as a reminder.                     Changes: None.

No ideas for:
  • Hold
  • Scholar

Edit: I noticed Reconstruction is supposed to work on gain, not buy. I'll change it up a bit.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 08:24:08 pm by Asper »

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 17, 2017, 08:29:07 pm »
+3

Yep, it's OK, I realized that:
-Oriental Market: Yeah, but you can still gain it then. That's the big difference. Also, I don't want more than once per turn.
-Reconstruction: Did you miss the or more? That's a difference.
-Joust: Yes, but I feel that implementation is a bit less streamlined.
-Misfortune: Yep, this one just uses the type to be simpler.
-Paramnesia: The designer (MultiTalented) wanted these to be optional rules, and that's what they are.
-Deed: yeah, I'm not entirely sure if it's good as a supplement.
-Hold: A tricky litter bugger.
-Scholar: This is from Greed, so it obvious it can work as a card.
All in all, these are really meant to be extra "rules" to swap up the game.

Thanks for being "the guy who complains about new ideas"! It's good feedback.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

navical

• Golem
  • Respect: +268
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 18, 2017, 02:20:54 am »
+1

I kind of feel that the Supplements are complex enough that they'd be better off as Kingdom cards that just aren't in the Supply rather than making it feel like an 11, 12, 13... card Kingdom.

weety4

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +50
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 18, 2017, 03:00:28 am »
+1

I'm sorry to be the guy who complains about a new idea again, but most of these can be implemented as normal cards if you are willing to accept minor changes to their functionality.

• Oriental Market: Forum.                     Changes:Works with cost reduction, can be bought several times a turn. (Is in the supply)
I'll just comment on one, Oriental Market. Your suggestion works totally different. You get the extra Buy when you buy a particular card like Forum whereas the original Oriental Market is a triple Market Square that lands in your deck when you have 5 unspent.
This is mechanically totally different and while I would totally agree that it should first be tested whether a new concept is really necessary it doesn't seem as if Supplements can be done any other way

Kingreaper

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +49
    • View Profile
    • Artemis Games
« Reply #104 on: January 18, 2017, 07:55:40 am »
+1

Illusion and Paramnesia don't work as regular cards not because of their rules but because they'd be literally worthless kingdom cards.

Duchess is a weak 2-coster, but it's still a 2-coster, and therefore might get bought (especially if there's a surfeit of villages). You've still got a 10-card kingdom.

Illusion means you've got a 9 card kingdom instantly.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 18, 2017, 12:33:38 pm »
+1

I'll just comment on one, Oriental Market. Your suggestion works totally different. You get the extra Buy when you buy a particular card like Forum whereas the original Oriental Market is a triple Market Square that lands in your deck when you have 5 unspent.
This is mechanically totally different and while I would totally agree that it should first be tested whether a new concept is really necessary it doesn't seem as if Supplements can be done any other way
I felt it was obvious that when I wrote "Forum", my suggestion was to use Forum's wording, having Oriental Market look like this:
Code: [Select]
Oriental Market, Action, 5$
Unchanged bonus on play.
---
When you buy this, +1 Buy
Maybe it wasn't as obvious to you.

In case you still disagree, I will make an effort to tell you why this wording does exactly (edit: well, almost) the same as having it be a Supplement:
Supplement-case: I have 8$ to spend and a buy. I buy Silver. Now I have 5$ unspent. I gain Oriental Market.
Kingdom card case: I have 8$ to spend and a buy. I buy Oriental Market for 5$, get back my buy and have 3$ left, buying a Silver.

So, where's the difference? All the others work pretty much the same way. It's pretty trivial imo.

Illusion and Paramnesia don't work as regular cards not because of their rules but because they'd be literally worthless kingdom cards.

Duchess is a weak 2-coster, but it's still a 2-coster, and therefore might get bought (especially if there's a surfeit of villages). You've still got a 10-card kingdom.

Illusion means you've got a 9 card kingdom instantly.
Using the Duchess wording doesn't necessarily mean it has to be a kingdom card, though, does it?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 12:35:46 pm by Asper »

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 18, 2017, 12:46:45 pm »

Forum Market
-------

Supplement Market
-------
When you have unspent, you may gain this.

Here are the 2 big differences.
-You can get more than one Forum Market per turn. You could fix this with some once per turn clause or so, but ick. It would be hard to make it watertight enough.
-You can gain Forum Markets. This is also big. The point is you have to have extra , gaining it with Ferry/Workshop, Remodel, Artisan, Feast, Altar, etc. ruins the point.

Other minor differences that don't really mean anything, in descending order of importance:
-Forum Market works with TfB, which means you might get it other than for the +Buy.
-Another card with a +Buy isn't cool or really worth making.
-You actually spend the on Forum Market (Basilica, Wine Merchant)
-Another card that enables Goons/Trader/Forum/Cost Reduction combo is annoying.
-Supplement Market activates at the end of your Buy phase (Villa)
-Supplement Market has an extra type (Courtier)

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 18, 2017, 12:48:39 pm »
+1

Oriental Market: Yeah, but you can still gain it then. That's the big difference. Also, I don't want more than once per turn.
I don't see the gaining of a 5$ card as such a problem. It's not like there were that many ways to gain cards costing 5$. The other thing: Use a Messenger wording.

-Reconstruction: Did you miss the or more? That's a difference.
When you buy this, you may overpay for it. Gain a differently named card costing the amount you paid in total.

-Joust: Yes, but I feel that implementation is a bit less streamlined.
Depends. It will also balance out what cards you can get Joust with. Do you get Joust for a few additional cents with Pearl Divers or do you have to skip a Province if you want to get it with Forge? If you already have a compelling reason to introduce a new type, you can do it this way if you want, but it's not one on its own imo.

-Misfortune: Yep, this one just uses the type to be simpler.
You mean "to use the type". It doesn't even follow the concept of "cards you gain weird ways".

-Paramnesia: The designer (MultiTalented) wanted these to be optional rules, and that's what they are.
Duchess wording doesn't mean it has to be a kingdom card or even in the supply.

-Scholar: This is from Greed, so it obvious it can work as a card.
Technically, they all can. It's just a question of whether you make things more or less complicated by adding a new type. The problem is that the ways you gain these cards all differ, so it's not like the new type really does anything but marking them up with a signal color right now. If you have a lot of effects that benefit from such a signal color, include the new type. If you just have stuff like Joust or Oriental Market, that could easily be implemented in a way that doesn't require a color to keep you alert, don't.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 18, 2017, 12:59:27 pm »

Ok, fair enough. I mean, I like the card type and I think it's fun, useful, and cool. I agree with almost all of the points you made, just not the impact. Do Reserves need a type? No, they can just be Actions that you put on a Mat (Like Island), and you can discard them from there for a bonus. Supplements are similar: You can change them, and make them normal Actions. However, in doing that you detract from it. You can disagree with this if you want to, but I won't bother arguing about it because it comes down to preference.

You are free to use the cards however you want of course, but I would hope you try out the Supplement version first and see what you think.

weety4

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 18, 2017, 01:50:07 pm »
+1

I felt it was obvious that when I wrote "Forum", my suggestion was to use Forum's wording, having Oriental Market look like this:
Unchanged bonus on play.
---

In case you still disagree, I will make an effort to tell you why this wording does exactly (edit: well, almost) the same as having it be a Supplement:
Supplement-case: I have 8$ to spend and a buy. I buy Silver. Now I have 5$ unspent. I gain Oriental Market.
Kingdom card case: I have 8$ to spend and a buy. I buy Oriental Market for 5$, get back my buy and have 3$ left, buying a Silver.

So, where's the difference? All the others work pretty much the same way. It's pretty trivial imo.
Now I get what you meant.
Sure, you could implement it like that but you would have to add a clause that specifies that you can never gain the card via gainers like Altar and that during setup, when you draw the respective randomizer, you add another Kingdom supply pile-

Now this is pretty artifical and wordy on the card (not to mention that I fail to see how you could forbid a card to be gained via gainers without creating a total mess of a rule exeception) which is why it makes more sense to implement it as a new type.
Given that there are so many far less necessary subtypes in the game (like Looter and Castles) I fail to understand why you direly want to avoid a new type which is cleaner, less wordy and more flexible. You could e.g. play around with reduzing the pile sizes of (some) Supplements.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 18, 2017, 01:50:21 pm »

You know you can edit your post, right?

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 18, 2017, 04:29:49 pm »
+1

Unchanged bonus on play.
---

Now I get what you meant.
Sure, you could implement it like that but you would have to add a clause that specifies that you can never gain the card via gainers like Altar and that during setup, when you draw the respective randomizer, you add another Kingdom supply pile-

Now this is pretty artifical and wordy on the card (not to mention that I fail to see how you could forbid a card to be gained via gainers without creating a total mess of a rule exeception) which is why it makes more sense to implement it as a new type.
Given that there are so many far less necessary subtypes in the game (like Looter and Castles) I fail to understand why you direly want to avoid a new type which is cleaner, less wordy and more flexible. You could e.g. play around with reduzing the pile sizes of (some) Supplements.

Or you could just accept that it is 90% the same and that trying to enforce the remaining 10% isn't worth the effort either way. Why is it such a horrible thing you can gain the card? It's not, you just decided you want that. And why shouldn't it be a kingdom card? Because it's boring? Man, then make a card that's less boring and give it that ability. Oh, wait, then you'd have Forum.

I'm not saying you shouldn't make new types. I'm saying new types should be worth their money. Wanting a card to be un-gainable for no particular reason isn't worth it, and a boring cards don't get less boring only because they are not taking up a supply spot. If all you want is a +Buy card that you can get even when you don't have buys to spare, ta-dah, I gave you one.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 18, 2017, 08:03:18 pm »
+2

You know what we need? More landscape cards. And I don't mean Terrains, we need to give Asper a rest from all these dumb new mechanics ;D.

Hanging Gardens seemed like a Landmark that was too obvious. It gives you a bunch of if you have more cards! Reminds me of some other Victory card, buy I forget which.

Excavation is the reverse Tower. You lose if you have a card from an empty pile. Maybe it would be better at -2 per pile, IDK.

Accumulate is an Event version of Auto-Destruct-Sequence's Reserve, as in you can either spend one of your Copper now or you can keep it till you want to. It's only once per turn, though.

Dispatch was my entry in the mini-set, along with Tables'. I applied the fixes he suggested and here it is. Similar to Surprise Attack from Warlords and Wizards.

Guard is really weird, I have no idea whether it will actually work.

Border is by AdrianHealey, entered in the Landmark competition. I renamed it because of LFN's Stockpile.

Mansion is from the Forum here somewhere. I renamed it and added the or more part to stop you using it in the first few rounds.

Sanctuary is another random one from the forums. It lets you go first AND lets you choose your opening, but you might lose some for it.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 08:50:19 pm by ThetaSigma12 »

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 18, 2017, 08:47:46 pm »
+1

"Gaurd" is misspelled.
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 18, 2017, 08:50:48 pm »

"Gaurd" is misspelled.
Fixed, in record speed.

In other news, fan card count is now 327. It jumped up 75 or so because I count Civilization now, and that's 30+ Card shaped things.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 08:52:33 pm by ThetaSigma12 »

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 18, 2017, 09:38:37 pm »
+2

Wow, several of these are actually really cool. Hum... Although I'm not sure Accumulate will actually make for fun games, and Guard being passed between player's doesn't exactly sit right with me... Excavation is pretty neat, I'd increase it to 5VP, though. Border has "its" spelled as "it's" but other than that seems rather nice. Mansion seems a bit much to think of in comparison to the others, and while I like the idea of Hanging Gardens, I think the players coming in second or third should still get rewarded. Maybe something like "+5 per player who has at most as many cards in their deck as you.". Dispatch is Villa as an Event... I'd rather not go into that. Sanctuary also seems cool.

Okay, I see, I have to check out the image to see whose idea the card originally is.

weety4

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 19, 2017, 04:42:47 am »
+1

Or you could just accept that it is 90% the same and that trying to enforce the remaining 10% isn't worth the effort either way. Why is it such a horrible thing you can gain the card? It's not, you just decided you want that. And why shouldn't it be a kingdom card? Because it's boring? Man, then make a card that's less boring and give it that ability. Oh, wait, then you'd have Forum.

I'm not saying you shouldn't make new types. I'm saying new types should be worth their money. Wanting a card to be un-gainable for no particular reason isn't worth it, and a boring cards don't get less boring only because they are not taking up a supply spot. If all you want is a +Buy card that you can get even when you don't have buys to spare, ta-dah, I gave you one.
Sure, Oriental Market is not all that different from an extra Kingdom card. And you could artifically do Captain's Quarters as a once per turn zero cost Scheme event (that also targets Treasures) and self-junks you with a Ruined Village.

You could also implement all Reserves as Durations and you could easily implement Durations as normal Actions. Landmarks are also easily doable as Events. Doesn't mean that you should do any of this though. In my opinion Supplements are different enough that they clearly warrant a new typ. Perhaps not a new colour (as you pointed out that signals that something special is going on whereas these cards are just normal Actions once they are in your deck) but definitely a new type.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 19, 2017, 06:31:32 am »
+1

And you could artifically do Captain's Quarters as a once per turn zero cost Scheme event (that also targets Treasures) and self-junks you with a Ruined Village.
The fact that you willingly ignore the suggestion I already made in favour of this embarrassingly cheap hyperbole just tells me that I shouldn't waste more time arguing with you. Good day, sir.

weety4

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 19, 2017, 07:02:57 am »
+1

And you could artifically do Captain's Quarters as a once per turn zero cost Scheme event (that also targets Treasures) and self-junks you with a Ruined Village.
The fact that you willingly ignore the suggestion I already made in favour of this embarrassingly cheap hyperbole just tells me that I shouldn't waste more time arguing with you. Good day, sir.
It was a totally technical description so what must have pissed you off was the word artifical.
It is indeed pointless to argue with somebody who cannot handle partial (as I already said, I do e.g. totally agree with you that a new colour should not be done) disagreements about fairly trivial stuff like whether a new idea should be implemented via a new type or be emulated via old types.

Back to the actual issue, Scheme variants, I prefer your Event which "schemes" as card at the cost of a Potion over Captain's Quarters.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 19, 2017, 07:50:11 am »

As OP I use my special powers to command you to stop arguing about Supplements as regular cards! I can do that, right?

weety4

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: January 19, 2017, 07:58:42 am »
+2

Hint taken. ;)
On a sidenote, would you mind to share your templates for all the new types like Landforms and so on? That'd be brilliant.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 19, 2017, 08:14:25 am »

Hint taken. ;)
On a sidenote, would you mind to share your templates for all the new types like Landforms and so on? That'd be brilliant.
Yes. I'm a bit behind on Landforms, but you can expect more soonish.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 19, 2017, 11:03:22 am »

Wow, several of these are actually really cool. Hum... Although I'm not sure Accumulate will actually make for fun games, and Guard being passed between player's doesn't exactly sit right with me... Excavation is pretty neat, I'd increase it to 5VP, though. Border has "its" spelled as "it's" but other than that seems rather nice. Mansion seems a bit much to think of in comparison to the others, and while I like the idea of Hanging Gardens, I think the players coming in second or third should still get rewarded. Maybe something like "+5 per player who has at most as many cards in their deck as you.". Dispatch is Villa as an Event... I'd rather not go into that. Sanctuary also seems cool.

Okay, I see, I have to check out the image to see whose idea the card originally is.
Just search landmark, these 2 should come up from the 30 or so results. Stechaffle (Mansion - Originally called Woodlands) and Beyond Awesome (Sactuary - No original name) made them.

Accumulate and Guard: Yeah, these are untested. Could be awesome, could suck.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 19, 2017, 11:21:24 am »
+2

pissed you off
Look who's got a new profile.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10  All

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 21 queries.