Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Next expansion  (Read 10703 times)

Timethief

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
Next expansion
« on: September 12, 2016, 06:57:03 am »

I know, Empires only is out for a few month now, however I was asking myself if there was are plans for the next ones, and what form it will have.

My two cents:
-I would like an expansion utilizing potions again
-I would really like an expansion where the existing themes are reimbursed, aka an expansion containing cards that haven't made the cut in existing expansions or would add in the existing theme. More travelers from adventures, more tokens for teacher, more debt cards etc etc.
-A promo card for those owning all expansions?

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
Re: Next expansion
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 09:24:59 am »

The second two are things that Donald has said won't happen. And the first one probably won't happen for a while at least.
(Also, sorry but is this an article?)

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 09:34:45 am »

Considering Adventures revisited Seaside themes, and Empires revisited Prosperity themes, I think we could be looking at something which doesn't bring only completely new things (like Dark Ages) but instead reinforces previous concepts. Maybe coin tokens, Looters, Potions? I guess we will see, probably next year.
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 10:13:51 am »
+1

I wouldn't mind if the next expansion would take a bit longer, to give us some more time to get acquainted with the Empires cards. (I'm still waiting for the release of Empires in my native language...)
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 10:18:45 am »
+6

-I would really like an expansion where the existing themes are reimbursed, aka an expansion containing cards that haven't made the cut in existing expansions or would add in the existing theme. More travelers from adventures, more tokens for teacher, more debt cards etc etc.

Why would you want an expansion of outtakes? I mean those cards were cut for good reasons.

There can't be any more tokens for Teacher without errata for Teacher. Teacher specifies right on the card which tokens you can move with it.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 11:35:05 am »
+2

I personally am kind of hoping for an unlikely Dominion: Rebuilt.
I'm not sure how it would work exactly, and it's probably a very bad idea money-wise, but I can dream. A set with Feast for 2$, some sort of working Adventurer and Thief, a Rebuild that doesn't suck, Cultist with an "or" clause, errataed Possession, fast Scrying pool, cheaper Familiar, maybe even all of Alchemy rebuffed plus some.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2016, 11:40:17 am »
+1

A reverse traveller (an expensive traveller that gets cheaper, but not necessarily worse) would be a cool idea

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2016, 12:22:02 pm »
+2

Why is this in dominion articles?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2016, 12:26:46 pm »
+1

a Rebuild that doesn't suck

Rebuild doesn't suck. Actually, it's a pretty powerful card.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2016, 12:31:46 pm »
+9

a Rebuild that doesn't suck

Rebuild doesn't suck. Actually, it's a pretty powerful card.

"the fun out of Dominion" was implied.

Timethief

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2016, 01:05:18 pm »

Why would you want an expansion of outtakes? I mean those cards were cut for good reasons.

There can't be any more tokens for Teacher without errata for Teacher. Teacher specifies right on the card which tokens you can move with it.

produce a new teacher card with an altered text and place it in the expansion

well, from what I read I get that the idea for Storyteller is rather old, however the mechanism wasn't there yet. There can be more for some cards to not make the cut. I think this would be a nice way to implement cards that were not ready when the expansion was released but they still cover the main theme.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2016, 02:45:40 pm »
+2

I am not trying to bring you down, but I feel very comfortable stating that this will never happen. Any new Adventures-style tokens would just have new cards or events or whatever to place them. Teacher is already balanced around the tokens it uses.

well, from what I read I get that the idea for Storyteller is rather old, however the mechanism wasn't there yet. There can be more for some cards to not make the cut. I think this would be a nice way to implement cards that were not ready when the expansion was released but they still cover the main theme.

Well the good news is that every expansion has cards like that; ones that didn't work out previously but were then fixed up.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2016, 05:41:51 pm »
+1

I am not trying to bring you down, but I feel very comfortable stating that this will never happen. Any new Adventures-style tokens would just have new cards or events or whatever to place them. Teacher is already balanced around the tokens it uses.

Dumber-er
- Action-Reserve

Put this on your Prison mat.
--------------------------------
At the end of your turn, you may call this, to move your Discard a card token, your Give yourself a Curse token, your Trash a card costing at least token, or your Let your opponent Possess you next turn token to an Action Supply pile you already have a token on.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Minotaur

• Margrave
  • Respect: +3960
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2017, 12:18:15 pm »

Alchemy is an interesting thought, maybe even a 2nd edition.  I think Alchemy might not be worth salvaging, at least not urgently.
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2017, 12:43:07 pm »
+4

I'm not sure how it would work exactly, and it's probably a very bad idea money-wise, but I can dream. A set with Feast for 2$, some sort of working Adventurer and Thief, a Rebuild that doesn't suck, Cultist with an "or" clause, errataed Possession, fast Scrying pool, cheaper Familiar, maybe even all of Alchemy rebuffed plus some.

Well, this basically happened! To an extent.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2017, 12:44:09 pm »

Your wish was partly granted!
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2017, 12:45:27 pm »

Your wish was partly granted!

Jinx. :P

MatthewCA

• Thief
  • Respect: +86
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2017, 02:11:15 pm »

A reverse traveller (an expensive traveller that gets cheaper, but not necessarily worse) would be a cool idea

I had an idea similar to this today, a traveler that doesn't progress linearly. Below line text could be "when you discard this from play, you may exchange it for (card A) or (card B)" then have several different options for how you want to exchange your travelers. I know it would be a pain to implement, and all the cards in the traveler lines wold take up a large chunk of the expansion, but I think it would be cool.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 02:14:58 pm by MatthewCA »

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1018
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2017, 02:22:45 pm »

Has there been any confirmation that another expansion is actually in the works or is this just typical whatsnextism?

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2017, 03:23:37 pm »

I had an idea similar to this today, a traveler that doesn't progress linearly. Below line text could be "when you discard this from play, you may exchange it for (card A) or (card B)" then have several different options for how you want to exchange your travelers. I know it would be a pain to implement, and all the cards in the traveler lines wold take up a large chunk of the expansion, but I think it would be cool.

I don't see anything wrong with a traveler you *must* exchange that gets worse.  Sort of like a one-shot that turns into a Village and then a cantrip.  (Or not exactly that because it's sort of vanilla, but you get the idea)  Maybe the very last one could be worth 1VP and go on your Tavern mat when played, like a retirement of sorts.

Forking upgrades was a neat idea, but if you overdo it, it's a lot of cards in the box for one Supply pile.  It would take a lot of work to figure out what sorts of upgrade paths would grant meaningful choices and flexibility responsive to shuffle luck.  Arguably, you could have thinner piles for the forks to make the pile sizes work out ok - 10 copies for lvl1 (Supply), 2 each for lvl2, 1 each for lvl3.  Maybe there could be three choices and then two choices, so that there are 6 final/lvl3 forms.  None of them could be as game-warping as Champion and Teacher, since it would take less shuffles, and other players are denied whatever you get first (think more like Prizes).  Some other condition might need to make it harder to reach the final form, such as needing to have unspent $ or a certain handsize, for example.  (The Handsize requirement could be implemented on a Traveler who draws cards, for example.  If you must have 6 cards in hand, then this is always possible with a +2 Cards terminal who did not get attacked or play non-drawing cards that hand)
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

MatthewCA

• Thief
  • Respect: +86
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2017, 03:54:52 pm »

I don't see anything wrong with a traveler you *must* exchange that gets worse.  Sort of like a one-shot that turns into a Village and then a cantrip.  (Or not exactly that because it's sort of vanilla, but you get the idea)  Maybe the very last one could be worth 1VP and go on your Tavern mat when played, like a retirement of sorts.

Forking upgrades was a neat idea, but if you overdo it, it's a lot of cards in the box for one Supply pile.  It would take a lot of work to figure out what sorts of upgrade paths would grant meaningful choices and flexibility responsive to shuffle luck.  Arguably, you could have thinner piles for the forks to make the pile sizes work out ok - 10 copies for lvl1 (Supply), 2 each for lvl2, 1 each for lvl3.  Maybe there could be three choices and then two choices, so that there are 6 final/lvl3 forms.  None of them could be as game-warping as Champion and Teacher, since it would take less shuffles, and other players are denied whatever you get first (think more like Prizes).  Some other condition might need to make it harder to reach the final form, such as needing to have unspent $ or a certain handsize, for example.  (The Handsize requirement could be implemented on a Traveler who draws cards, for example.  If you must have 6 cards in hand, then this is always possible with a +2 Cards terminal who did not get attacked or play non-drawing cards that hand)

I like the idea of making the lvl 2 and lvl 3 cards harder to get. Attach a condition to the exchange, because they will be so much faster to get. I especially like the idea of the hand size requirement of 6 cards in hand,  with a +2 Cards terminal. This allows the opponent to try to stop the exchange for the better card.

Has there been any confirmation that another expansion is actually in the works or is this just typical whatsnextism?

Typical whatsnextism.

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2017, 04:13:40 pm »

Alchemy is an interesting thought, maybe even a 2nd edition.  I think Alchemy might not be worth salvaging, at least not urgently.

Alchemy needed a second edition way more than Intrigue.
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2017, 05:12:09 pm »

People hate it so much as-is that a rework might have not attracted much attention.  There are also some balance and tempo problems intrinsic to having an alternate currency, and it might take a very long time to fix all of them together as a set.

Also, Scout.  (Mill is a nice re-work too.)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2017, 06:02:11 pm »
+1

People hate it so much as-is that a rework might have not attracted much attention.  There are also some balance and tempo problems intrinsic to having an alternate currency, and it might take a very long time to fix all of them together as a set.

Also, Scout.  (Mill is a nice re-work too.)

There's not really anything wrong with Alchemy anyway, aside from Transmute being rather weak.  I think the best thing that could be done would simply have been upgrading it to a 300 card set.  But that would take a lot of work and a lot of testing.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2017, 06:23:34 pm »
+2

Possession is the most hated card among casual players. I would drop it because of how much it turns people off.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 20 queries.