Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Author Topic: Black Market?  (Read 35810 times)

juffowup

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
Re: Black Market?
« Reply #100 on: December 04, 2016, 01:28:06 am »

I know the conversation is about banning cards from BM for setup and clarity issues, but if there's going to be a list of cards to exclude from the BM deck I would love to nominate Fairgrounds.

Only one player getting access to what in a BM game is often a $6 Colony has always bummed me out.

rspeer

• Witch
  • Respect: +877
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 05, 2016, 02:07:05 am »
+2

I know the conversation is about banning cards from BM for setup and clarity issues, but if there's going to be a list of cards to exclude from the BM deck I would love to nominate Fairgrounds.

Only one player getting access to what in a BM game is often a $6 Colony has always bummed me out.

You have to have the money at the time and you only get one of it. That seems like an acceptable amount of luck to me.

funkdoc

• Witch
  • Respect: +414
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 07, 2016, 12:39:09 pm »

plenty of way way worse cards than fairgrounds in that regard, imo: king's court, tactician, outpost, goons, tournament...

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #103 on: April 12, 2017, 11:25:48 pm »

So now that it's been a few months to try it out... Is Black Market not just so so strong?  Like at least top 5 $3's?

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 13, 2017, 12:38:40 am »

So now that it's been a few months to try it out... Is Black Market not just so so strong?  Like at least top 5 $3's?

Black Market has always been a strong card, usually a must-buy.  Top 5?  Well, it's competing against Amb, Masq, Fishing Village, Amulet, etc., so possibly not.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Dingan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #105 on: April 13, 2017, 01:26:57 am »

Black Market has always been a strong card, usually a must-buy.  Top 5?  Well, it's competing against Amb, Masq, Fishing Village, Amulet, etc., so possibly not.
Looking at those, I'd put it at #3.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 13, 2017, 02:01:58 am »

Looking at those, I'd put it at #3.

Well, there are a lot of others as well.  Hermit, Menagerie, Steward, etc etc.  BM was #13 (of 49) here:

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16639.msg660513#msg660513
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 13, 2017, 02:41:51 am »
+2

Black Market is still really, really strong. The fact that it now contains 60-cards makes it even stronger, imo, especially since you are almost guaranteed to get any missing engine component on the board and have the chance at hitting the jackpot getting a Fortune, KC, Goons or other high-value card.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 13, 2017, 10:14:31 am »

Black Market is still really, really strong. The fact that it now contains 60-cards makes it even stronger, imo, especially since you are almost guaranteed to get any missing engine component on the board and have the chance at hitting the jackpot getting a Fortune, KC, Goons or other high-value card.

Can you get Fortune in the online implementation?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
  • Respect: +971
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 13, 2017, 10:14:51 am »

Can you get Fortune in the online implementation?

Yes.
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

Dingan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #110 on: June 11, 2017, 03:18:49 am »
+1

Just realized that when a player plays a Black Market but can't afford any of the 3 cards, SHiT doesn't let them explicitly choose "Don't buy", thereby giving opponents information that they don't have the cash.  This sorta goes against, say, the pattern of letting a player not show a card when opponent plays Gladiator even if they don't have it, so as not to give out information that they don't have it.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 11, 2017, 12:29:10 pm »
+6

Just realized that when a player plays a Black Market but can't afford any of the 3 cards, SHiT doesn't let them explicitly choose "Don't buy", thereby giving opponents information that they don't have the cash.  This sorta goes against, say, the pattern of letting a player not show a card when opponent plays Gladiator even if they don't have it, so as not to give out information that they don't have it.

It's more like, Gladiator goes against the pattern of revealing information, I think it's the only place in the interface where you can do this kind of thing, everywhere else the no choice things happen automatically and also there's no general way to pretend about Reactions. I don't personally want any of the pretending stuff, I think information leakage like that is almost never strategically significant in practice (it's of course easy to construct cases where it matters in principal). Gladiator isn't too onerous because it usually only happens a handful of times in a game.

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 13, 2017, 01:44:15 am »

I don't really like hiding the contents. The most fun part in Black Market for me is figuring out if it's worth going for it. If you hide the contents, you kind of have to go for it every time, and I really don't like cards that you have to go for most of the time. Also not sure as well how you would hide the contents with cards in it that add extra piles or the Baker token for that matter.
Only thing I can think up of is a "dynamic" thing where you add Ruins when you see a Looter card revealed.  However, this don't sound Kosher.  IMO, it's fine that users have full knowledge of all cards available, even if accessibility ain't guaranteed

It'd be really nice to have the option to include every kingdom card except the ones in the current kingdom, like it actually says on the card.

An option might be okay, but I really don't like it as a default. Because this means we always play with Prizes, Travellers, a bane card, Mercenary, Madman ..., the interface would become proabably very unclear. Also for the same reasoning, you kind of have to go for Black Market if there is every card in it which ruins the fun of figuring out if it's worth going for it.[/quote][shrug] To me, it's not different than something like risking to see if your Treasure Maps strike Gold.
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 20 queries.