Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Coins -> VP tokens  (Read 1395 times)

tristan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +193
    • View Profile
Coins -> VP tokens
« on: September 07, 2016, 09:58:54 pm »

Druid - Action -

+1 Card
+1 Action

Play a Delusion from the Delusion pile.
----------------
While this is in play, during your Buy phase pay any amount of .
+1 per paid.

The idea is fairly straightforward, convert Coins into VP tokens (I obviously play too many resource conversion Euros). Such a card should obviously not stack (not sure whether this is achieved rule-wise with my Storyteller-ish pay formulation)
The coin-VP ratio has to be low enough to make this sometimes worthwhile and high enough to prevent you from not greening at all. 2:1 would be crazy but at 3:1 you really have to think whether you want that Gold or that 2VPs respectively whether you really forsake a Province and get 3VP tokens if you hit 9.
I have some doubts that the ratio is too low or that the card is too expensive but you gotta start conservative with such an idea and I didn't want to do something like 5:2 as it is not continuous enough for my taste.

The card uses weavile's Delusion to punish you if you play but don't use Druid's conversion and buy a card instead.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 10:06:33 pm by tristan »

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
Re: Coins -> VP tokens
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 07:03:02 am »

I believe this encounters the problem of not wanting you to end the game. If your spending all your money on VP, and then if your not buying anything to discard your delusions, then how will the game end?
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

tristan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 08:39:00 am »

I believe this encounters the problem of not wanting you to end the game. If your spending all your money on VP, and then if your not buying anything to discard your delusions, then how will the game end?
The coin-VP ratio has to be low enough to make this sometimes worthwhile and high enough to prevent you from not greening at all.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2016, 08:42:45 am »

The coin-VP ratio has to be low enough to make this sometimes worthwhile and high enough to prevent you from not greening at all.
So? It's still encourages you not to end the game. It even punishes you for buying cards and not using it's ability. Monument, plunder, and bishop all give you money. This takes away your money and makes it hard for you to end the game.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

tristan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2016, 08:49:31 am »

So? It's still encourages you not to end the game. It even punishes you for buying cards and not using it's ability. Monument, plunder, and bishop all give you money. This takes away your money and makes it hard for you to end the game.
That's a feature and not a bug. As I already said, the ratio has to be low enough (and most like is low enough) such that you cannot rely on the VPs you get from Druid to win you the game. You'd have to produce 18 to get the VP equivalent of a Province. Even at the advantage of not having a dead card in your deck this seems inefficient enough not be a mono-strategy enabler.
It should rather be a support card, something that might get you some extra VPs (at an obvious high cost) but not something that makes you able to win the game without greening at all (or pursuing other ways to get at VPs).
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.513 seconds with 21 queries.