Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Let's Discuss Landmarks: Mountain Pass  (Read 4656 times)

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
Let's Discuss Landmarks: Mountain Pass
« on: September 05, 2016, 12:32:17 pm »
+3

I really hate Scout, *** you nerds, girls and booze - that is what matters

Okay, I realize there has already been a thread about this here. It was all about the bidding though. We want to discuss the larger issues here. Like, how does your greening strategy change with this around? Which kind of decks get the largest benefit from the auction (i.e. can handle the debt better)? What kind of credit institute sets up shop on a Mountain Pass to give debt to people climbing through that cold, unforgiving place? Talk about subprime lendings. One day, that Mountain Pass bubble will burst, sending the whole Dominion into a deep recession until inflation runs so high that you have to pay $12 just to get a Village (Scout will still cost $4 though).
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 02:57:04 pm by faust »
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Discuss Landmarks: Mountain Pass
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 01:26:00 pm »

Another cool looking Landmark. I like the bidding effect, especially since 8VP will be worth more or less depending on the Kingdom.
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1470
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 01:32:20 pm »
+3

Recently had a Mountain Pass/Tournament game, which is pretty oppressive, imo. Getting the first province means you get to prizes first aswell as having the advantage of bidding second. Furthermore, you're more than fine just gaining prizes +paying off debt whereas your opponent really can't take the debt since he has to buy a province as soon as possible. Really a lose/lose scenario.

Another thing: In Rebuild/ no Colony mirrors, it seems like taking 40debt is almost always the right move? Assuming you already have three Duchies.

Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 01:57:33 pm »
+2

Wouldn't you just automatically bid 1 more than your opponent a lot of the time?
Unless your opponent bids 40 of course.

But your opponent basically can't win. Either he has to bid an insane amount to keep you from overbidding, in which case he's hurting himself by accumulating that much debt. Or he bids something reasonable in which case it's often also reasonable to bid just one more.

Your opponent basically has to find the perfect tipping point, which is impossible.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 02:26:57 pm »

Dude I forgot about that burning skull quote!
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 03:20:35 pm »
+1

Wouldn't you just automatically bid 1 more than your opponent a lot of the time?
Unless your opponent bids 40 of course.

But your opponent basically can't win. Either he has to bid an insane amount to keep you from overbidding, in which case he's hurting himself by accumulating that much debt. Or he bids something reasonable in which case it's often also reasonable to bid just one more.

Your opponent basically has to find the perfect tipping point, which is impossible.

17 in a standard game, or what did we end up with?

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2016, 07:51:43 pm »

Actually if players play correctly it should not give anyone an advantage overall.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2016, 08:29:52 pm »
+2

Actually if players play correctly it should not give anyone an advantage overall.

Unless one player can handle the debt better than the other (eg the Tournament example). If the 8 VP are worth 15 Debt to the first bidder but 20 Debt to the second, then the first bidder must either overpay or allow the second bidder to underpay.

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2016, 09:12:35 pm »
+1

Unless one player can handle the debt better than the other (eg the Tournament example). If the 8 VP are worth 15 Debt to the first bidder but 20 Debt to the second, then the first bidder must either overpay or allow the second bidder to underpay.

Take a look at this

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2016, 09:22:47 pm »

Take a look at this

That's more or less what I said. Mountain Pass gives an advantage to the player who can handle the debt better (or I suppose get more value from the VP tokens) - "The key to doing well is to have a higher valuation in debt for the 8 VP than your opponent, which may be related to being able to buy Province first - not the order of bidding."

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2017, 06:03:30 pm »

Is it ever not the best decision for the player who gets the first Province to take the debt and points?  Since they can just outbid everyone else, and if they got a Province first, their deck can probably handle the debt best anyway, and it just becomes a runaway effect where one player is 14 ahead of everyone else.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

aku_chi

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: aku chi
  • Respect: +1435
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2017, 06:29:21 pm »
+1

Is it ever not the best decision for the player who gets the first Province to take the debt and points?  Since they can just outbid everyone else, and if they got a Province first, their deck can probably handle the debt best anyway, and it just becomes a runaway effect where one player is 14 ahead of everyone else.

Yes, it is sometimes not the best decision for the player who gets the first Province to take the debt and points.  Obviously so, because the decision depends on what the other player bids.

mountainpassbiddingstrategy.com

See JW's post on the subject.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 21 queries.