Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Let's Discuss Landmarks: Defiled Shrine  (Read 5023 times)

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
Let's Discuss Landmarks: Defiled Shrine
« on: August 31, 2016, 05:29:59 pm »
+3

Have you ever played Knights of the Old Republic? This reminds me of the final planet you land on there.

It's the other part of Curse Empowerment Movement (also known as Purple Cards Matter)! Unfortunately, it doesn't combo very well with its sister in spirit, Ritual, because the bonus is only on-buy.

In a standard game, you'll have maybe 9 action supply piles if you're lucky, which makes this get 18 VP, or three Provinces. Of course often there's Scout or something and the pile is never touched. But it's reasonable to assume it will be at least a double-digit number of VP usually. Which means there will be at least 2 times someone buys a Curse during the game. Chances are this will make a heavy impact in almost every game it's in, excluding maybe games with other Cursers that make the pile run out before you can get the VP.

- At which value would you start picking this up with a spare buy in a trashing game? How about a non-trashing game?
- How often can you do the "gain several actions, then buy a Curse" move?
- Just how often does it matter with Cursers? Like, you buy the last Curse if you know that your opponent would give it to you anyway?
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Discuss Landmarks: Defiled Shrine
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 06:09:06 pm »

Finally, a Landmark which looks like it will make the game more fun. This actually looks really cool. The art is nice too.

Just a quick question, do you need to by Landmarks to trigger the effects like Events, or are they always there?
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

mameluke

• Duke
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 07:14:38 pm »

They're always there -- a permanent 'effect'.

I like this one -- it's definitely a case of 'do something you wouldn't always do anyways' which isn't the case with too many of the Landmarks.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 07:19:15 pm »

Finally, a Landmark which looks like it will make the game more fun. This actually looks really cool. The art is nice too.

Just a quick question, do you need to by Landmarks to trigger the effects like Events, or are they always there?
They're always there, that's why they don't have a cost.

And a question for me - you put VP only on non-Gathering Action cards, but do you move VP from Gathering piles? The top line doesn't specify.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 07:23:17 pm »

And a question for me - you put VP only on non-Gathering Action cards, but do you move VP from Gathering piles? The top line doesn't specify.
I'd assume so.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 07:33:41 pm »

The card says you do.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2016, 07:53:53 pm »

And ruins is an action supply pile, so you could have a maximum of 24VP available from this (with young witch).

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2016, 07:57:32 pm »
+1

And ruins is an action supply pile, so you could have a maximum of 24VP available from this (with young witch).

Or more if you have Gatherings.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2016, 11:45:47 pm »
+2

Just played a 3-player IRL game with Defiled Shrine. Four curses were bought, including one on the last turn of the game to secure a win. He didn't have enough to buy a province (there was only one left), but he was able to buy the last two candlestick makers and a curse (for a net 2VP), ending the game and causing him to win by 1.
Unfortunately, it wasn't me who did that.

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +558
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2016, 07:12:43 am »

Are there ever clever tricks with Ambassador that are worth doing?  Only in the presence of other cursers, I suspect, but even then it's probably questionable.
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

tailred

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: ceviri
  • Respect: +368
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2016, 11:08:36 am »

Note that, unlike ritual, this is on buy, not on gain, so WT and Trader work. Also giving a reason for this to be a landmark over a silly 0 cost +1 buy event.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2016, 12:32:35 pm »

Are there ever clever tricks with Ambassador that are worth doing?  Only in the presence of other cursers, I suspect, but even then it's probably questionable.

If there aren't any other Cursers, Ambassador is a good enough reason to buy a Curse sometimes even without Defiled Shrine. I don't think you would return Curses to buy them again more than once or twice as the opportunity arises, but you'd buy the first Curse to pick up a bunch of VP and start junking your opponent. Maybe you would eventually want 2, to get more points, and then once the pile's down, return both and buy the leftover one to get even more free points. Situational but worth considering.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2016, 01:04:09 pm »

If there aren't any other Cursers, Ambassador is a good enough reason to buy a Curse sometimes even without Defiled Shrine. I don't think you would return Curses to buy them again more than once or twice as the opportunity arises, but you'd buy the first Curse to pick up a bunch of VP and start junking your opponent. Maybe you would eventually want 2, to get more points, and then once the pile's down, return both and buy the leftover one to get even more free points. Situational but worth considering.

On a related note, I got ambassador out of the BM deck once. It was the only junker in he game. Those were good times.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2016, 12:21:32 pm »
+2

Just played my first game IRL with this Landmark.  LOVE IT!  Seriously one of the most innovative additions to the Landmark family.

+Buy cards become almost a must get in the opening turns as that additional buy can turn into a fair number of VP chips for only a curse in deck.  Without a +Buy readily accessible relative opportunity costs are essential.  At what price point and for how many chips are you will to not get a card that you want and instead buy a curse?  That question is so hard to answer and really adds to the dynamics of the early game.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2017, 06:43:49 pm »

Ahh.. the "Puerto Rico effect".... one normally won't do this, but make it juicy enough... one will bite!

This makes the Curse worth n-1 pts due to the VP tokens (also what 'n' represents), but all the better if you can Trash that curse.  Otherwise, it only takes up one card in your deck.
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.459 seconds with 20 queries.