Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Band of Misfits question  (Read 2371 times)

Willbender

• Pawn
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
Band of Misfits question
« on: August 30, 2016, 11:20:01 am »
+2

I was reading the wiki entry for Band of Misfits, and two of the entries seem to contradict each other:

If you use Throne Room, King's Court, or Procession to play a Band of Misfits card multiple times, you only pick what to play it as the first time; the other times it is still copying the same card. For example, if you use Procession to play Band of Misfits twice and choose Fortress the first time, you will automatically replay it as Fortress, then trash the Band of Misfits
If you use Throne Room on Band of Misfits, choosing to play Band of Misfits as a self-trashing card (for example, Feast), the Band of Misfits will be in the trash after the first play as Feast, meaning it has left play. Throne Room then plays Band of Misfits again (getting token effects again, if there are any), allowing you to make a new choice as to what Band of Misfits should emulate.

In the first example, BoM chooses a card to play as only once. In the second example, BoM can be chosen to be a different card each time.

I want to make sure I understand why these situations are different.
Is the issue that in the first example BoM stays out, and so remains the chosen card on all replays, and in the second example BoM gets trashed between replays, so can reset to something else?
Or is there some other interaction going on that makes things different?

dane-m

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: dane-m
  • Respect: +196
    • View Profile
Re: Band of Misfits question
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 11:32:36 am »
+1

I was reading the wiki entry for Band of Misfits, and two of the entries seem to contradict each other:

If you use Throne Room, King's Court, or Procession to play a Band of Misfits card multiple times, you only pick what to play it as the first time; the other times it is still copying the same card. For example, if you use Procession to play Band of Misfits twice and choose Fortress the first time, you will automatically replay it as Fortress, then trash the Band of Misfits
If you use Throne Room on Band of Misfits, choosing to play Band of Misfits as a self-trashing card (for example, Feast), the Band of Misfits will be in the trash after the first play as Feast, meaning it has left play. Throne Room then plays Band of Misfits again (getting token effects again, if there are any), allowing you to make a new choice as to what Band of Misfits should emulate.

In the first example, BoM chooses a card to play as only once. In the second example, BoM can be chosen to be a different card each time.

I want to make sure I understand why these situations are different.
Is the issue that in the first example BoM stays out, and so remains the chosen card on all replays, and in the second example BoM gets trashed between replays, so can reset to something else?
Yes, that's essentially it.  In the first scenario BoM has stayed in play so when TR/KC/etc plays it for the second (or third) time it's still whatever it became on the first play.  In the second scenario BoM has left play so when TR/KC/etc plays it for the second (or third) time it has reverted to being a BoM so follows its own instructions and plays itself as another card.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 11:37:25 am »

Your hunch is correct, it has to do with Band of Misfits being "that card" until it leaves play. Note that Donald has not always ruled the interaction this way. Originally it was always the first card you chose, and you can hold me  partially responsible for arguing that's not how it should be (i might not have been the only one though, i just don't remember others saying it). BoM is a card with a lot of possible readings - this one is less intuitive (which is probably why Donald didn't want it originally), but it is a tad more inherently consistent. I play Band of Misfits, no wait, i play Feast, i play it again, let's see what it is, aha, it's Band of Misfits. It's certainly not the prettiest edge case.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 11:39:51 am by Asper »

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 07:09:41 pm »
+1

Note that Donald has not always ruled the interaction this way. Originally it was always the first card you chose, and you can hold me  partially responsible for arguing that's not how it should be (i might not have been the only one though, i just don't remember others saying it).

This was the main thread about that: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=4083.0
I think I'm the one arguing most strongly for it -- not that it made Donald change his mind then. The result was mainly that it was determined that BoM needed to have a special ruling to work the old way, since that's not how the cards acted according to the current rules.

Then this is the thread where he actually changed his mind: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13115.50

I can't see that you're in either of those threads though. Was there another thread that I'm unaware of?

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 07:28:22 pm »
+1

Guys, there's no need to fight over the credit here, everyone knows it was me.

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 08:55:28 pm »

Guys, there's no need to fight over the credit here, everyone knows it was me.
your prize is a bunch of silvers
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2016, 08:56:19 pm »
+1

Note that Donald has not always ruled the interaction this way. Originally it was always the first card you chose, and you can hold me  partially responsible for arguing that's not how it should be (i might not have been the only one though, i just don't remember others saying it).

This was the main thread about that: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=4083.0
I think I'm the one arguing most strongly for it -- not that it made Donald change his mind then. The result was mainly that it was determined that BoM needed to have a special ruling to work the old way, since that's not how the cards acted according to the current rules.

Then this is the thread where he actually changed his mind: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13115.50

I can't see that you're in either of those threads though. Was there another thread that I'm unaware of?

Inbetween, there was this discussion: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7016.msg195927#msg195927
I'm not sure whether there was another one, but i don't think i discussed it before that one. You participated there, by the way.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 21 queries.