Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Author Topic: Aleimon Thimble's top 30 favorite cards  (Read 32646 times)

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
Aleimon Thimble's top 30 favorite cards
« on: August 30, 2016, 10:20:20 am »
+3

So there are plans for new card strength rankings (and maybe also tiers) on this forum, and I'm excited for them already! But they're not quite done yet, so instead, I decided to write about my favorite cards. These are not necessarily the strongest cards, just cards that appeal to me personally. Nevertheless, discussions about them are welcome. :) It's going to be a top 30 because I got a bit lazy after that, and there's not a lot of interesting stuff to say about all of those middle-of-the-road cards. There are cards I do truly hate, such as Cultist and Possession, and I could write about those, but let's just focus on the good times instead! Yay!

Without further ado, here are the numbers 26-30, and I will slowly move up to number 1 in the days to follow. :)

---

30. Quarry

I really enjoy cost reducers. Is it because I’m Dutch? It might be; we’re somewhat notorious over the entire world for being cheap and always looking for the best deal. Anyway, Quarry is good for getting multiple engine components quickly, but it really needs +Buy to excel, which can be a bit frustrating. Then again, engines that don’t work out because a component is missing are always frustrating. Spoiler alert: not all cost reducers made it to this list. Bridge Troll is missing, and I suspect that it is because the attack is somewhat annoying to resolve, which makes it fall just outside of the top 30.

29. Goons

It has all the components of an awesome card. Obviously, it’s the single best payload card in the game, and it’s a very cool way to get a metric ton of Alt-VP. The only reason it’s not higher on this list is because it’s a bit too strong. Its presence seriously diminishes your interest in other cool payload cards like Bridge Troll and Merchant Guild, because you’d rather just have another Goons instead. So Goons is a bit too overcentralizing, which is a shame, because it’s awesome otherwise. I kinda feel it shouldn’t have an Attack, that way it would be way more balanced.

28. Saboteur

Yeah. Sue me. I’m probably the only person who likes this card. Interestingly, I don’t like Knights at all; they’re stronger on average because they give resources and don’t give your opponent replacements, but I strongly feel that trashing attacks need to be on the weak side. Saboteur is rather weak, but excelling with weakish cards is cool in its own right. I actually like that it can trash Provinces, because that helps prevent the ability to have your opponent on points lockdown. Nothing worse than participating in a game you know you can’t win.

27. Vault

One of the few draw cards in this list. Most draw cards are rather boring, although they are a welcome addition to engines; it doesn’t feel like you’re doing something very interesting if you play a Smithy variant in most cases. Vault is cool though. It rewards overdrawing your deck and makes your payload variable, and it offers some more difficult decisions at times. I usually dislike cards that give a benefit to your opponent, which is why Council Room, Governor and Bishop will never make it to this list, but Vault is an exception probably because it usually doesn’t actually feel like you’re helping them all that much.

26. Salvager

Time for another unpopular opinion: Seaside is my least favorite set. It’s about as vanilla as the Base set, but at least the Base set gets some love because I really enjoy teaching the game to new players, and there are a couple of cool cards. Seaside almost completely lacks those cool cards. Almost every card that is a bit more complex is clunky (Pirate Ship), overpowered (Ambassador) or just happens to be a card that I suck at (Tactician). Salvager is an exception though, and the only card that made it to this list. It’s a really nice and satisfying TFB card that will make sure you rarely truly regret buying something, as you can always turn it into something else.
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
Re: Aleimon Thimble's top 30 favorite cards
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 10:33:27 am »
+4

We do not get along dominionwise

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 12:13:56 pm »

I'm trying to think of a edge case situation where Scout doesn't make the list
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1471
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 12:22:27 pm »
+7

I can think of only one situation: Aleimon Thimble is not Roadrunner
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 12:25:12 pm »

I can think of only one situation: Aleimon Thimble is not Roadrunner
Maybe Aleimon Thimble still appreciates a good card! You like Scout even though you aren't Roadrunner.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 12:28:31 pm »
+4

Maybe Aleimon Thimble still appreciates a good card!

That's precisely the reason why Scout might not make the list.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2016, 05:11:48 pm »

Of course we all know what #1 will be.   

No, not Moat

Jester
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1471
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2016, 05:14:55 pm »
+1

Of course we all know what #1 will be.   

No, not Moat

Jester

Wow, you don't know Aleimon very well. Everybody knows it's going to be Herald
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2016, 05:20:16 pm »
+7

schadd's 7th through 3rd favorite cards

7. menagerie
6. village
5. distant lands
4. armory
3. steward

thank you for your time
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2016, 06:24:12 pm »
+1

schadd's 7th through 3rd favorite cards

7. menagerie
6. village
5. distant lands
4. armory
3. steward

thank you for your time

Give me my 3 seconds back!

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2016, 09:39:51 am »
+3

25. Gardens

I like the concept of Alt-VP cards. They’re not all in this list; I can enjoy a good Silk Road or Duke slog, but I prefer cards that are a bit more flexible in their deck choice. Gardens is definitely flexible though; it’s usable in slogs, rushes and even some engines, especially the ones with ample +Buy. It was also the original Alt-VP card, and I always enjoy the look on people’s faces when I introduce Gardens to them in their second game of Dominion ever. If they weren’t already sold on the game, Gardens will seal the deal.

24. Apothecary

I’m a sucker for the underdog, and Copper is definitely the underdog. Coppers are not as annoying in getting in the way as Estates are, because they give you payload, but then the payload is pretty mediocre to the point that you’d usually rather trash them. Well, if there’s a way around it, I’m going for it. Copper strategies are not always strong, but they are always interesting and Apothecary is clearly the king of Copper strategies. And the deck-reordering is cool if you don’t need to buy a Cartographer or even a Scout to do so. Although Apothecary is probably the best reason to buy a Scout after all. (Is Scout on this list? I’ll just keep you in suspense a bit longer!)

23. Bridge

No card loves Throne Room variants more than Bridge does. I’m thankful that DXV had not yet found out the ‘while-in-play’ wording clause when Intrigue was released, because these Bridge combos would be completely nerfed if it weren’t for its nowadays unusual wording. As the original cost reducer, it enabled a wide range of megaturn strategies (even without Thrones) , and few things are more satisfying than piledriving the Provinces in a single turn.

22. Stonemason

One of those awesome versatile cards. It can be frustrating sometimes if you overlook its presence and then you see your opponent get 2 Scrying Pools by paying 4P or something, and you realized you messed up a turn earlier. Still, even after it’s in your deck there are some interesting choices to be made, like when it is appropriate to trash your valuable engine parts into two cheaper engine parts, or Duchies later in the game. And it is worth it to trash those worthless Estates/Shelters into two Coppers? Who knows man, depends on the board…

21. Fortress

How cool is that? This card will never ever leave your deck. Well, unless you decide to give it away with Ambassador or Masquerade, which you won’t unless you’re forced to. It has so many delicious combos with TFB cards that I just can’t dislike it. Oh, and don’t forget it counters trashing attacks. Other than that it’s a Village, for a while I contemplated putting vanilla Village in the list just because I’m always happy to see it on a board, but it’s not quite interesting enough. Same thing goes for the slight variants like Mining, Farming and Walled Village. But Fortress rocks, no further questions.

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2016, 04:22:35 am »
+3

No reactions? Ah well.

20. Forge

I find Chapel not very satisfying because it’s so easy to get. Just buy it turn 1, bam. Where’s the challenge in that? Forge is equally powerful as a trasher and can be a gainer to boot, but its $7 cost makes it a challenge to obtain. And those mathematical tricks are always fun. Fun fact: the Dutch translation of Dominion is pretty awful in general, but the name of this card has especially been butchered. They went with ‘Vervalsen’, which does mean ‘forge’, but only in the sense of counterfeiting stuff, not in the metalwork sense. (In case you were wondering, ‘Counterfeit’ has been translated as ‘Vals geld’, meaning ‘Fake money’. Sigh.)

19. University

+2 Actions, gain a degree. Oh, if only it were that simple (as I’m writing this I’m once again procrastinating on my research). University (the Dominion card) gets you a lot of stuff though, and stuff is good, especially the more expensive stuff. Just be aware that you won’t draw your deck with Universities and something like Witches alone; the Necropolis part is rather weak. But that’s fine. Gainers are nice, Villages are nice, this one’s both, so enjoy and relax!

18. Coppersmith

Once again me with the Copper strategies! You’ll see this recurring theme more often in the remainder of this list. Its niche is small, but definitely noticeable; I have completely obliterated opponents a couple of times when they underestimated Coppersmith on a strong engine board with weak trashing. Fun fact: this is the first card I ever bought in my first game of Dominion, I played a full random game with Intrigue only. I remember Saboteur and Swindler were also on the board. Can you imagine that I actually became a Dominion fan?

17. Amulet

I’ve only been a f.DS member for about a year, and I already relish the discussions we had surrounding Amulet. Specifically, the most discussed question from the early Adventures metagame was whether or not Amulet was better than Steward. We did eventually reach the consensus that Steward is generally better, but to this day not everyone agrees how big the differences are. Anyway, Amulet is versatile, I like cards that give you the opportunity to be flexible. It’s the only Duration card on this list (and there are no Reserve cards); I find that they’re often kind of a hassle to keep track of, but Amulet is cool enough that it deserves a spot.

16. Count

Speaking about versatility! Count could very well have been named Jack of All Trades, except that it’s way cooler than Jack since it actually helps you thin instead of flooding you with Silvers. The only negative thing about it is that it kinda makes Mandarin obsolete, but Mandarin was never that interesting to begin with, so whatever. Count joins Baron, Duke, Margrave, Prince and the other Nobles in the Council Room of VIP’s, and he’s having a good time.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2016, 04:25:26 am »
+15

No reactions? Ah well.

You're surprised that you didn't include any Reactions on your own list of favorite cards?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2016, 04:26:17 am »
+12

No reactions? Ah well.

You're surprised that you didn't include any Reactions on your own list of favorite cards?

I'm surprised that I did not see that joke coming.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2016, 09:06:17 am »

Mandarin has the on buy!!!
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2016, 03:40:00 pm »

An almost always bad on-buy. How often do I even went treasures back on top of my deck?

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2016, 03:50:15 pm »

An almost always bad on-buy. How often do I even went treasures back on top of my deck?

When you buy Mandarin with 2 golds.

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2016, 04:05:50 pm »

I think Mandarin is an ok buy in a 5/2 opening, tbh.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2016, 05:31:46 pm »
+1

In just about any engine, having two golds on top prevents you from hitting key engine components.

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2016, 05:46:24 pm »

In just about any engine, having two golds on top prevents you from hitting key engine components.

Well, obviously it is very situational. If you need to hit or something like that, it can be nice. It's niche, but I like niche cards.

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2016, 03:52:25 am »

I think Mandarin is an ok buy in a 5/2 opening, tbh.

It's not very good. It slows your cycling down by an entire turn.

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2016, 04:54:32 am »
+3

Yay posts!

15. Haggler

After the cost reduction thing, I will now allow you to make fun of my Dutch heritage once again. Spoiler alert: Peddler is not on this list. Anyway, Haggler gives you a lot of cards, and it progressively gets better as you buy better and bigger cards, which is nice. There are times when it requires some more thought, for example whether or not it is worth it to get an extra Hamlet if that also pushes an extra Copper to your deck. Sometimes you forget about this and absentmindedly buy that Hamlet. Oops.

14. Minion

It’s funny though. I usually don’t like monolithic strategies that much; I hate Cultist with a passion and Rebuild is not as bad, but certainly somewhere down there. Minion seems to be an exception and I’m not completely sure why. I guess it self-synergizes into an engine, but not necessarily an engine with Minions as its only components. Also, I like the draw-to-X thing (Watchtower almost made it to the top 30, but not quite; Library falls short of it due to the extra hassle with possibly setting aside Action cards).

13. Merchant Guild

It’s like Goons, but weaker and therefore more balanced. I have called it a poor man’s Goons before, which is not quite doing it justice, quite frankly, because Merchant Guild rocks. A Merchant Guild engine builds just like a Goons engine, except you can add the payload cards maybe a bit later, and Merchant Guild absolutely requires a strong engine to work.  Interestingly, I thought it looked very weak at first, with its ‘Herbalist something something’ look, but I was pleasantly surprised by its usefulness.

12. Golem

I like unconventional splitters. Well, not all of them. King’s Court is too swingy, Procession gives me a headache and Ironmonger is just not very satisfying, so they got omitted. But Golem is just awesome. Oh, the excitement you feel when you’re praying that it doesn’t just hit two terminals. It may be a bit on the weak side for a card that costs $4 and a Potion, but it definitely deserves a place in my heart. Plus, it shares its name with a Pokemon, and I love Pokemon.

11. Band of Misfits

Did I mention I like flexible cards? BoM can be almost anything you want! Well, unless it costs $5+. Or if it’s not an Action card. Or if it’s not in the supply. Or if its pile is empty. But still, it can probably be at least three different things, which is nice. Oh man, I should make a meme out of this. There’s certainly one there, with the whole ‘you can be anything you want’ thing. But I’m too lazy and too busy writing about my favorite cards, so I’ll just leave it to someone else.

tristan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +193
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2016, 07:00:06 pm »

13. Merchant Guild

It’s like Goons, but weaker and therefore more balanced. I have called it a poor man’s Goons before, which is not quite doing it justice, quite frankly, because Merchant Guild rocks. A Merchant Guild engine builds just like a Goons engine, except you can add the payload cards maybe a bit later, and Merchant Guild absolutely requires a strong engine to work.  Interestingly, I thought it looked very weak at first, with its ‘Herbalist something something’ look, but I was pleasantly surprised by its usefulness.
I don't see the similarity with Goons except for being broadly in the Woodcutter Buy and Coins family. Goons is alt-VP, Merchant Guild is a card which provides you some Coin tokens in the middle- and endgame. You can usually start with Goons earlier than with Merchant Guild.
While I don't get all the intricacies of Merchant Guild I am pretty sure that it can be a great card in a deck with few Action cards. Sure, using it in an engine where you can play more than one per turn makes the card really shine but with BM hat you can actually buy a Copper for a Coin token far earlier than in an engine due to the slower cycling (i.e. the Copper won't hurt you as often as you draw it fewer times).

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2016, 08:55:50 pm »
+1

The way you build a deck that can play a bunch of terminal payload is similar. Also they both want the ability to but lot of things in one turn.

tristan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +193
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2016, 09:04:27 pm »

The way you build a deck that can play a bunch of terminal payload is similar. Also they both want the ability to but lot of things in one turn.
So does Bridge. Doesn't mean that it has a whole lot in common though with Merchant Guild except for providing coins and an extra buy,
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 21 queries.