Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Remake question  (Read 2720 times)

JThorne

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +604
    • View Profile
Remake question
« on: August 30, 2016, 09:44:04 am »
+1

I'm asking this because I was just bitten twice recently in exactly the same way. I need to check what is, on the average, the better play.

On a Remake board with a clear engine strategy, where you want at least some power $5-$6 cards, should you open Remake/Silver, or Remake/Village, Remake/Warehouse, Remake/Oasis, etc.

I ask because it seems to me that Remake happily changes Estates into Silvers, giving you a lot of economy that you don't have to buy, allowing you to use buys on engine parts.

This doesn't work as well when you draw Remake with no Estates after your first two shuffles!! Not only do you not get the economy, but it's a lot harder to buy things on $2 turns when you're trashing two coppers. It's like T5CS. It can actually make Chapel look bad, and that's hard to do.

I know that it's possible to open Remake/Silver, then remake the Estates into engine parts, but I'm wondering if that's less optimal, in that non-terminal engine parts usually draw and/or cycle, and buying a Silver you won't ultimately need is one more card you'll have to trash later to get thin. Then again, if you draw Silver with Remake after the shuffle, I guess you still get to trash two and buy a $3.

I know there's edge cases and "depends on the kingdom" and all that. I'm just wondering if Remake/Silver should be the default on an engine board.

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
Re: Remake question
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 09:52:01 am »
+2

If you want those $5/$6 cards early, I'd go for Remake/Silver, I think. Having a bit too many Silvers in your deck with Remake present is not quite as bad, because you could also remake those into $4 engine parts if needed (they're usually there).

Remake/Oasis looks worse than Remake/Silver because you want to trash Estates, not discard them. Opening Village is generally meh. Only Remake/Warehouse might be stronger than Remake/Silver, because Remake is such a power card that you would maybe like to sift for it. But that depends on how badly you want those $5/$6 cards.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 09:54:22 am by Aleimon Thimble »
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 10:24:00 am »
+1

"It depends on the board", but you generally want Remake / Silver on boards with power $5s you need to get soon. Keep in mind, Remake can make Estates into literally any of the cards you just named as well, and rarely do you need a Village on the first shuffle. Meanwhile opening Silver increases the chances of either a $5 turn or a Remake 2 cards + $3 buy turn, both of which are a momentum advantage. Eventually if you really want to get rid of the Silver you can make it into another Remake and continue your deck's ascent into thin greatness.

If the board is mostly $3s and $4s maybe you would take Remake / Warehouse to cycle faster, though?
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 11:14:24 am »
+2

Well like, think of it this way.  How many silvers do you plan to buy this game? Ok.  Well silver is strong early and weaker later in the game, while, village is weaker early and stronger later in the game.  So if you plan to buy at least one silver this game, you should get it before the other cards, unless there is something even more earlygame oriented than silver.  Probably there isn't since those tend to be terminal like jack of all trades or sea hag.

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 06:42:24 pm »
+3

According to this site,
Remake / Fishing Village > Remake / Wishing Well > Remake / Village > Remake / Warehouse > Remake / Scheme > Remake / Silver > Remake / Oasis ...
(I know, depends on the board, that's old data, blah blah blah don't care.)

So yes, Remake / engine-component-other-than-Silver can be better than Silver, and perhaps even is most of the time.  I think to answer the "depends on the board" part, you have to look at how beneficial it is to spiking $5 early, the probability in which you can still spike $5 with the engine component, and if there are other tricks to spiking $5 other than paying the old fashioned way for it (Borrow, Ferry, Alms, debt, etc.).

I am VERY surprised Remake / Silver > Remake / Oasis in that list though.  Wouldn't have expected that.

Also I would have thought Remake / Scheme would have been a lot better, cus Remaking twice early is just so so good.

EDIT:
Just open Remake / Ferry, turn Estates into Minions, no need for Silvers
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 06:54:38 pm by Dingan »

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 06:52:09 pm »
+1

That data is from before we had DA, Guilds, and Adventures. I also think players are much better now.

With that said, I think a cycler like oasis is better. If you hit $4 instead of $5, buy another remake. Now, you either trash quicker or remake your remake into a part $5.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 09:42:59 pm by Beyond Awesome »

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2016, 09:37:29 pm »
+1

Why is remake village better than remake silver though????

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2016, 09:43:56 pm »

Because you don't need really villages if you can't get to $5.
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

Limetime

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2016, 09:46:43 pm »

Village never* is the same as nothing first reshuffle.
*I am sure you can find an edge case

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12848
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2016, 12:40:22 pm »
+1

Remake/Village is better than Remake/Silver, not the other way round.

And I bet that it's mostly because people who weren't very good players in general were overrepresented in the Remake/Silver stats. Remake/Village does have some advantages over Remake/Silver, but it's hard to see them being that relevant.

I am VERY surprised Remake / Silver > Remake / Oasis in that list though.  Wouldn't have expected that.

I'm not surprised. If you have both Remake and Oasis in the same hand, you're probably going to discard a Copper to Oasis, and that's super bad.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2016, 03:52:44 pm »

Assuming you eventually do get a Silver, is Remake / Village really better than Remake / Silver? The only thing the early Village gets you is fewer stop cards in the second shuffle. Lowers the chances of Remake missing the shuffle by a lot, which actually now that I'm typing the words on my screen seems probably important enough to be of merit on boards with many of your components being below $5... Like boards with Village on them. Huh.

I'd still probably Remake / Silver if I'm going to eventually get a Silver at all, but there are cases where each of them are the right move.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 03:53:46 pm by Chris is me »
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2016, 06:25:45 pm »

I have remoddeled copper/copper the first time I had remake (even with estate), just to make sure I get remake faster into my hand (probably on boards where getting $5 fast wasn't the biggest of all deals.) I wonder if other people do this.

Limetime

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2016, 10:11:20 pm »
+1

I have remoddeled copper/copper the first time I had remake (even with estate), just to make sure I get remake faster into my hand (probably on boards where getting $5 fast wasn't the biggest of all deals.) I wonder if other people do this.
sometimes its better most of the time its not.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 20 queries.