Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Crown + Storyteller / Black Market  (Read 1889 times)

Willbender

• Pawn
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
Crown + Storyteller / Black Market
« on: August 29, 2016, 06:31:41 am »

I understand that if you've played a card allowing you to play treasures during your buy phase that Crown won't let you play treasures off it, but instead you only get to play actions. The question is when you get to play these actions - is it during or after the resolution of the action that let you play the Crown?

i.e. I play a Storyteller. I play a Crown during the resolution of that card. I choose to play a Woodcutter with the Crown. Do I get the $4 before the Storyteller's resolution (therefore drawing 4 more cards), or do I get it after Storyteller resolves (therefore ending up with $4 instead of the extra 4 cards)?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 06:37:56 am by Willbender »

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1384
    • View Profile
Re: Crown + Storyteller / Black Market
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 06:39:34 am »
+5

The short answer for this particular case is: you draw four cards.

Longer explanation:

Storyteller's abilities all go in sequence. The steps are as follows:

Increment your Actions by 1
Increment your Coins by 1
Play a treasure (optional). Fully resolve that treasure.
Play a second treasure (optional). Fully resolve that treasure.
Play a third treasure (optional). Fully resolve that treasure.
Convert all your +Coin to +Cards.

Crowning the Woodcutter is part of fully resolving Crown, so you do that before going on to the "Convert all your +Coin to +Cards" step.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 12:12:18 pm »
+3

Obviously, what you want to do is a nested tree of Storytellers and Crowns being played in alteration.

Play Storyteller, then Crown, then Storyteller, then Crown, then Storyteller, then Gold, then draw, then play your third Storyteller again, playing a Bank you drew, then playing your second Storyteller again, playing a Crown you drew, playing a Storyteller you drew, playing a Bank, playing that Storyteller again, playing a Bank, playing another Crown to your first Storyteller, then playing a Storyteller to that one, then playing a Crown, then playing a Storyteller, then playing a Horn of Plenty, gaining a Storyteller, then playing a Bank, then re-playing your second Storyteller of the second tree and skipping the third of the second (if you get what i mean), then realize you could have played that thrid Storyteller too, then playing a Crown to that other one, playing the Storyteller you gained before, then playing Bank, drawing the rest of your deck, which is just two Gold, which you use to buy another Crown.

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +410
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 11:52:25 pm »
+5

Obviously, what you want to do is a nested tree of Storytellers and Crowns being played in alteration.

Play Storyteller, then Crown, then Storyteller, then Crown, then Storyteller, then Gold, then draw, then play your third Storyteller again, playing a Bank you drew, then playing your second Storyteller again, playing a Crown you drew, playing a Storyteller you drew, playing a Bank, playing that Storyteller again, playing a Bank, playing another Crown to your first Storyteller, then playing a Storyteller to that one, then playing a Crown, then playing a Storyteller, then playing a Horn of Plenty, gaining a Storyteller, then playing a Bank, then re-playing your second Storyteller of the second tree and skipping the third of the second (if you get what i mean), then realize you could have played that thrid Storyteller too, then playing a Crown to that other one, playing the Storyteller you gained before, then playing Bank, drawing the rest of your deck, which is just two Gold, which you use to buy another Crown.
Congratulations, you have managed to piss off the rest of your players by taking the most complicated route to $5 possible. I finished my dinner while you were doing that. Jeff, what did you do during all this?
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +559
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 06:40:50 am »
+4

Needs more Ventures. 6/10.
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 20 queries.