Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Let's Discuss Landmarks: Basilica  (Read 2260 times)

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5161
    • View Profile
Let's Discuss Landmarks: Basilica
« on: August 26, 2016, 09:53:20 am »
+2

Did you know that Basilica translates to "King's Court"? Those poor Greek Dominion players must be so confused.

When I first saw this, I thought I must have read it wrong. Then I read again. It works each time you buy something? Like in, multiple times per turn? But that's broken!

Well is it? Probably not, or the card would not exist. One interesting parallel is Goons; like there, you get a VP bonus for buying multiple cheap things. Goons has taught us that you don't usually want to buy Copper even for 2 VP except in the late game, so I think that is something to keep in mind when playing with this. Of course Basilica works slightly differenty because every 2 VP you take you also deny your opponent, so it's slightly stronger. It also combos nicely with Wine Merchant.

- Would the Landmark be better with a "Once per turn"? Why not?
- In which ways do you think this will play differently from Goons?
- There's a neat trick with overpaying where you get the 2 VP, and the value for your money. Jut make sure to resolve on-buys in the right order. Yes, this is not a question. Sorry.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Discuss Landmarks: Basilica
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 10:10:04 am »

I wonder how different this would play if it had the wine merchant wording. As it is, (and not having actually played with it) it seems like it exacerbates first turn advantage in an engine game with multiple buys.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 10:52:21 am »
+1

The reason this isn't broken is because there's only 3 chips per player here. By the time you have an elaborate many buy engine the chips will be mostly gone. Still important but not like Goons level powerful.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 12:30:16 pm »
+1

the landmarks that offer a sort of menial and finite amount of vp for jumping through a hoop are interesting but also i don't really like them. this could be a reward for someone who tries to make an engine that happens to quickly be able to buy more than one thing per turn, or that makes a lot more money than it needs one way or another. it might also be a crappy consolation prize if you have to open ambassador/-
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 02:11:22 pm »
+3

Basilica makes debt cards much sweeter.  Buy an Overlord, get 2 VP, pay off debt.  It feels too easy.

I don't think "once per turn" would affect Basilica much.  Usually the VP is already gone by the time you can get 4 VP in a turn.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 20 queries.