Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: 2016 Treasure Chest Design Contest - Part 10: Event (Results!)  (Read 24835 times)

Destry

• Navigator
  • Respect: +75
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 Treasure Chest Design Contest - Part 10: Event (Voting!)
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2016, 12:30:18 pm »
+1

Would Ambush/Hired Help as separate entries split the vote for that event? Or is everyone voting for one voting for the other? Seems like they should be combined to simplify things.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 12:31:27 pm by Destry »

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2016, 12:45:30 pm »
+2

I agree with combining them. Name feels like a less significant thing than the effect. I prefer Ambush if we had to stick to one name.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 Treasure Chest Design Contest - Part 10: Event
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2016, 01:27:23 pm »
+1

Thoughts:

Ambush
Types: Event
Cost: $2
+1 Action
+1 Buy

Return to your Action phase.
Meh. There's a reason that Villa is limited in its use by pile size, and that's a good thing.

Appraise
Cost: $0
You may discard a card costing at least $3. If you do, +1 Buy, and cards cost $1 less this turn, but not less than $0.
I like this variant on cost reduction Event, but I'm not sure how often it will be useful. You have to have a $3+ card in hand that is worse than Bridge with a single buy and no money. I guess it works for terminal collision, and in the late game with victory cards. The victory card thing is a bit automatic, and otherwise it's too narrow I think.

Blackmail
Cost: $5
Gain a card costing up to $4. Each other player reveals the bottom card of their deck and gains a Curse if it isn't a Curse. All players put any cards gained from this Event on the bottom of their deck.
This is too much better than IGG I believe.

Coin Collection
You may discard a Copper, a Silver and a Gold. If you do, gain a Province.
I don't really get it. Copper, Silver, Gold is already $6, so the effect is pretty minor. Basically +$2 if you have the right set in hand. It's just not very interesting, and we already have Palace for these sets.

Credit
Take up to <9> and gain a card costing exactly $3 less than the amount of debt you took.
If I remember correctly, Capital was somewhat like this first. I think I would like this better if it cost $3 and would just give you the cost in debt. It's okay, but I'm not excited.

Depository
+1 Buy
+$8

You may not buy any victory cards this turn. At the end of your turn, if you bought at most 1 card, gain its $ cost in VP and debt +<2>. Otherwise, take <9>.
Gaining a Platinum T1 is just bonkers? And oh yeah, you also get 9 VP for it! What the hell?

Exploit
Cost: $7
Turn your Journey Token over (it starts face up) and reveal the top three cards of your deck.

If it's face up, gain a copy of each of the three cards.
If it's face down, trash all three cards.
Wording is iffy. It seems a lot weaker than Pilgrimage in general. Though I suppose it can gain Provinces. But that's mostly a "okay, I'm losing, let's hope for dumb luck" card... not a fan.

Forgery
Cost: $4
+1 Buy

You may reveal an Action card from your hand. If you do, gain a copy of that card.
This is kind of neat. The cost seems rather steep and could maybe be lowered a bit.

Goldrush
Cost: <4>
Gain the top card of the Goldrush pile.

Setup: Take the top card from each kingdom supply pile. Arrange them by $ cost first and name second to form the Goldrush pile.

Clarification: The Goldrush pile is not in the supply. Cards in the Goldrush are "from" their original piles, not the Goldrush pile, so e.g. Ambassador will return a card which was gained using Goldrush to its original pile.  Debt and potion costs are ignored when arranging the Goldrush pile.
Interesting idea. I suppose the cheapest is on top (that's not quite clear)? That unfortunately makes is likely that the pile is never touched. Also it needs clarifications on how it works with 3-pile endings.

Hired Help
+1 Action
+1 Buy

Exacly the same as Ambush? Funny.

Insider's Deal
Once per turn: Take up to <6>. Gain a card costing exactly $1 per <> taken and a Copper, putting each on top of your deck.
A cross between Royal Seal and Banquet. I think it's balanced and fairly interesting.

Invent
Cost: $1
+1 Buy
Once per turn: Flip your Journey Token over. If it's face up, +$3
I think I saw this before somewhere. I don't like that it breaks other Journey token cards, and the effec is not very interesting. I'd rather have Save, which does something similar.

Moon Bridge
Cost: $1 <2>
Once per turn: +2 Buys, and all cards (including cards in players' hands) cost $1 less this turn, but not less than $0.
I don't get the debt on this - don't you have to pay off the debt to make use of the card except in weird edge cases? I think a card like this is either too good or completely useless. This already cancels out its cost when you buy 2 of them and is therefore too good.

Offering
You may trash a Gold, a Silver and a Copper from your hand. If you did, gain a Province, a Duchy and an Estate.
This is a more interesting variant of the think we saw earlier. I kind of like it, but it might not be fun to play.

Prophecy
At the start of the Clean-up phase:

+5 Cards
Discard 5 cards.
So big Scouting Party? I don't know; Scouting Party is fine, I don't think we need another one.

Rally
Cost: <3>
+1 Buy

Put a card from your discard pile on top of your deck.

Renovate
Cost: $3
Trash a card you have in play. Gain a card costing exactly $2 more, putting it on top of your deck.
That's not too bad. Like it is to Bonfire as Remodel is to Steward.

Cost: <8>
Gain a card costing up to $5. Put your deck in your discard pile.
It's like reverse Annex. I guess it could be okay.

Sustain Endeavor
Once per turn: Set aside a card you have in play and play it at the start of next turn.
A Prince-Event. Well Prince is fun. This might be too easy, but I'm not sure. Worth testing definitely.

Tavern
+1 Buy

Put a non-Reserve Treasure or Action card from your hand on your Tavern mat.
If it is a Treasure you may call it at the beginning of your Buy phase.
If it is an Action you may call it at the beginning of your turn to play it.
I assume the Treasure part should also end in "to play it"? Otherwise it would be rather useless. I have the feeling that there are a lot of Events in here to deal with terminal collision. I wonder why that is.

Toll Bridge
+1 Buy

All cards cost $2 less this turn but not less than $0. Each other player chooses one: draw a card, or +1 VP.
Cost reduction is another common theme. This here is way to good in megaturns. Just buy 7 Market Squares, have a $4 hand, buy all the Provinces.

Tollhouse
Each player with <> gains a Curse. If they do, they lose all <>.

In games containing this, when you shuffle, take <1>.
[/quote]
This is a kind of interesting way to do an attack. Of course it's political, but not overly so.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2016, 04:36:51 pm »
+1

Ambush
+1 Action
+1 Buy
Hired Help
+1 Action
+1 Buy
As mentioned previously, I have tested a card similar to this and liked it.  You might think the limitations of Villa are essential (you gain a Villa, and only 10 Villas per game), but I assert that they are not.  If you're willing to turn silvers into necropolises, Villas are probably a thing you wanted in your deck.

Appraise
You may discard a card costing at least $3. If you do, +1 Buy, and cards cost $1 less this turn, but not less than $0.
I like that this event limits itself, because you need to discard increasingly expensive cards to make it stack.  Of course, non-drawing highways are often just bad.

Blackmail
Gain a card costing up to $4. Each other player reveals the bottom card of their deck and gains a Curse if it isn't a Curse. All players put any cards gained from this Event on the bottom of their deck.
This is obviously stronger than IGG, which without on-gain isn't even worth $2.  Although the fact that you bottom-deck the $4 puts up a giant "blackmail me!" sign.  That's cute.  A bit political.

Coin Collection
This is going along with the "eat your vegetables" theme of Empires, but I feel it's missing something.  Empires makes basic cards exciting, but this just makes them more powerful without making them more exciting.

Credit
Take up to <9> and gain a card costing exactly $3 less than the amount of debt you took.
Not that either of these are bad, but Overlord is amazing, and I have trouble seeing past the fact that these are not as awesome as Overlord.

Depository
+1 Buy
+$8

You may not buy any victory cards this turn. At the end of your turn, if you bought at most 1 card, gain its $ cost in VP and debt +<2>. Otherwise, take <9>.
This lets you get an arbitrary amount of VP on your first turn.  I'm sure this was meant to have a "once per turn" clause, but it's still abusive to earn 5 VP every turn.

Exploit
Turn your Journey Token over (it starts face up) and reveal the top three cards of your deck.

I don't like that this is so transparently swingy.

Forgery
+1 Buy

You may reveal an Action card from your hand. If you do, gain a copy of that card.
Play an action, or keep it in hand to make copies?  Neat choice.  Makes me want to have big turns where I hit $8 and have a nice action remaining in hand.  Could copy dead terminals but if you're over-terminaled maybe you don't want more of them.

Goldrush

Setup: Take the top card from each kingdom supply pile. Arrange them by $ cost first and name second to form the Goldrush pile.

Clarification: The Goldrush pile is not in the supply. Cards in the Goldrush are "from" their original piles, not the Goldrush pile, so e.g. Ambassador will return a card which was gained using Goldrush to its original pile.  Debt and potion costs are ignored when arranging the Goldrush pile.
It's a neat concept, but I wouldn't want to pay extra for $2s just to get access to the $3s and $4s, especially when opponents also get access.  I thought maybe you'd buy a few in a row, to get to important cards without letting your opponent reach them, but then you could just buy those cards from the supply directly.

Hmm, with this around, I might actually get Transmute.

Insider's Deal
Once per turn: Take up to <6>. Gain a card costing exactly $1 per <> taken and a Copper, putting each on top of your deck.
This is pretty awesome.  At first, I thought it was too strong, but it's comparable to Borrow.  I'd probably buy this a lot, and it would be terrible but feel so good.

Invent
+1 Buy
This would have wide-reaching and interesting effects on games.  Sometimes you use this to make your deck spikier, sometimes to make it smoother.  $5- and $6-cost cards won't have as much opportunity cost.  I'm not sure I like the effect on the opening, as $3/$5 is usually a lot better than $2/$6.

Moon Bridge
Once per turn: +2 Buys, and all cards (including cards in players' hands) cost $1 less this turn, but not less than $0.
Cost reduction is not that exciting when it doesn't stack.  Often this is a cheaper once-per-turn Traveling Fair.

Offering
You may trash a Gold, a Silver and a Copper from your hand. If you did, gain a Province, a Duchy and an Estate.
Now this has some of the zing that Coin Collection was missing.  It's not very strong, but you'd definitely still buy it in the late game.  You might even adjust some of the earlier strategy, to make sure you have the treasure to trash later on.

Prophecy

+5 Cards
Discard 5 cards.
(Surely this was meant to say at the end of cleanup.)  This is a much stronger Scouting Party that costs $2 more and a buy.  I think that makes it different enough to be worth trying.

Rally
+1 Buy

I like this.  Herald's overpay effect gets its chance to shine, without being overshadowed by the rest of Herald.

Renovate
Trash a card you have in play. Gain a card costing exactly $2 more, putting it on top of your deck.
I think the comparison to Remodel is slightly off--you can't renovate Estates.  You might use this an alternative to Bonfire, turning coppers into hamlets/duchesses/whatever.  Better use: turn $3s into $5s.  Develop Estate, Renovate Develop, sounds great!

Sustain Endeavor
Once per turn: Set aside a card you have in play and play it at the start of next turn.
I have no idea how this would turn out.  Playing a Wharf every turn, definitely worth it.  Playing a Merchant Ship every turn, lol.  Well, you probably don't buy this every turn.

Tavern
+1 Buy

You can use this as a Save that also grants extra actions, or as a variant of Bonfire.  It's definitely underpriced, might be good at $3.

Toll Bridge
+1 Buy

All cards cost $2 less this turn but not less than $0. Each other player chooses one: draw a card, or +1 VP.
That isn't a good drawback for making Provinces cost $0.

Tollhouse

Similar to Blackmail, this hands out a curse once per shuffle.  I am not sure I like this debt mechanic.  If I shuffle during cleanup, I'm vulnerable, but if I shuffle while playing a Smithy, I'm safe.  That's weird to wrap my head around.  Also, if I hit $5 right on the turn that my opponent is vulnerable, that feels sad.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 Treasure Chest Design Contest - Part 10: Event
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2016, 09:01:46 am »

Ambush
+1 Action
+1 Buy

I like the name better than Hired Help. Weird that they both got submitted, but I like the card.

Appraise
Looks like it would be too hard to achive, and more of a consolation prize for that extra terminal/duchy.

Blackmail
The tortured wording is annoying and it looks really good.

Coin Collection
Meh, I like Prophecy better.

Credit
Could work, but for a seems pretty steep.

Depository
+1 Buy
+$8

Weird and broken.

Exploit

Really swingy, and doesn't seem to compare well to Pilgramage.

Forgery
+1 Buy

Looks cool, reminds me of my version of Ben_King's Sculptor.

Goldrush

It's certainly unique, but I don't know if it's worth it. If Pearl Diver gets stuck at the top than no-one's gonna go for it.

Hired Help
+1 Action
+1 Buy

Seems good. I do have a mysterious sense of Deja Vu though...

Insider's Deal
I like this better than the other one, whatever that was called.

Invent
+1 Buy
I like it, but as other's said it might enable i.e Pilgramage too much.

Moon Bridge
The cost seems unessarct, and the card as a whole seems weak.

Offering
I like it.

Prophecy

+5 Cards
Discard 5 cards.
Boring and unnessacary.

Rally
+1 Buy

I like how the cost can let you top-deck something even after you bought something. This might be my favorite.

Renovate
Seems really good, a cost of might be better.

This one needs more to sell me on it. Overlord seems sooo much better.

Sustain Endeavor
I also like this, but it gets cwazy with durations.

Tavern
+1 Buy

Okay, It's cool, but I don't know wether it actually works.

Toll Bridge
+1 Buy

Cool, and I wan't it to work, but the lack of a Once per turn makes me feall uneasy. cost reduction also seems insane.

Tollhouse

I like the below-the line, and the card.
[/quote]
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

mith

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: mith
  • Respect: +778
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2016, 05:21:00 pm »

I agree with combining them. Name feels like a less significant thing than the effect. I prefer Ambush if we had to stick to one name.

Since they are exactly the same effect, for the purpose of determining finalists I will count them as a combined entry (their vote count will be the number of voters who picked at least one of them). If they don't end up on the same count, the higher count will be chosen as the name, otherwise we'll decide on the name if it wins.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 05:24:43 pm by mith »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2016, 09:10:14 pm »

One of these is mine.

Ambush
+1 Action
+1 Buy

I think Villa already covers this sufficiently.

Appraise

Sounds decent to me, but I'm worried that it may make greening too easy, since it turns Duchies and Provinces into almost-Highways.  A neat thing is that it keeps itself in check and doesn't really allow you to bring Provinces to $0 (unless there are Colonies, in which case you can't bring Colonies to $0) because eventually there won't be a card costing at least $3 to discard.

Blackmail

I dunno, it doesn't inspire me.

Coin Collection

Kinda sounds too easy.

Credit

Wording could use some cleaning up, but the intention is clear enough.  It sounds fine to me.  Should be interesting for players to decide when the debt is worth getting the card early.

Depository
+1 Buy
+$8

Wording could use a lot of cleaning up.  If I'm parsing it correctly, you can gain pretty much any non-Victory card with a coin cost of $X along with a bonus of X VP, but at a cost of <X+2>.  The VP value here is kind of ridiculous and, at first glance, it sounds like a no-brainer.  The debt (which can't be paid off this turn) may be a little tricky to handle, but it doesn't sound too bad to me.  The "otherwise" seems like unnecessary power, especially on a final turn -- it's just an extra $8 to help you 3-pile.

I think this would be far too powerful.  The VP return is just too much.

Exploit

Weird, but might be interesting.  Buy it early to trash junk, buy it again late to boost.  Could be pretty swingy though.  It's tough to get $7 early; the first time you can afford it, you're probably risking trashing some important early buys.  And a late buy for the gain is really risky without some topdeck control unless you have other trashing available (in which case, you wouldn't buy this in the first place).  I think this would be better at a lower cost, but it could be fun.

Forgery
+1 Buy

Hmm.  A key drawback is that you can't play the action card you want to copy, which you usually want to do.  If it was a terminal you were unable to play, then gaining more copies of it may be a bad idea anyway.  But I can imagine use cases where this is handy, saving you a buy and possibly giving you a cost reduction.  Could be interesting.

Goldrush

I assume it should be ordered cheapest to most expensive?  Using Debt is nice here because it means it can be OK even when you're gaining a $2... that said, it's still gonna be rare where that's better than just buying the $2 outright, so I wonder how often Goldrush will be ignored simply because nobody wants to take that hit.

Hired Help
+1 Action
+1 Buy

I think Villa is enough.

Insider's Deal

Defer payment in exchange for gaining a Copper.  Sounds OK.

Invent
+1 Buy

I like it.  It's like a coin token, but more nuanced.

Moon Bridge

The debt cost is usually going to be meaningless because you need to pay it off before buying anything else.  So, you pay $3 and get a $1 discount.  That means you need to buy 3 things to break even.  You might do it anyway just for the +Buy, and you might be able to buy even more stuff for a real deal.  I think this is OK, better without the debt.

Offering

Very similar to Coin Collection.  This is a bit more extreme, trashing the Treasure and gaining more VP cards.  I think that makes it more interesting because you can't keep doing it without refilling on Treasure, and using this clogs your deck a lot more.  Actually seems pretty interesting.

Prophecy

+5 Cards
Discard 5 cards.

At the start of the clean-up phase?  Isn't that pretty much meaningless? 

Assuming it's at the end, so you're setting up your next hand... it's pretty similar to Scouting Party, but with a lot more AP.  I'm not really a fan.

Rally
+1 Buy

I'm a fan of top-decking what you want on-demand, though I wonder if <3> is too much.  Might be worthwhile for reliability though!

Renovate

Sounds good to me.  The exact increase is important, and top-deck and the need to re-buy it sufficiently differentiates it from Remodel, IMO.

I think I like Credit more, which is more flexible but lacks the Chancellor effect.

Sustain Endeavor

I don't like how messy this is with Durations, especially the ones that can last more than one turn.

Tavern
+1 Buy

I'm OK with this (I think I submitted an Event like this before) but the wording could probably be simplified.

Toll Bridge
+1 Buy

I think this can be abused too easily on a board with +Buy.  All you need is $4 to buy this 4 times and Provinces are free.  Other players are getting a benefit too, but that's meaningless if you have enough +Buy to piledrive the Provinces.  It's not trivial to get all that +Buy, but it's often not difficult either.  It just usually doesn't come into play because amassing +Buy usually means diminishing returns.

Tollhouse

I think this could get political.  Player A finishes their turn, reshuffles, takes a debt.  Now player B can choose to buy Tollhouse to curse Player A specifically.  It's rare for this to hit each other player (in games with 3+ players) because a lot of cards will desync the players' reshuffles after the first few turns, and it's almost guaranteed that a player will pay off their debt on their next turn anyway.  This is more interesting with debt cards.

To the designer, if you don't mind the minor politics inherent in this design, I'd suggest a slight tweak -- make it cost $0 but add "Take <2>" to the end.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2016, 04:03:42 am »

Ambush/Hired Help- agree with eH. It's okay, but we have Villa for this. This version is almost like buying an action for $2, except you can also play your treasures and buy other card(s) before buying Hired Hambush. So it'd be super powerful with Library/Watchtower.

Appraise- I think this is my favorite of the cost reduction events here. This drawback is a good limitation I think.

Blackmail- It's okay I guess, but I'm not a big fan of attack-events.

Coin Collection / Offering- I agree with others than Offering is better balanced and more interesting, but even with Offering, it'll probably only get bought at the very end of the game.

Credit / Report / Insider's Deal- We have Capital for using debt to buy non-debt cards. Doing that another way is okay, but these aren't different/interesting enough for me.

Depository- crazy

Exploit- too risky. Pilgrimage does this way better.

Forgery- I seen this idea in fan cards a bunch of times, but I never liked it much. I mean it's okay, but I want to play my action cards.

Goldrush- I like the idea. There is the problem that other have pointed out, but it should be fixable.

Invent- boring and OP with other journey token cards.

(skipping a few because I need to go to bed)
Rally- I like it.

Renovate- seems good

Sustain Endeavor- I like it. Duration problem is easily fixed by excluding duration cards.

Tavern- seems okay, but too similar to Save.

Toll Bridge- needs "once per turn", but if it had that, it'd be cool.

Tollhouse- <see my comment on Blackmail> I like this one better than Blackmail at least.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 02:20:38 am by LibraryAdventurer »

mith

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2016, 05:13:26 pm »
+1

Results:

TBA

mith

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2016, 05:13:54 pm »
+1

Renovate

Rally
+1 Buy

Offering

Forgery
+1 Buy

Appraise

Submit your votes to me via this forum's messaging system. To vote, give each card a score from 0 to 10. (It is recommended, but not required, that you give at least one card a 0 and at least one card a 10, to maximize your voting input.) The winner will be the card with the highest sum. Feel free to discuss the cards (but not your scores) in this thread.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 Treasure Chest Design Contest - Part 10: Event (Finalists!)
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2016, 05:16:45 pm »

All seem like good candidates. Appraise still seems weak and not interesting enough.

It's a shame my Ambush didn't through, but it got more votes than Hired Help. Heh, that's still funny.

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2016, 03:47:21 pm »
+1

I just realized that Renovate(Copper->Embargo)/Gold (embargo on Silver) would be a very strong 3/4 opening.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2016, 03:50:29 pm »

Excited to see the winner on this one.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2016, 12:24:28 am »
+1

Man, I thought my submission for this one (Sustain Endeavor) had a good chance of at least getting to the finals. Wonder how much better it would've done if it excluded durations. I hoped Gold Rush would get to the finals too. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to fix the problem with the cheap cards on top.

I think my favorite of the finalists is Rally, except there doesn't seem much point in having +1 Buy and a debt cost on the same event.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 07:23:22 pm by LibraryAdventurer »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2016, 05:38:47 pm »

I think my favorite of the finalists is Rally, except there doesn't seem much point in having +1 Buy and a debt cost on the same event.

You could pay off the debt and buy more stuff. :P

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2016, 11:59:35 am »
+2

Based on the comments people made on my card (Insider's Deal), I thought that it would be at least a finalist for sure. Oh well. Hopefully I'll get into at least the finals one day.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1470
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2016, 07:17:44 pm »

yeah... but the point of debt is to pay it later, so if you want people to buy other stuff afterwards, just increase the prize
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2016, 07:21:16 pm »

yeah... but the point of debt is to pay it later, so if you want people to buy other stuff afterwards, just increase the prize

I think it works this way because debt cost means you can always use it, even when you have no money, while +buy means you can use it more than once if you are willing to pay off some debt immediately.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2016, 02:49:44 am »

Really? I think Rally is the weakest entry. It doesn't explore any new design space.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2016, 02:53:10 am »

Renovate or offering imo

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2016, 07:00:35 am »

Really? I think Rally is the weakest entry. It doesn't explore any new design space.
Yeah, but it combines some old design spaces into something cool (IMO).

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2016, 05:12:51 pm »
+2

Heh, Ambush got exactly one vote more than (my) Hired Help, and I only voted for Ambush (based on mith's comment about the name - since I knew my name sucked). So if I'd voted for my own instead it would have 'won' that contest. And still not been a finalist of course.

The card's idea is pretty obvious - so obvious theta had literally the exact same idea - turn your $ into actions at a poor exchange rate. Generally +$2 is better than +1 action - heck more often than not +$1 is better than +1 action, so you probably aren't going to build a strong engine out of this, but since it lets your engine not stall on actions as easily you can build a more aggressive deck with it.

In retrospect I think that I should have made it cost $3 and give +2 actions instead. That's better value for money, but a more interesting decision I think, especially if you have only a terminal drawer in hand.

But really I came up with a MUCH better idea in the shower one day after submissions had closed, although I can't remember exactly what it was any more. Something to do with debt... Eh, oh well.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2016, 05:27:54 pm »

Hey Mith, do you think you could post the results soon?

mith

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2016, 04:59:35 pm »
+2

Results:

Renovate (Archetype) - 106
Rally (eHalcyon) - 80
Forgery (King Leon) - 78
Offering (Destry) - 58
Appraise (trivialknot) - 49

Congrats, Archetype!

(One benefit to being so busy and dropping the ball on this - more votes this round!)

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 Treasure Chest Design Contest - Part 10: Event (Results!)
« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2016, 05:52:23 pm »
+1

Thanks, I'll get to work finding an Image ASAP!
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 22 queries.