Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: What's the current/new fasted strategy?  (Read 2818 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
What's the current/new fasted strategy?
« on: August 22, 2016, 04:01:09 pm »
+1

This has been discussed before, but not since pre-Adventures I think....

Given a game where EVERY Kingdom card is available in the supply, what do you go for? I assume it's different than the "empty the supply on turn 2" strategy, since that requires perfect shuffle luck. So what strategy do you go with if you can buy any cards in the game?

Oh, and I'd say this includes every Event being available, but no Landmarks, since Landmarks aren't a strategy, they're rule changes that change what the strategy should be.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1384
    • View Profile
Re: What's the current/new fasted strategy?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 04:09:30 pm »

I go for Black Market and wait for the game to crash. :D

More seriously, are the normal rules still in effect? Same number of provinces, 3-pile still ends it, that sort of thing?
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 04:09:51 pm »

Whatever that Donate Feodum rush strategy that gets all the Colonies in like no time flat, I pick that one.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 04:10:59 pm »

Ironworks/garden/village/beggar, I think

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5161
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 04:22:25 pm »
+3

With Shelters, you probably do something like TFair/Advance, gain Border Village/something and topdeck and explode form there. You should be able to get something like this going soon enough; it doesn't require a lot of shuffle luck.

Without Shelters, do the same, but your first turn now goes Alms for Villa, TFair, Advance Villa... Maybe you want to inherit something soon to get even more crazy.

EDIT: I'm reasonably certain that you can end the game with worst possible shuffle luck by turn 4 or something. Probably turn 3, maybe turn 2.

NEXT EDIT: Yes, this should almost guarantee a win on turn 2.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 04:30:14 pm by faust »
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1609
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 05:16:06 pm »
+2

1. Baker/Borrow/Inherit Ironworks
2. EEEC; play Estate 3 times gaining Estate; buy Donate, trashing all but EEEEEE
3. EEEEE; Deck=E; E(Rats), E(Magpie), E(E), E(E), E(E), autopile Magpie, E(E), E(E), autopile Rats

Aw man, turn 3 is just too slow.

EDIT: The order of doing stuff depends a little on the shuffle, but you should be able to do it anyway since everything you have is a cantrip.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 05:24:31 pm by singletee »

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5161
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2016, 05:40:15 pm »
+4

I should mention that, if we're playing with ALL the Events, we're also playing with Tax, so that means that some things might not work as intended.

In general I think Empires will cause a much greater variety in game length. It has stuff that speeds things up like Advance, and then there's stuff like Tax and Bandit Fort that can really slow things down.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

thespaceinvader

• Minion
  • Respect: +120
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2016, 06:04:45 am »

1. Baker/Borrow/Inherit Ironworks
2. EEEC; play Estate 3 times gaining Estate; buy Donate, trashing all but EEEEEE
3. EEEEE; Deck=E; E(Rats), E(Magpie), E(E), E(E), E(E), autopile Magpie, E(E), E(E), autopile Rats

Aw man, turn 3 is just too slow.

EDIT: The order of doing stuff depends a little on the shuffle, but you should be able to do it anyway since everything you have is a cantrip.
Well, I was gonna say Rats/Fortress/Upgrade but I'm pretty sure that can't do game end in 3 turns...

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2016, 08:17:27 am »

Masterpiece/Feodum is pretty awesome. Worker's Village/Goons.

Don't forget Counting House/Artificer.
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2016, 11:23:11 pm »

I'm sure someone can come up with an optimization for alternating Masterpiece and Delve buys for a Feodum strategy.  Or just Baker token/Borrow into Goons, then start buying engine parts.  Maybe give Market Square/Donate a try.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

JThorne

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +604
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2016, 09:10:05 am »

Omitting landmarks seems arbitrary. Yes, they change the rules, but so do a number of kingdom cards and events, such as Baker which makes everyone start with a coin token and Tax with makes every action supply pile start with a debt token. Even Lost City changes the rules since your starting hand could theoretically contain six cards.

Maybe it would be more appropriate to list the fastest kingdom, wherein all cards/events/landmarks are available and you're not allowed to include more than three events/landmarks. The turn 1 win example is pretty hard to beat, except it includes far more actions than most people ever play with.

Of course, the real underlying question is "why?" To call this the fastest "strategy" is implying that this tells you something important about the speed or efficacy of certain Dominion cards in relation to playing the game itself, which these sorts of puzzles generally don't do, since any one missing piece often makes the whole thing fall apart. When deciding on a strategy, you probably shouldn't look at a board and try to figure out if it matches a speed-win puzzle solution. The odds aren't good.

If you're talking about the fastest strategy in terms of the actual game, the puzzles do remind you of one important thing, which is that certain cards provide opportunities for extremely quick three-piling, such as Villa, Rats and Forum, cost reduction, Traveling Fair, etc. Sometimes you can look at a kingdom and realize that the winning score, and total number of turns, could be in single digits.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 20 queries.