Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: World Boardgaming Championships 2016 Dominion tournament recap  (Read 7768 times)

Orange

• 2012 WBC Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Orange
  • 2012 WBC Champion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
+6

In this thread, I'll recap my experience at the 2016 WBC Dominion tournament.  Please join in with comments and strategies for each of the kingdoms in the event.

For the 7th straight year, I played in the Dominion tournament at the World Boardgaming Championships.  The event runs for four rounds.  Players are randomly sorted into tables of four (yes, four-player games) to play a pair of games with predetermined kingdoms.  These kingdoms are not revealed by the Game Master until players are seated for the round.  Order of play is reversed in game 2.  Advancement points (AP) are awarded for 1st (8 ), 2nd (5), 3rd (2), and 4th (0) place finishes, and all players are ranked by AP after each round (with round VP as tiebreaker).  A certain number advance to repeat the process until a final four finish things up the same way.  I've done pretty well in this event.  We typically have 90-130 players, and I've been 1st, 5th, 4th, and 2nd the last four years.

Due to a varying degrees of familiarity with the game and number of copies available, players were given an option in the opening round--play Base only or Base+Prosperity.  I suspect the competition is softer on the Base only side, but I love Prosperity so I opted for that this year.  A table next to me had the 2013, 2014, and 2015 champs, and the unluckiest guy in the building in the fourth seat!

Here's game 1.  A bit later I'll share what happened at my table and then post the next game.

Preliminary Round Game 1 (Base + Prosperity option)
2 Cellar
3 Trade Route, Village
4 Monument, Spy, Talisman
5 Contraband, Council Room, Library, Vault
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 08:49:47 am by Orange »

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
Re: World Boardgaming Championships 2016 Dominion tournament recap
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 07:59:26 am »
+2

I have no idea how to olay this. I think councilroom bm, given that it is a 4 player game

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 08:31:49 am »
+4

I think Vault BM is the right play here if Council Rooms get picked up. If even one CR is played from the other 3 players, Vault + Silver is a guaranteed Province. Two CR plays and it's always a Province. Just Silver / Silver, two or three Vaults and hope for the best?

In two player there's more of an argument for something with Village, Monument, Talisman, but in 4P ain't nobody got time for that.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Orange

• 2012 WBC Champion
  • 2012 WBC Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 08:48:53 am »

I think played this one well.  2/5 Cellar/Vault, Vault to Gold, Gold to Province.  Silver with $3 or $4 plus I mixed in a Monument or two.  I was surprised to get edged out 30-29-27-X in this one.  The winner seemed to never draw Monument with Vault, or have either miss the shuffle.

On to Game 2:

Preliminary Round Game 2 (Base + Prosperity option)
2 Moat
3 Loan, Watchtower
4 Militia, Remodel, Worker's Village
5 Hoard, Laboratory, Market, Rabble

Chris is me

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 09:00:11 am »
+1

I'm never sure how viable engines are in 4P so I would probably lose this tournament.

Lining up your terminals is going to be hard with such weak trashing and constant Militia attacks, so Lab is your primary draw here for sure. There's an argument for sprinkling in two Watchtowers in with several Workers' Villages (which you need for other terminals), because Miltia will be so abundant anyway.

You open Miltia / Watchtower I'm pretty sure (dead drawing Miltia isn't a huge deal with three other people playing it), then you grab a Loan, WVs on 4, Labs on 5 for awhile. Maybe another Watchtower. If you're lucky you can straight up skip Silver here, get 2 Golds once you draw enough with Lab and then a few Platinum, start greening at a single Colony per turn. Rabble and Remodel might be nice too but when do you get it? Remodel you definitely can't buy early but eventually it makes your Loan a Lab and your Estates into WV / Watchtower.

bug me on discord

they/them

navical

• Golem
  • Respect: +268
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 10:19:48 am »
+2

Are these Colony games?

Orange

• 2012 WBC Champion
  • 2012 WBC Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2016, 11:25:03 am »
+1

Are these Colony games?

No, neither preliminary round game included Colony & Platinum.

Chris is me

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2016, 11:49:35 am »
+1

I don't know why I assumed Game 1 was Provinces and Game 2 was Colony... I'm off my game today I guess. Building to 1 or 2 Provinces depends on the pace of everyone else really; you'll have plenty of Buys in either case I guess. You probably don't have to try as hard to skip Silver as a result. I still like Militia / Watchtower to open.

bug me on discord

they/them

JThorne

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +604
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2016, 10:43:45 am »
+1

Militia kills BM, so any solution has to be enginey, but 4P complicates that. I'm not sure what role Watchtower plays. There's no disappearing money and no junking; is topdecking your own buys/gains really that good?

With only one village, the 4-way WV split is probably going to be the difference-maker, so whether you load up on WV/Rabble or Labs is going to depend on how quickly your opponents can hit $5 often enough. You have to be ready to buy whatever's left, and watch for piles.

I have never not been disappointed in Loan. Bleah. I guess you gotta do what you gotta do when it comes to trashing, but I don't have to like it.

Is the draw good enough to be worth buying one Hoard, using it to buy Province/gain Gold and then remodel the Gold in the next shuffle? If you're drawing deck, maybe. I don't think double-Province buys are viable in 4P with this kingdom. Heck, Remodelling $3s to Duchies might be the difference-maker.

4P is rough. To mitigate "hey, the game's already over!" syndrome, we always play 4P with 16 Provinces IRL; 4 each, just like 2P. Sure, the games sometimes end on piles, but pile control is a more interesting element than just losing the race to 3 Provinces.

Chris is me

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2016, 11:20:58 am »
+2

Militia kills BM, so any solution has to be enginey, but 4P complicates that. I'm not sure what role Watchtower plays. There's no disappearing money and no junking; is topdecking your own buys/gains really that good?

Little known fact: Watchtower has a top half! Occasionally getting +4 Cards when you have it + WV in hand (late game) or just +4 Cards terminal (Early game) is pretty important. And when you draw it dead, it still does a useful thing, especially in a game that is fast like a 4P game top decking does help.

bug me on discord

they/them

JThorne

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +604
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2016, 04:48:16 pm »
+3

Little known fact: Watchtower has a top half! Occasionally getting +4 Cards when you have it + WV in hand (late game) or just +4 Cards terminal (Early game) is pretty important.

Right, of course. I'm an idiot. I forgot the OTHER thing that Draw-To-X cards do, and that's defend against discard attacks. I was thinking about it as a Draw-two, or in situations where you have Lab or WV/Rabble first, a draw-nothing. But if you start with 3 cards...derp.

I really should have remembered that since I remember winning a 4P IRL Library-BM game against Goons, to the point where I was buying Provinces consistently and the other players actually started yelling at each other to stop playing Goons because it was helping me too much.

Orange

• 2012 WBC Champion
  • 2012 WBC Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2016, 06:46:55 pm »
+1

Preliminary Round Game 2 (Base + Prosperity option)
2 Moat
3 Loan, Watchtower
4 Militia, Remodel, Worker's Village
5 Hoard, Laboratory, Market, Rabble

2/5 again, Moat/Laboratory.  Perhaps it should have been Remodel or even Militia?  Anyway bad luck here as I would've much rather opened Watchtower/Remodel.  Finished second in this one, a bit behind the same guy who won the first game.  He had some odd mannerisms, and I took notice of his shuffling during the last game.  On one of the final turns, he played a Loan with only a card or two left in his deck.  No Treasure there so he had to shuffle.  I'm quite certain his deck had a Hoard, two Golds, and one Copper in it at that point.  He shuffled quite a bit, stopped, straightened the cards, looked down at the top, then shuffled a couple more times.  Guess what the top card was after he was done?  It may have just been awkwardness and good luck, but then I started thinking back to the first game.  However, I had no certainty of any wrongdoing, so what could I do?  With 7 advancement points, I was likely out of the tournament.

Just for fun, here are the setups used in the Base only option for the prelims.

Preliminary Round Game 1 (Base only option)
2 Moat
3 Village, Workshop
4 Militia, Moneylender, Smithy, Spy
5 Council Room, Laboratory, Mine

I didn't play this one, but Smithy/Big Money is probably a decent option here.

Preliminary Round Game 2 (Base only option)
2 Moat
3 Village, Woodcutter, Workshop
4 Bureaucrat, Gardens, Remodel
5 Council Room, Market, Witch

Workshop/Gardens jumps right out, and Gardens makes the curses more palatable.  Gotta grab Gardens early in this one with four players I suspect, so perhaps there is a better choice but I doubt it.

With 83 total entrants this year, that meant that there would be 32 qualifiers into the quarterfinals.  I was #38, so 6th alternate.  It turned out that 3 alternates were needed, and of the alternates that showed, I was the second-highest so I got in.  Lucky break!  Here's the first quarterfinal game:

Quarterfinal Round Game 1 (Intrigue, Seaside)
2 Lighthouse
3 Great Hall, Masquerade
4 Island, Mining Village, Salvager
5 Bazaar, Ghost Ship, Tactician
6 Harem

Orange

• 2012 WBC Champion
  • 2012 WBC Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2016, 06:51:51 pm »
+1

4P is rough. To mitigate "hey, the game's already over!" syndrome, we always play 4P with 16 Provinces IRL; 4 each, just like 2P. Sure, the games sometimes end on piles, but pile control is a more interesting element than just losing the race to 3 Provinces.

I agree with the syndrome, but that is part of what I like about the tournament.  Like every non-casual Dominion player, I prefer 2p.  I'm now used to getting fewer turns in a 4p game than I do in 2p, and am able to adjust accordingly.  At this point, I think my experience with this format for the tournament is an edge for me.  The second year I played, theory was at my first-round table.  Both games, his engine was much better than mine.  I think I finished 3rd and 4th in the two games and got eliminated.  Hindsight, I realized that if after recognizing I wasn't going to beat him, had I switched to greening early, I likely could've gotten two 2nds  and advanced.  The metagame adds a bit to the experience for sure.

Chris is me

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2016, 07:50:20 am »
+1

I really don't think Remodel opening in a Militia game, not to mention a 4P Militia game, is any good. It's just too slow. Without opening a terminal Silver you can't hit $5 early (maybe you just can't hit $5 early in either case TBH). It is attractive to Remodel Estates into WV though, and eventually Silvers into Labs or whatever.

Quarterfinal game: A 4P Ghost Ship game is even worse than a 4P Miltia game. You need to trash ASAP so you don't keep landing did turns, but you can fall into a Masquerade trap where you trash faster than everyone else and run out of junk to pass, especially with Ghost Ship everywhere. I'd consider Lighthouse / Masq and then a second Lighthouse on the second shuffle and just try to always keep them out. You have a lot of engine support here. Tactician is also an interesting Ghost Ship response, but Ghost Ship hurts Tac a lot more than Militia does, so it's something to be careful of. Ultimately you end up building something that can sputter out $8 a turn a few times while everyone else is getting attacked, and try to just get an early point lead, if the game goes on longer than you expect and you over Green then island bails you out.

bug me on discord

they/them

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2016, 08:34:31 am »
+1

I really don't think Remodel opening in a Militia game, not to mention a 4P Militia game, is any good. It's just too slow.

Remember the 'first game' engine.

Chris is me

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2016, 09:06:12 am »
+1

I really don't think Remodel opening in a Militia game, not to mention a 4P Militia game, is any good. It's just too slow.

Remember the 'first game' engine.

A few key differences here:

1. First Game had both village and primary draw in the $4 or less range.
2. First Game was analyzed from a 2P perspective, where one could not expect a Militia attack every turn. Or any turn? Wasn't it always benchmarked against Smithy BM?

Very possible you're right and I'm wrong here, I'll give you that. I've just been burned by Remodel before, I guess.

It would be fun to set up a play night where four people gather to play all these kingdoms with each other online. 4P Dominion isn't as fun as 2P Dominion, but I think a small portion of the hate it gets is from players too comfortable with 2P tactics being frustrated with the lack of time.

bug me on discord

they/them

Orange

• 2012 WBC Champion
  • 2012 WBC Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2016, 11:33:31 pm »

I really don't think Remodel opening in a Militia game, not to mention a 4P Militia game, is any good. It's just too slow. Without opening a terminal Silver you can't hit $5 early (maybe you just can't hit $5 early in either case TBH). It is attractive to Remodel Estates into WV though, and eventually Silvers into Labs or whatever.

On Remodel in the Militia game, I liked Remodel more with Watchtower to put the gained cards on top.

Orange

• 2012 WBC Champion
  • 2012 WBC Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2016, 11:36:43 pm »

Oddly, I had weaker competition in the quarterfinal than I did in the first round.  Masquerade/Silver was my 3/4 open.  This one slogged with Ghost Ship.  I used Masquerade and Tactician along with Ghost Ship to win this one pretty handily.  I got a little support with MV and had a Lighthouse or two.  Others were enamored with Island (too slow and awful with reduced hand sizes).  I was happy to pull off a Ghost Ship then Masquerade combo to force my right-hand opponent to pass me some good stuff a couple times which was fun.

Quarterfinal Round Game 2 (Intrigue, Prosperity)
Colony/Platinum
2 Courtyard
3 Shanty Town, Watchtower
4 Bridge, Worker's Village
5 Royal Seal, Torturer, Upgrade
6 Grand Market
7 Bank

Orange

• 2012 WBC Champion
  • 2012 WBC Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2016, 11:42:50 am »

QF Game 2 (above) is a race to Grand Market, in my opinion.  Silver/Bridge for me in this one, with a Turn 3 Upgrade.  Once I got to GM then it was just add lots of fun parts like WV, Bridge, and Bank and capped it off with a mega turn that put me near 80 points for the game.

A double win with some big scores made me the number one qualifier for the semifinals.  This was 12 players playing for 4 spots in the final, again based on AP.  My table included a previous champ, a 9-year-old, and the villain from the opening round.  Fortunately, we cut our opponents' decks after each shuffle starting in this round so I didn't feel the need to spend much energy on my earlier suspicions.  I was probably off base anyway.

Semifinal Round Game 1 (Cornucopia, Hinterlands)
2 Duchess
3 Menagerie, Develop
4 Farming Village, Horse Traders, Spice Merchant
5 Horn of Plenty, Hunting Party, Ill-Gotten Gains, Margrave

This was the key game of the event for me.  How do you open here, both 3/4 and 2/5?  Midgame?  Endgame?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 12:38:19 pm by Orange »

Chris is me

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2016, 09:33:03 am »

I keep forgetting to reply to this thread so I'm gonna start this reply on my phone. That way every time I look at my phone at work I can add to it.

QF2 is saved from being an awful game with the presence of both Watchtower and Upgrade to neuter Torturer. If your opponents don't wisely choose to defend themselves from that, a Torturer chain executed first almost wins you the game. But people will pick up Watchtowers and Upgrades for sure, so... I think the Grand Market split ends up being the most important one to win, as once you get a few of those you can sprinkle in whatever Bridges and Worker's Villages and whatnot that you need to snag a few Colonies and pile out. But maybe pile control strategies are less reliable in four player? You have to be really careful. But all those gains really do help.

SF1: The trashing here is weak enough that IGG is a real threat, as you can only Develop Curses. Speaking of, Develop is super strong here, with multiple $3 cost components for Estates to turn into, IGG upgrading into Gold, etc. I would strongly consider Develop / SM and not draw first blood with the IGGs. I like Horse Traders as a way to hit $5 consistently and also to defend against Margrave. Hunting Party lets you get an engine running with a clogged deck, so it's the primary draw card here. Whether you go for an IGG slog where you run out the VP and Develop key cards into Gold to spike a Province, or you go for the engine in the face of the slog, highly depends on what your opponents do. But with three opponents, it doesn't take much buy in to the IGG strategy from them for this game to be a sloggy mess. So maybe you do just buy Silver / HT and slog it out.

bug me on discord

they/them

Orange

• 2012 WBC Champion
  • 2012 WBC Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2016, 07:55:52 pm »
+1

Semifinal Round Game 1 (Cornucopia, Hinterlands)
2 Duchess
3 Horse Traders, Menagerie, Develop
4 Farming Village, Spice Merchant
5 Horn of Plenty, Hunting Party, Ill-Gotten Gains, Margrave

Interesting that Chris is me suggests Develop.  That's a card I often shy away from.  With Margrave reducing hand size, I'm not sure I like Develop, but I may be wrong.  Here's what I wrote after the match:

Yet another board where I've got a clear 4/3 open option (Spice Merchant and Horse Traders, or even SM/Silver) but I drew 2/5.  So I had two decisions--which 5-cost, and Duchess or No Duchess.  This is the moment that I lost.  I narrowed the fives down to Margrave or Hunting Party.  With Menagerie on board encouraging diversity, I talked myself into HP.  Mistake #1!  Then, far, far worse, I convinced myself that with an HP in my deck, I needed something for it to draw on the first play, so I bought a (gasp) Duchess on turn one.  Ugh.  Followed it with the HP on turn two.  For turn three, I drew Copper, Copper, Estate, Estate, Estate.  So of course (no he didn't!) I bought yet another Duchess.  Three turns in and I have two Duchesses.  Quite a performance from your number one qualifier.  Just to make certain I did enough damage to my chances, I made it a bit worse.  I knew I was behind so I decided I needed IGG to slow everybody down.  The young player followed suit, and we held down everyone's scores to hurt us all in the tiebreaker.  I finished a well-deserved fourth and was, in all likelihood, eliminated.  The former champ won, and the villain finished 2nd.

Semifinal Round Game 2 (Hinterlands, Dark Ages)
Shelters, Ruins/Spoils
2 Vagrant
3 Oracle, Storeroom
4 Fortress, Marauder, Rats
5 Embassy, Count, Junk Dealer
6 Farmland

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2016, 05:17:04 pm »
+3

Yet another board where I've got a clear 4/3 open option (Spice Merchant and Horse Traders, or even SM/Silver) but I drew 2/5.
Horse Traders costs $4 dude. There's a $3 on it, but not where the cost goes.

In Hinterlands testing I endlessly opened Develop / Spice Merchant. It's pretty sweet.

Orange

• 2012 WBC Champion
  • 2012 WBC Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2016, 10:17:51 pm »

Yet another board where I've got a clear 4/3 open option (Spice Merchant and Horse Traders, or even SM/Silver) but I drew 2/5.
Horse Traders costs $4 dude. There's a $3 on it, but not where the cost goes.

In Hinterlands testing I endlessly opened Develop / Spice Merchant. It's pretty sweet.

I caught the mistake a few posts up, then copied and pasted the text in a text file which was still wrong.  Obv I can't open SM/HT, but I had 5/2 so it didn't matter.

Develop/Spice Merchant.  I'm struggling to wrap my mind around it but you've given me an excuse to play more Dominion to figure it out.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2016, 04:43:15 am »
+1

Trash coppers and get silvers; how is this a bad opening?

Chris is me

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2016, 07:44:53 am »
+1

Develop / SM is pretty good. They can never collide (nonterminal choice for Spice Merchant), and Develop handles all your Estates while SM handles your Coppers. Eventually you can Develop your Spice Merchant too in order to get a $5 and a Silver. With even just a little synergy for Develop its worth considering.

bug me on discord

they/them
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 21 queries.