Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: World Boardgaming Championships 2016 Dominion tournament recap  (Read 7802 times)

Orange

• 2012 WBC Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Orange
  • 2012 WBC Champion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
Re: World Boardgaming Championships 2016 Dominion tournament recap
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2016, 09:35:17 pm »

Semifinal Round Game 2 (Hinterlands, Dark Ages)
Shelters, Ruins/Spoils
2 Vagrant
3 Oracle, Storeroom
4 Fortress, Marauder, Rats
5 Embassy, Count, Junk Dealer
6 Farmland

One more 2/5 open for me.  Vagrant/JD was my choice, and I quickly added Marauder and Count.  This worked well enough for me, and I pulled out a win by 10 or so.  We all missed Rats/Farmland, which, in hindsight, may have been the best choice.

The only consolation was ending it with the villain in 3rd, meaning that with 7 AP, he was third at our table and done.  The former champ had a 1st and a 2nd for 13 AP, and I had 8 which kept me hoping for some double-winners at the other two tables.  (If the other two tables both had the same player win both games, my 8 AP would get me into the finals.)  My luck ran out at that point (one table had three people with 10 each) and I ended up 7th.  Very disappointing because 6th or better earns WBC laurels, and I only needed a few to move into 1st all-time in the event.

So I missed out on the finals this year, but asked the GM to send me the details.  It has become common over the past few years for a few wrinkles to be added in the finals.  For instance, one year we played a finals game with 6 Copper and 4 Estates, a fixed 3/3 open, and Embargo tokens on the Silver and Gold piles, plus a 60-card Curse deck.  This year there were some fun twists again.  I played both games with my game group and enjoyed them quite a bit.

Final Round Game 1 (B, I, S, P, Al, H, D, G, Ad)
2 Pearl Diver
3 Great Hall, Shanty Town
4 Advisor, Militia, Quarry
5 Haggler, Highway, Witch
6 Hunting Grounds
Setup:  Each player secretly chooses 3 of these 10 cards to be shuffled into starting deck:
  Candlestick Maker, Courtyard, Crossroads, Haven, Herbalist, Lighthouse, Moat, Native Village, Raze, Stonemason

How would you play this one?

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
Re: World Boardgaming Championships 2016 Dominion tournament recap
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2016, 10:57:59 pm »
+2

Choose Raze + Lighthouse + Candlestick Maker. Logic goes like so:
  • In a multiplayer game you're going to get attacked more often, Lighthouse blocks longer and is just the better card.
  • Raze is a better trasher than Stonemason early, Militia + Witch give very good incentive to aim for an engine.
  • You want a +Buy, and actions are at a premium given Shanty Town is the only +Actions card, making Candlestick Maker the best choice for that
I can see an argument for picking Courtyard and trying to rush with a money strategy, but that doesn't feel good enough.

I would probably then pick up Shanty Town + Quarry ASAP (note Shanty Town is always +2 Cards early because we only picked non-terminals.) From there, I'm not too sure. Probably want 1 Witch then 1 Haggler. Then, don't try to build up too much because piles are going empty faster. You probably start greening when you get Haggler in play with $8.

Edit: Stonemason is cute to trash actions you buy for cheap from Quarry, but it seems too convoluted - need to waste a shuffle and it only gains you 1 extra Action. Crossroads + Great Hall is also cute, but doesn't really work when you only have 1 Crossroads to work with. With Quarry and Highway in the kingdom, I think the +Buy actually is that important.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 10:59:35 pm by Titandrake »
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 20 queries.