Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Advice on how to play this board  (Read 1589 times)

theJester

• Bishop
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
Advice on how to play this board
« on: August 18, 2016, 05:20:50 pm »

Code: [Select]
Doctor, Masquerade, Gardens, Militia, Duke, Festival, Harvest, Highway, Market, Wharf
The only thing that was clear to me was that this was strong engine and that I don't want Gardens, Duke or Harvest in my deck. Everything else was under question mark. So:

1) Basic strategy I went for was Festival-Wharf engine with Masquerades for trashing and Highways for payload. To build up and gain insurmountable lead in one megaturn. As a strategy, this was good and fast, but is there anything better?
2) Do you want Market here? It just seemed abundant to get them, with Wharf being just better in any way.
3) Is Militia useful here at all? Early in the game for hinder your opponent from reaching $5 and later in the game for infamous Militia-Masq combo? My opponent got one early and he didn't manage to utilize it well, with many terminal collisions with Masq and Wharf.
4) Let's say you trashed enough and want to gain these lovely $5 cards. In what order do you gain them? I'd like to hear answers like e.g. "'I'd first get 1 X, then several Y, then gang up on X and Z..."
5) How would you open on 3/4 and on 5/2 (mind you, not 2/5. With Doctor distinction is important)

Log: http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?http://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20160818/log.0.1471545084791.txt

edit: posted wrong log
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 08:00:22 am by theJester »

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on how to play this board
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 05:36:26 pm »
+1

1) Basic strategy I went for was Festival-Wharf engine with Masquerades for trashing and Highways for payload. To build up and gain insurmountable lead in one megaturn. As a strategy, this was good and fast, but is there anything better?

That's the best strategy.

2) Do you want Market here? It just seemed abundant to get them, with Wharf being just better in any way.

Festival and Wharf are better sources of +buys here. Market might be useful if you need more buys but can't lower the Festival or Wharf piles without risking a three-pile.

3) Is Militia useful here at all? Early in the game for hinder your opponent from reaching $5 and later in the game for infamous Militia-Masq combo? My opponent got one early and he didn't manage to utilize it well, with many terminal collisions with Masq and Wharf.

It competes for actions with Wharf, and since Festival, Wharf, and Highway all cost $5, you aren't going to have many spare actions.

Opening is probably Masq-Silver on 3/4 or 4/3, Doctor on 5/2, and Wharf on 2/5. On 3/4, I'd be tempted by Festival + 2 Masquerades to start to trash down, followed by 1 Wharf, 1 more Festival, 1 more Wharf, then Highways. But it will depend on your draws to some extent.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 08:01:18 pm »
+1

You really need an early Militia here. Every good component except Masquerade costs $5, and it basically forces your opponent to buy several Slivers in order to consistently get components. Skipping Militia seems unwise.

I'd open Miltia / Masq and get Silvers on the second shuffle, then go for the power $5s. The order in which to get them is tricky.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 09:02:12 pm »
+2

Militia/Masquerade is a f****g bitch to play against. Other than that, a pretty typical board. I'd build the Wharf Festival engine for sure, but I'd open Mask/Silver and then Militia on first $4 over another Silver/Mask.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 20 queries.