Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
GG EZ
« on: August 18, 2016, 08:58:15 am »
+5

http://www.cnet.com/news/blizzard-trolls-overwatch-trolls-in-new-patch/

I’m reminded of earlier conversations on here about whether it was considered polite or condescending to say GG before the game is officially over.

Apparently, on Overwatch, people would flout their leet gaming skills by starting off with a polite “good game” but ending it with a condescending “you were easy.” As one may find online, it was shortened to GG EZ. I can see why facing these people would be frustrating.

So Blizzard is looking to do away with that. Typing in GG EZ in chat replaces it with something silly.

The nice thing is that this probably won’t affect GG at all. People can still be sincere in their congratulation. Of course, douchebaggery will evolve into something not involving GG EZ.
A man has no signature

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
Re: GG EZ
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 09:44:01 am »
+2

I play sc2 and saying gg before opponent is impolite, yes.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 10:19:56 am »
+2

I play DotA 2. Not saying "gg ez" before the game ends is a sign of weakness! Seriously, though. It's rude.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3233
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 11:26:11 am »

That's pretty awesome.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2016, 05:33:26 pm »
+1

I play DotA 2. Not saying "gg ez" before the game ends is a sign of weakness! Seriously, though. It's rude.

It's really one of the "words" you hear most in Dota:

I sometimes use it sarcastically

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5161
    • View Profile

What kind of move is that, referencing that discussion without making the appropriate joke?

gg ez.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2016, 02:01:36 am »

I'm amused at how big "report" is in there.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2016, 05:30:35 am »

I'm amused at how big "report" is in there.

Mid as well. So ez to blame mid, your own if you lose and the opponent's if you win. DotA players are often not very nice.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2016, 01:55:44 pm »
+6

I skimmed through the feedback thread on this feature and it is incredible. One guy is whining about how the filter phrases hurt his feelings while simultaneously arguing that "gg ez"  is totally inoffensive and that the people who are offended by it need to grow a thicker skin. Another guy is posting essays about how how you should be allowed to be a total jerk because being offended is all in your head and you can simply be a strong man who doesn't get offended by anything. Others are saying that Blizzard wasted precious time and resources on this very complicated feature that must have taken at least 3 minutes to script. And a few stalwart souls are saying the filter is pointless because it's so easy to get around, yet they keep complaining about that same filter.

The hypocrisy and lack of self-awareness would make me worry for humanity, but it's nice to see that those are the posts getting all the down votes.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2016, 02:11:57 pm »

I skimmed through the feedback thread on this feature and it is incredible. One guy is whining about how the filter phrases hurt his feelings while simultaneously arguing that "gg ez"  is totally inoffensive and that the people who are offended by it need to grow a thicker skin. Another guy is posting essays about how how you should be allowed to be a total jerk because being offended is all in your head and you can simply be a strong man who doesn't get offended by anything. Others are saying that Blizzard wasted precious time and resources on this very complicated feature that must have taken at least 3 minutes to script. And a few stalwart souls are saying the filter is pointless because it's so easy to get around, yet they keep complaining about that same filter.

The hypocrisy and lack of self-awareness would make me worry for humanity, but it's nice to see that those are the posts getting all the down votes.

Man, have these people never been on the Internet before? Silly word filters are the best.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2016, 02:20:03 pm »
+1

One guy is whining about how the filter phrases hurt his feelings while simultaneously arguing that "gg ez"  is totally inoffensive and that the people who are offended by it need to grow a thicker skin.

Ha, ha, those are classic. The sense of entitlement is high among those losers. Of course, some of them may be intentionally being silly, but it’s hard to tell on the Internet.

I know that on Fark, they changed the filter so that if the first commenter posts, “First,” it is changed to “Boobies,” and moved somewhere farther down the comment history. So I guess suddenly you might find a non-sequitur “Boobies” in the middle of a conversation.

I just kind of want to insert “Boobies” in all the threads now.
A man has no signature

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2016, 04:45:30 pm »

One guy is whining about how the filter phrases hurt his feelings while simultaneously arguing that "gg ez"  is totally inoffensive and that the people who are offended by it need to grow a thicker skin.

Ha, ha, those are classic. The sense of entitlement is high among those losers. Of course, some of them may be intentionally being silly, but it’s hard to tell on the Internet.

I know that on Fark, they changed the filter so that if the first commenter posts, “First,” it is changed to “Boobies,” and moved somewhere farther down the comment history. So I guess suddenly you might find a non-sequitur “Boobies” in the middle of a conversation.

I just kind of want to insert “Boobies” in all the threads now.

Oh man, I've spent so much time on Fark.  Mostly away from there lately.

Usually, only "First post" and variations thereof are filtered, unless they're actually the first post in the thread as well.  This makes for some incredibly amusing discussions of voting systems, because "first past the post" gets filtered to "boobies the post."
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2016, 04:45:30 pm »

The Awkward Zombie comic's forum filters pokemon to something like animal fighting, which makes things pretty amusing considering how often Pokemon is the entire focus of a comic.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

faust

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2016, 01:33:44 pm »

Another guy is posting essays about how how you should be allowed to be a total jerk because being offended is all in your head and you can simply be a strong man who doesn't get offended by anything.

*Awaclus pops up*

I think you have found Awaclus's account on another forum!

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2016, 01:57:36 pm »

Another guy is posting essays about how how you should be allowed to be a total jerk because being offended is all in your head and you can simply be a strong man who doesn't get offended by anything.

*Awaclus pops up*

I think you have found Awaclus's account on another forum!

It's true that being offended is all in your head and that you can simply be a strong man who doesn't get offended by anything. What follows is that you should hold everyone else to that same standard as well, and then it's just pointless to say stuff that has no purpose beyond attempting to offend someone (such as gg ez).
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

faust

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2016, 02:24:57 pm »

But isn't all life ultimately pointless?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2016, 02:47:37 pm »

But isn't all life ultimately pointless?

Not if you can enjoy it.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1384
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2016, 02:54:17 pm »

On another forum I'm on, there are lots of silly swearfilters. There was one poster who used to respond to almost every discussion point with "And??". The admins got rather fed up with this, and so swearchecked "And??" into "I have nothing of interest to say on this or any other matter".
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2016, 03:11:39 pm »

I guess censorship can be amusing when it is happening to the guy you don't like or agree with?
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2016, 03:21:32 pm »
+1

I guess censorship can be amusing when it is happening to the guy you don't like or agree with?

No. This isn't censorship, it's a word filter. Word filters are inherently amusing.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2016, 03:47:18 pm »
+1

lmao qq more about your free speech rights being infringed by a video game
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2016, 07:01:36 pm »

Lmao overreact and act as if I give a shit.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2016, 07:03:51 pm »

It's censorship in the sense that you can no longer express that exact phrase in the game. It's not censorship in the sense that you can still express the same sentiment in more eloquent ways in the game, or you can use that phrase practically anywhere else.

Word filters are inherently amusing.
This much is true. The xkcd forums are pretty good for wordfilters - the historical filters for "lol", "omg" and "qft" were all amusing enough that they became memes in their own rights, and once a year they let the mods put in whatever filters they want (which now typically includes at least one incident where everything is filtered to the same text and the forum just about crashes - one year the text was "Hodor").

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2016, 10:36:16 am »
+2

Boobies.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3233
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2016, 02:55:48 pm »

Boobies.

I wish people said that instead of GG EZ. That would be amazing progress.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 20 queries.