Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Band of Misfits and Gear  (Read 3389 times)

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
Band of Misfits and Gear
« on: August 17, 2016, 02:52:16 pm »

I miscounted and thought Treasure Hunter worked incorrectly on MF, sorry!

Here's an actual bug to report, courtesy of Mic Qsenoch: If you play Band of Misfits as a Gear and set aside zero cards, it still stays out until the following turn. I alerted Making Fun on their forums.

Feature request for the new Dominion online: a counter of how many cards your opponent gained on their last turn in games with Treasure Hunter, so you don't need to scroll through the log and count! Which apparently was enough to mess me up!

Feature request for these forums: the ability to delete your own thread if no one has yet replied to the original post!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 04:33:22 pm by JW »

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
Re: Band of Misfits and Gear
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 04:15:36 pm »
+2

Hey I found a real bug today so you can just edit the OP and title! If you play BoM as a Gear and set aside zero cards, it still stays out until the following turn.

edit: similar thing with Haven as well. I assume it's that way with all the other durations that can do "nothing" but I'm not going to check.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 04:28:43 pm by Mic Qsenoch »

jaybeez

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: jaybeez
  • Respect: +395
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 08:00:54 pm »

I actually didn't know the official ruling about setting aside zero cards with Gear/Haven.  Why does it work that way?  I don't get the reasoning behind that ruling.  To me that seems to contradict the "do as much as you can" principle (i.e., why don't you keep Gear/Haven out, then try to put the set-aside cards into your hand at the start of your next turn, but fail to do so because there are no set-aside cards?)  Note that I'm not arguing that the ruling should be different, I'm just confused as to why that ruling is the way it is.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 08:02:18 pm by jaybeez »

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 08:03:24 pm »

I actually didn't know the official ruling about setting aside zero cards with Gear.  Why does it work that way?  I don't get the reasoning behind that ruling.  To me that seems to contradict the "do as much as you can" principle (i.e., why don't you keep Gear out, then try to put the set-aside cards into your hand at the start of your next turn, but fail to do so because there are no set-aside cards?)  Note that I'm not arguing that the ruling should be different, I'm just confused as to why that ruling is the way it is.

I think the idea is that you leave the duration card out if it needs to do something on a subsequent turn. You know when to discard Archive, for example, based on the number of cards left: http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/Archive

Infthitbox

• Explorer
  • Respect: +440
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 08:03:52 pm »
+2

I actually didn't know the official ruling about setting aside zero cards with Gear/Haven.  Why does it work that way?  I don't get the reasoning behind that ruling.  To me that seems to contradict the "do as much as you can" principle (i.e., why don't you keep Gear/Haven out, then try to put the set-aside cards into your hand at the start of your next turn, but fail to do so because there are no set-aside cards?)  Note that I'm not arguing that the ruling should be different, I'm just confused as to why that ruling is the way it is.

I believe the ruling for Duration cards is that they stay out for as long as they are "doing something". If you don't set aside cards with Gear/Haven, they have "nothing to do", so they don't get set aside.

EDIT: ninja'd

jaybeez

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2016, 08:06:09 pm »

Okay.  So if you play an Outpost on your Outpost turn, not only do you not get another Outpost turn, both your duration Outpost and your played-this-turn Outpost get discarded because the played-this-turn Outpost "isn't doing anything"?  I guess that makes sense.  Thanks.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2016, 08:08:28 pm »

Okay.  So if you play an Outpost on your Outpost turn, not only do you not get another Outpost turn, both your duration Outpost and your played-this-turn Outpost get discarded because the played-this-turn Outpost "isn't doing anything"?  I guess that makes sense.  Thanks.

Your Outpost played on an Outpost turn is actually discarded during the clean up phase of the turn of the player following you. Even though it doesn't cause an extra turn, the clean up effect still happens, so the card needs to be out while Action cards are being discarded.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2016, 08:10:05 pm »
+3

No.

Quote from: Wiki
Playing Throne Room (or similar cards) on Outpost would seem to do nothing; the Clean-up effect can't stack, and Outpost prevents further extra turns. However, because the check to see if an extra turn can happen occurs after Outpost is supposed to be discarded, a Throne Room played on an Outpost also has to stay out (unlike with Tactician), and both the Throne Room and the Outpost would stay in play after the Outpost turn has finished, because they will try (and fail) to give you a third turn.
Similarly, playing multiple Outposts on a turn (or an Outpost during an Outpost or Mission turn, or a turn after being Possessed) will result in extra Outposts staying in play; only the Outpost that successfully gave you an extra turn gets discarded.
Bear in mind that extra Outposts, even though they will not give you extra turns, will still make you draw only 3 cards during Clean-up on the turn they are played.

jaybeez

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2016, 08:16:03 pm »

This is why I'll never design a game.  I get to this point in a rules discussion and the conclusion I inevitably come to is "You know what?  I don't think I care anymore."

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2016, 08:21:36 pm »
+1

This is why I'll never design a game.  I get to this point in a rules discussion and the conclusion I inevitably come to is "You know what?  I don't think I care anymore."

For what it's worth, there are probably ways Outpost could have been worded to avoid this, as demonstrated on Mission. The card could have read "If the previous turn wasn't yours, (3 cards on clean up take an extra turn after this blah blah blah)", and future Outpost plays would fail the if check on-play and not stay out.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2016, 05:20:14 pm »

For what it's worth, there are probably ways Outpost could have been worded to avoid this, as demonstrated on Mission. The card could have read "If the previous turn wasn't yours, (3 cards on clean up take an extra turn after this blah blah blah)", and future Outpost plays would fail the if check on-play and not stay out.

I refer you this thread: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13095.0
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.159 seconds with 23 queries.