Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: empires: gladiator, fortune  (Read 3053 times)

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
empires: gladiator, fortune
« on: August 16, 2016, 10:00:41 pm »

um, excuse me, i was under the impression that i would get gold and stuff. these are boogers shaped into coins

fortune is maybe as good as/maybe a little bit worse than it looks. in its prime you can maybe expect it to be a treasure worth, i dunno, $20? the gold-gaining sort of runs counter to what the money-doubling wants to do. gladiator, on the other hand, was very easy for me to glaze over but it is actually not very bad at all. it was a terminal silver that seemed like it should've been an attack but it's not, booooring! what's this other thing under it?
   but i mean it is not hard to get $3 with this at all. of course, it wasn't until the first time that i played with it that i learned that you could get $3 at all. all you need to do is have a card that isn't covered by your opponent's, what, three different cards that she drew? and quite often you will have cards that your opponent never even considered buying, or maybe only picked up one of. very good with shelters also

-what effect does the gladio-trashing have other than pushing fortune out sooner?
-how long can you think about which card to reveal before the host is allowed to kick you out
-how many money have you fortuned
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

dedicateddan

• 2017 Dominion Online Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: dan brooks
  • Respect: +1058
    • View Profile
Re: empires: gladiator, fortune
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 10:39:42 pm »

These cards fit particularly well into engine. Gladiator reveals components your opponent doesn't have (or has in discard) and playing fortune the turn after you gain it helps with the debt cost. Fortune also gives +1 Buy, which, hey, isn't nothing

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 12:40:18 am »

Played a game the other day with Gladiator/Fortune, Grand Market, King's Court, and Donate. That was pretty amusing.

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1493
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 01:36:22 am »

I haven't gotten to play with these in an engine yet, but I did play a game that basically amounted to Gladiator-Fortune-BM and it was actually really good. I think these are a lot better than you might think.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 02:43:59 am »

There is a reason Fortune is the most expensive card in the game.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2016, 08:37:30 am »

I have for one reason or another played with this pile more than any other Empires pile. Big Money or engine, I have never regretted getting Fortune. Though obviously, it's not as good for Big Money. Anyways, buy this card you dummy.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2016, 11:41:03 am »
+3

From the secret history outtakes:

- I tried several cards that cost a lot but let you go into Debt, that tried to look impressive and in the end were too impressive. First up, a new extra-turn card. I also had double your $ in Fortune, and I felt like, double your $, with +1 Buy, was like an extra turn but way way faster to resolve.

Fortune is like the fixed version of Possession.
A) It's way faster to resolve
B) You can only get an "extra" turn once per turn
C) The price is more appropriately large
D) All players get access to it at about the same time, because you can usually produce $8 by the time Gladiators run out.
E) As a treasure, you won't draw it dead
F) There are fewer rules questions
G) It doesn't do funky stuff, like incenting you to make your own deck terrible.

Fortune is so good.  For a while I thought Gladiator was really good simply because it gets me to Fortune.  Then I realized that everyone else gets to Fortune too.

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1731
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2016, 01:45:48 pm »
+3

There is a reason Fortune is the most expensive card in the game.
But is it strictly more expensive than Transmute?

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2016, 07:23:40 pm »

so use this amongst yourselves to choose who has to do the last 21 threads. have fun!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 07:25:50 pm by schadd »
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

jomini

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +768
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2016, 12:45:51 pm »

Gladiator looks like it will mostly be a speed bump on the way to Fortune ... but it has a few nice shots of its own:
1. It gets a LOT better on Shelter boards. You have much higher odds of having a true unique on T3/T4 so you have a lot better odds of $6. I would likely go for Gladiator for a lot of big $6 cards like Altar.
2. Gladiator is incredibly efficient in terms of space and opportunity cost for bulking up on cash for Tr/Kc/Rc/Crown type setups as you can try different cards each turn to maximize cash. Most +3$ coin cards require you to give up a $5 gain, this does not.
3. Gladiator is a very nice tactical add-on to a Prize engine or a Bm deck, again do not underestimate getting a "gold" for $3. If you think all the other gold equivalents (Cache, Count, Contraband, etc.) they typically cost $5 and require to accept some sort of penalty. He is one of the better $3's in the Bm deck a lot of the time (either because the trashing is redundant & the attacks or weak ... or the Bm deck has not a lot at that price point).

Fortune is actually kinda boring. The first turn you buy it (T1), you pay $8. The next turn it doubles that $8 for any sort of engine so you are just back on a province a turn. By the third turn (T3), you are entirely caught back up and it is gravy. If you have more than $8 you can break even that much sooner. Unless the points are going to sell out in the next two turns or the game is that close to ending, it is useful to get it.

Pretty much all the tactical decisions seem to revolve around do I intentionally not reveal a match - which is basically give him +1$ if it enables you to get first crack at Fortune and when to gain Gladiator. I could see some MAD with no one going Gladiator in order to have better cash per hand (say thanks to Steward instead) when the Fortunes are finally revealed ... but there seem to be precious, precious few cases where you want to delay Fortune or buy more than 1 (maybe 2 in BM).
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 20 queries.