Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: 2 Grand Market games I lost to a better players... but what games!  (Read 714 times)

Asklepios

• Duke
  • Respect: +117
    • View Profile

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120127-115315-9a230d05.html

I was R33 at the time of the match, StealthTomato was R40, I think. Needless to say, I was nervous. I'm not a bad Dominion player, but I'm not a GREAT one either.

So, a commentary:

With Grand Markets on the board, good trashing and no attacks, clearly this game was going to be won or lost by Grand Markets.

I studied the board and formulated my plan: Loan for trashing, plus a Silver to move towards $5. The goal here would be to Vault as soon as possible, then to use Vault to get Grand Markets consistently. Remake tweaked at the back of my head, as I knew that it was technically faster than Loan, but I was dreading losing the tirns that you spend implementing Remake and where you can't buy anything of worth.

As you can see, I was quite wrong here. I'd entirely neglected the fact that Remake can switch Vaults to Grand Markets once you're done with them, and how well Upgrade (normally a seriously weak card for $5) would synergise in with the superbly thin deck my opponent created.

And here's another GM game I played yesterday:

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120127-065233-84a592cc.html

This one had an opening I felt proud of.

Horse Traders/Embargo for me. Sure, they're both terminals, but Horse Trader is less prone to clashing because it discards to activate and Embargo is a one shot.
Why was Embargo my buy rather than Silver?

Because my opponents first buy was Mint. That left $2 in his deck.

My thought was that if I could get an Embargo down on silver before my opponent bought one, that'd be an excellent early lock out.

As you can see, my opponent manoeuvred out of that trap, and then proceeded to dominate, thanks to... Develop!

My flaw, as a mid-grade player, had been to filter Develop out of the equation before the game had started. Its rubbish, my subconscious said, ignore it.

I could not have been more wrong.

With Elis permission I resigned when it was clear he had me locked out.

The lesson I learnt from these two games was not to ignore Remodeller cards of any sort when looking at the Grand Market race...
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 20 queries.