Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: empires: farmer's' market  (Read 3201 times)

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
empires: farmer's' market
« on: August 15, 2016, 09:14:33 pm »

buy! buy! buy!! b- SELL

if you're the only one buying these and you can play a lot of action cards then this is a good bet. on average $2.5 and buy(although you get more later which sucks) and then the fifth one is a distant lands. and buy. that sounds like a good bet indeed. if there's someone else that's getting them, though, wheew. in theory, if both of you are playing them without paying attention to the other, then the outcome should sort of be the same, with the better-later drawback being closer to moot i think. but oh ho ho, that's not how it goes. it gets a lot more nuclear once both of you have to of these. if you play your two, then the opponent gets to play her two and then the difference between the amount of money that you got and that she got is more than the money that you got. oh but there's also the vp thing that you'll get to do. it's non-linear you guys! and it has an odd number of iterations.

-is it all that nuclear? if you have one and your opponent has three, do you not even bother to play it for $1 or $2?
-is it fun if it's like that?
-is 4vp and trash better than $4?
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
Re: empires: farmer's' market
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 09:30:22 pm »
+1

I don't like Gathering Cards much. Too much player interaction, and it makes me not want to even make these sorts of decisions.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 07:17:53 am »
+1

I don't like Gathering Cards much. Too much player interaction, and it makes me not want to even make these sorts of decisions.

Same problem as Trade Route or Forager.
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

JThorne

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +604
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 10:39:48 am »
+14

Too much player interaction

Mark your calendars. August 16th, 2016, someone complained about an element in Dominion having "too much player interaction." I feel faint.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 12:41:16 pm »

Farmer's Market is one of the most tactical and fun cards in Empires. It's like Duchy dancing in the way you carefully analyze all the outcomes and try to min/max it out, but you don't have to fill your deck with garbage.

You generally want to have two of these, I think, and you want to play them both to get the points with the second one, because then you get a free replacement Farmer's Market and then some. The money is not really that important but hey sometimes you get to buy stuff, and you probably wanted the +Buy anyway.

The bonus VP from this is really good.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 08:57:12 pm »

It's probably one of the cards i hate the most in the entire game. It doesn't feel tactical at all. It's just, sit there, get points, sit here, choose between giving away points or losing $4 this turn. Hooray! Seriously, not everything you have no control over is an exercise for your cleverness. Some things are just random. In fact, the whole gathering concept seems like it was taken from a family game where the goal is to annoy others by beating them to some arbitrary finish line they can't really influence. Yuk.

I give some credit to Temple, because there you can decide yourself when you get the points. I still don't like this game of chicken. But with Temple you're not screwed over by the random nature of the game. With Farmer's Market, oh boy, better get some anger treatment.

About the questions in the OP:
1. No. Instead, wait a shuffle and let your opponent either try to play them all, allowing you to TRY and get the VP, or not play them, harming himself. Of course, if he plays them, you may or may not get yours in time, which is all the "fun" with this card.
2. No, never.
3. Yes, most certainly.

JThorne

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +604
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2016, 09:45:05 am »
+1

Seriously, not everything you have no control over is an exercise for your cleverness. Some things are just random.

YMYOFML

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2016, 09:46:26 am »

Seriously, not everything you have no control over is an exercise for your cleverness. Some things are just random.

YMYOFML

There are definitely games where you have limited control over the Farmer's Market pile, but there are ABSOLUTELY games where you have very fine control of the pile, and those games are fun and exciting. It's disappointing that some shitty games ruined for you what I really think is a fun, great card.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2016, 10:09:34 am »

YMYOFML

There are definitely games where you have limited control over the Farmer's Market pile, but there are ABSOLUTELY games where you have very fine control of the pile, and those games are fun and exciting. It's disappointing that some shitty games ruined for you what I really think is a fun, great card.

Actually, i disliked Farmer's Market from the moment i saw it, and the the games just confirmed my reservations. In other words, the judgement is based on conceptual criticism - not on a trauma.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 20 queries.